XPEnology Community

LAN 3 and LAN 4 no DHCP

mr9v9

My grub.cfg file is configured correctly with all the hardware NIC's mapped to their MAC addresses, and set netif_num=4. The other two interfaces would only come up manually issuing a command in terminal originally.

I got my other interfaces up by setting maxlanport="2" inside /etc.defaults/synoinfo.conf, but now when the interfaces come up on boot, they get default addresses as if they can't find a DHCP: 169.254.199.178 for example.

My router gives these 2 other ports proper IP's from the available pool: 192.168.1.x and I can ping these, but if I try using any of these interfaces they go nowhere for virtual machines for example. I also cannot manually change the IP structure to STATIC under DSM with a warning of 'IP address has been used.'

I have tried changing /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-ethx to match the settings to something like:

DEVICE=eth2
BOOTPROTO=static
ONBOOT=yes
IPADDR=ip address
NETMASK=netmask

This did nothing.

I am running a A1SRi-2758F Atom board, and IMPI in a dedicated LAN mode separate from the NICs.

My question is how can I fix this annoying little issue?

Edited by mr9v9

I would check the resources being used by the nics (irqs etc) and see if they are also shared with other devices like the usb3, serial ports etc, then disable the other devices. also I'd try a grub setting where the set mac is 'blank' for the four nics. maybe also disconnect the 'working' ports cables and use a packet sniffer to see if you are getting dhcp requests on the others

On 4/13/2019 at 2:43 PM, sbv3000 said:

I would check the resources being used by the nics (irqs etc) and see if they are also shared with other devices like the usb3, serial ports etc, then disable the other devices. also I'd try a grub setting where the set mac is 'blank' for the four nics. maybe also disconnect the 'working' ports cables and use a packet sniffer to see if you are getting dhcp requests on the others

Just out of curiosity, why would I remove the real MAC's from grub? Wouldn't that preven't me from getting back into DSM if I screw up let's say eth0? I can always mount the boot image on another machine and fix it I suppose.

So it was a combination of editing eth2 and eth3 as well as the ovs_ethx files under /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts & /etc.defaults/sysconfig/network-scripts.

One important thing that seemed to help was assigning BRIDGE=ovs_ethx to the respective interface as I did not have any configs for these.

FYI I am running a DS918+ all is well with onboard NICs!