XPEnology Community

Change of cpu in hp proliant g8.

lamosca01

Hi guys! It turns out that I have been with this server for a long time and with the CPU that it brought from the factory and I want to change it for a xeon. Do I have to do more than remove and put the other one? I have installed the DSM 6.1-15047. I want to say that if xpenology accepts to change the CPU.
A greeting!

• 1 year later...

Sorry I know this is an old thread but I just need to clarify this 

I've got DS3615xs running in an old setup : Intel quad 2 Q6600/Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3P/4gb ddr2

with 4x 4Tb WD reds formatted btrfs and no ssd cache .. it's been running very well since May 2018, I don't run it 24/7 it's for back up once a week

a few months back I noticed a smell coming from the case .. one of the compacitors had a bit of sticky residue on it, I cleaned it of & have had no smell since

I'm thinking slipping the drives out & into a newer set up i5 4690/Asus Z97-K/8gb ddr3 with the 4x 4Tb WD in the same order 0,1,2,3 .. would this work?

Also the USB stick is a Kingston Datatraveler 32gb .. I bought 10 of these a while back & about 1/2 of them have died/worn out .. so I'm worried about that as well

Would I be better to start afresh ?

On 7/17/2020 at 2:50 AM, Chalky said:

I'm thinking slipping the drives out & into a newer set up i5 4690/Asus Z97-K/8gb ddr3 with the 4x 4Tb WD in the same order 0,1,2,3 .. would this work?

yes

with this cpu you could also "migrate" to 918+ (loader 1.04b) as its a 4th gen cpu, hardwarre transcoding  would be usable with that but if you are only using it as backup unit 3615 will do the job nicely, nothing to gain with 918+ that way

On 7/17/2020 at 2:50 AM, Chalky said:

Also the USB stick is a Kingston Datatraveler 32gb .. I bought 10 of these a while back & about 1/2 of them have died/worn out .. so I'm worried about that as well

Would I be better to start afresh ?

that depends on how/why the usb died, worn out would be write cycles, in this regard a xpenology boot stick will be no problem, as its not written that often

you can make backup of the usb with "Win32DiskImager 1.0", the thing to remember is that if you change the usb to a different type you would need to change the vid/pid in the grub.cfg (1st partition) to the new one's vid/pid

IG-88

Thanks for your helpful advice

My main worry is the 13 year old motherboard with a leaky cap, so that's good news, I'll also run the newer board as my main backup

The USB stick has only been written to the once since new .. with the Xpenology 3615 boot loader so should be more than good enough

But I do have 2 more unused Kingston Datatraveler 32gb .. I'll open one and make a backup & keep the other spare

The 918+ sounds interesting, but it is a 4 bay setup? I want to expand to an 8 bay setup & was looking at a StarTech 2 Port PCIe SATA III card?

and then add 2 or 3 more 4Tb HDD & 1 or 2 SSD's as cache  

I don't think I need hardware trancoding? I have a dedicated LibreELEC HTPC that upscales to 4K@60 (intel i3-7100 / Gigabyte H270M-D3H / GTX1050)

thanks again 

Chalky

2 hours ago, flyride said:

However, by definition the 918+ supports 8 drives,

mmhh

the original synoinfo.conf looks like this

maxdisks="4"
esataportcfg="0x10"
internalportcfg="0xf"
usbportcfg="0x30000"

so i'd say it is 4 disks without jun's patch (to 16)

5 hours ago, Chalky said:

I have a dedicated LibreELEC HTPC that upscales to 4K@60 (intel i3-7100 / Gigabyte H270M-D3H / GTX1050)

that system can do much more with better imgae quality, dont make things over complicated

just keep the system as it is, dont invest time where its not needed

1 hour ago, IG-88 said:

mmhh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h27AcB70Mvc

Me:

https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:-tO3NcOuWFgJ:https://www.synology.com/en-global/products/DS918%2B+&cd=2&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

I should have said 9 drives, not 8.  Yes, they are via external bay.

However, this is an example of both our factual opinions being totally useless and irrelevant to the thread.

OP's potentially making an incorrect decision based on a misunderstanding of the way the loader is configured, and also based on faulty understanding of Synology's product line. So from a practical standpoint for his/her sake, my advice stands.  But thanks for retrieving configuration file settings we both know to be there.

