XPEnology Community

Change of cpu in hp proliant g8.

lamosca01

• 4 weeks later...

If I put all my 4Tb raid drives on the LSI 9201-8i & left the 2 cache ssd's on the motherboard would I get faster read & writes?

Also how hot do these cards run at ? .. my infrared thermometer shows about 60°C on the heatsink on the underside of the card & about 48°C directly above it ?

I might have to reseat the heatsink with new .. would arctic silver do, or should I use a thermal adhesive pad ?

Edited by Chalky

On 8/25/2020 at 8:07 PM, Chalky said:

Using the  LSI SAS 9201-8i, the original hard drive order "0,1,2,3" wouldn't be the same

is this going to work ?

As long as the array is in good health, mdadm should figure it out.  But it is best to put them in the same order if possible.

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/19/2020 at 6:16 PM, IG-88 said:

if you change the usb to a different type you would need to change the vid/pid in the grub.cfg (1st partition) to the new one's vid/pid

I did a image back up with Alex's "USB Image Tool" .. to but can't work out how to change the vid/pid in the grub. is this done after Win32DiskImager?

Also I couldn't do an image backup with Win32DiskImager?

Edited by Chalky

Thanks .. I'm running DS3615xs Jun 1.02b loader;  DSM 6.1.7-15284 update 3

I've been using a Kingston Data Traveller 3.0 for a few years now and I just want to have my boot loader on a different USB stick

so I was just trying to work out how to or when to change the VID & PID ?

Edited by Chalky

1 hour ago, Chalky said:

I was just trying to work out how to or when to change the VID & PID ?

your windows 10 does not show drive letters for the partitions on the usb?

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/29872-tutorial-mount-boot-stick-partitions-in-windows-edit-grubcfg-add-extralzma/

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/12422-xpenology-tool-for-windows-x64/

you have to check the new usb for its vid/pid, can be lsusb on linux or device manager of windows (or tools like USBDeview and UsbTreeView)

on 1st partiton of usb in folder "grub" is the grub.cfg that needs to have the actual vid/pid of the usb that is used for booting

its also possible to change it before wirting the image file to usb when using OSFMount with the *.img file

Thanks 

I used "usbview.exe" from Windows Kits Debugger for the VID & PID

1- Did a image backup of my Kingston Data Traveller bootloader with Alex's "USB Image Tool"

2- Mounted image with "OSFMount"

3- Only edited the VID & PID  in the grub.cfg file using "Notepad++"

4- Burnt image backup to new Samsung Fit Plus 3.1 with "Win32 Disk Imager"

Everything is working good

I'm now swapping out the Q6600/GA-P35-DS3P/4 Gb ram for a very lightly used i7 3770K/P8Z77-V pro/8Gb ram

the i5 4690/Asus Z97-K got taken by OMV

Edited by Chalky

In the DSM's Control Panel / General / Thermal status .. it has always had a dot & normal highlighted in green,

and hovering the mouse over it always shows 40 °C/ 104 °F  .. doesn't matter if the CPU is idle or busy

So is there any way to get any live or real temperature of the CPU etc?

and would it show or indicate anything if the CPU or MB etc got hot or overheated?

On 9/22/2020 at 10:45 PM, Chalky said:

swapping out the Q6600/GA-P35-DS3P/4 Gb ram for a very lightly used i7 3770K/P8Z77-V pro/8Gb ram

All went great .. the system is now a lot snappier

only problem is noisier fans that will either work at about 225 rpm or 1550 rpm and nothing inbetween .. I'll look for a manual controller

finally got the two 225 rpm fans (Hyperborea) up over 600 rpm by using bios, they exhaust top-back & back 

but had to put a diode & a splitter to slow up the two front intake fans (Gentle Typhoon), this got them down to about 900 rpms

ambient is 21°C & HHD's 25°-27°C idle

• Like 1