XPEnology Community

moving disks with raid5 from MB to raid ctrl

Symbiot78

Hi

I've got a 4 disk Raid5 running on xpenology. All disks are plugged into my motherboard (mb has 4x sata)

I am thinking that I'd gain some speed moving the 4 disks to my dawicontrol raid-controller.. which is already sitting in my server.. but just not in use..

1. would I gain anything?

2. how will the raid5 filesystem react to being moved from what I assume is software raid to hardware raid?

3. is it important that disk1 is plugged into port 1 of the raidcontroller (etc)

Hope you guys can give some advice :smile:

Hi

I've got a 4 disk Raid5 running on xpenology. All disks are plugged into my motherboard (mb has 4x sata)

I am thinking that I'd gain some speed moving the 4 disks to my dawicontrol raid-controller.. which is already sitting in my server.. but just not in use..

1. would I gain anything?

2. how will the raid5 filesystem react to being moved from what I assume is software raid to hardware raid?

3. is it important that disk1 is plugged into port 1 of the raidcontroller (etc)

Hope you guys can give some advice :smile:

Don't do that, will cause data lose.

Synology use a software raid based solution to form up the approach of elastic space and protection balanced SHR raid mode. Which is without any doubt, won't be supported by your raid-controller.

Meanwhile, I believed if you use your raid-controller to host the array, they show up as a single storage instead of several separated disks, and yes, DSM will see only one disk instead, so there are little chance to preserve existing data.

Edited by Guest