3 hours ago, IG-88 said:

that system can do much more with better image quality, don't make things over complicated

just keep the system as it is, don't invest time where its not needed

thanks 

2 hours ago, flyride said:

potentially making an incorrect decision based on a misunderstanding of the way the loader is configured

The DS918 has 4 HDD bays & 2 NVMe 's + DX517's 5 bays

how would the 918+ loader recognise an extra 5 HDD's if  installed internally ? & would SSD's substitute as cache instead of NVMe 's ?

If this is all possible ..

16 hours ago, IG-88 said:

"migrate" to 918+ (loader 1.04b) 

besides transcoding is there any other advantage in migrating ?

My point to you is that you aren't limited to 4 bays by the loader (which is coincidentally IG-88's point).  It doesn't matter what the original Synology hardware supported, nobody is installing a loader that only supports four drives.  Number of drives supported are not a decision point of which loader to use.  Spend some time looking though the XPEnology documentation and that will be apparent.

TL;DR: DS918+ running via loader 1.04b supports 16 "internal" devices.  NVMe cache do not count as part of those 16.  Non-NVMe SSD used for cache do count.

Edited by flyride

Sorry, I may have read too much into this & it confused me .. 

when I load my DSM3615xs, storage manager overview shows 4 disks used 8 slots available, a limit of 12 slots all up as per the original hardware limit

so I just assumed that DSM918+ storage manager overview would also show a limit of 4 slots available as per the original synology hardware

Understood, based on your stated use case there really nothing to be gained by moving to DS918+.  The decision factors are explained here:

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/13333-tutorialreference-6x-loaders-and-platforms/

Number of available disk slots isn't a concern; if you want more than 12 (DS3615xs/17xs) or 16 (DS918+)  it's a config entry to override it anyway.

17 hours ago, Chalky said:

besides transcoding is there any other advantage in migrating ?

nvme support would be the only thing imho, 918+ uses a newer 4.4.49 kernel (3.10.105 for 3615/17) but that does not result in any additional value atm (beside transcoding and nvme)

my extra drivers are the same for 3615/17 and 918+

Hi

NVMe cache would be a luxury item for my network servers, I have 2,  WD Black in HTPC & Samsung 970 Pro in main PC 

I'm aiming for a NAS with 2x Samsung 250Gb SSD's I have leftover as cache with 8x 4Tb WD reds in raid 6

10 sata ports all up .. 6 Sata III are on the Asus Z97-K board  and there is 1 x PCIe 3.0/2.0 x16 / 1 x PCIe 2.0 x16  / 2 x PCIe 2.0 x1

Any advice on PCIe Sata Cards ?

prices vary from about $30 to $200 (au) 2x 2 Port cards or 1x 4 Port card ?  .. 2x 2 Port cards are cheaper than 1x 4 Port cards

Thanks again

Hi

read thru Looking for SATA controller card for baremetal  By j3390659, October 10, 2017 in Hardware Modding 

1*/

a StarTech 4 Port PCIe SATA III card/  chipset:Marvell - 88SE9230 @ $180

4-Port PCI Express 2.0 SATA Controller Card with HyperDuo adds 4 AHCI SATA III ports to a computer through a PCIe slot (x2), delivering multiple internal 6Gbps connections for high-performance hard drives and Solid State Drives (SSDs).

Featuring HyperDuo technology, the SATA card offers SSD auto-tiering which lets you balance the performance advantages of SSD storage with the cost-effectiveness and large capacity of standard hard drives. By combining SSD and HDD drives into a single volume (up to 3 SSD + 1 HDD), HyperDuo discreetly works in the background to identify and move frequently accessed files to the faster SSD drive(s) for improved data throughput - up to 80% of SSD performance! (Note: The HyperDuo automatic storage tiering feature is compatible with computers that use a BIOS.)

2*/

a Skymaster EST11B / 4xPort SATA 6Gbps PCIe Card PCI-Ex4 / Chipset:Marvell @ $60

4-lane PCI-Express form factor / 2-Lane PCI-Express 2.0 interface supports communication bandwidth up to 10.0Gbps

Supports PCI-Express data transfer rate up to 5.0/2.5Gbps

Fully Plug and Play compliant

Supports Windows 10 / 8.x / 7 / Vista / XP / 2000 / Server 2003-2008 32/64-bit, Linux

Supports 2 internal SATA 6G ports and 2 external or internal SATA 6G ports set manually by users

Supports Hardware RAID 0, 1, 10 and JBOD

Supports HyperDuo mode, Safe mode (Mirrored Protection) and Capacity mode(Cost-Optimized)

Up to 4 SATA devices with point-to-point connectivity

Compliant with Serial ATA Specification 3.0 with communication speed of 6.0Gbps / Supports SATA port Hot-Plug

Backwards compatible Bootable from attached HDD Supports Native Command Queuing (NCQ)FIS based Port Multiplier support up to 20 Drives  image.png.db17806003c506ccdf95c052822a0fd4.pngimage.png.f84090340ab394fd7aaaadfe07609e36.png

Skymaster EST11B                                                               StarTech 4 Port PCIe SATA III card

there's a $120 difference in price / I'm not tech savy so can't tell why .. but I do need something that is not too hard to setup

Any help would be very much appreciated

Regards Chalky

Edited by Chalky
clarity

I'll keep it simple

Are there any install, driver issues etc with Marvell Chipset  .. bios,  plug n play etc ?

or is it, just install and learn of any problems as you go ?

I've never used an add in PCIe Sata Card before in any system

Edited by Chalky
clarity

Going to avoid any Marvell controllers as they seem to be a bit problematic

Done some research and looking at a LSI/Broadcom based card .. possibly a  LSI Internal SAS SATA 9211-8i 6Gbps 8 Ports ?

Just need to study up a far bit more before diving in

On 7/21/2020 at 10:51 AM, Chalky said:

Any advice on PCIe Sata Cards ?

JMB585 based when its supposed to be a AHCI based card, beside this the usual LSI sas cards are a good bang for the money and can deliver performance

On 7/23/2020 at 10:48 AM, Chalky said:

Going to avoid any Marvell controllers as they seem to be a bit problematic

i would not say problematic, but 4 ports with just one or two pcie 2.0 lane ...

at least for the usual 88se92xx ahci chips

On 7/23/2020 at 10:48 AM, Chalky said:

LSI Internal SAS SATA 9211-8i 6Gbps 8 Ports ?

not a bad choice but we discovered lately that there is a power management / sleep problem with 918+ and to avoid this the driver used is lacking some important features like s.m.a.r.t. or showing the serial number of the drive (the last one can be really important when a drive fails)

i'm on a 5port JMB585 with 6 onboard and one port from a marvell 88se9215 (only one port used)

btw. there is also the option to use the M.2 nvme slot just as a pcie 4x slot, there are adpter cards for normal pcie and also 5port jmb585 M.2 based cards (needs good mounting on the one end of the m.2 card and some stiff material below the card as the card itself is very thin)

you can read about the lsi sas problem on 918+ here

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/28321-driver-extension-jun-103b104b-for-dsm623-for-918-3615xs-3617xs/

Edited by IG-88

18 hours ago, IG-88 said:

power management / sleep problem with 918+ and to avoid this the driver used is lacking some important features like s.m.a.r.t. or showing the serial number of the drive

I'm staying with 3615xs so are these issues only with 918+ or with 3615xs as well ?

also I found an LSI SAS 9201-8i so would this also have the same issue as the  9211?

and if I get the 9201 would it be essential to update the TI mode firmware as it's already in TI mode?

Thank you

Edited by Chalky

6 hours ago, Chalky said:

I'm staying with 3615xs so are these issues only with 918+ or with 3615xs as well ?

only 918+, the lsi sas support of 3615/17 is part of dsm (bigger business units)

918+ is 4 port ahci unit and the scsi/sas support is added by additional kernel modules, maybe there is something synology specific missing in the 918+ kernel, i dont have time to experiment with that and in dont need the lsi sas support (jmb585 with its pcie 3.0 support is good enough)

6 hours ago, Chalky said:

also I found an LSI SAS 9201-8i so would this also have the same issue as the  9211?

and if I get the 9201 would it be essential to update the TI mode firmware as it's already in TI mode?

i guess the different name for the same hardware comes from the fact that 9201 comes with IT firmware by default

there where some discussions about differences with firmware versions and newest was not in favor of everyone, if you want to read more just look for zfs / free nas  and 9211/9201 firmware

afair there where suggestions from lsi to use certain fw versions with newer drivers