XPEnology Community

DSM 4.2-3211 to DSM 5

Schmill

So....

What with the fact that my DSM install has been misbehaving, and the recent Heartbleed issue, I figure now is a good time to update.

So first things first, I take a full backup of my data drive.

Then what? I'm presuming there isn't an 'upgrade path' as such, so which DSM5 install should I go for?

Trantor: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=2219

or:

gnoBoot: http://cyanlabs.co.uk/news/install-xpen ... thout-esxi

??

It 'looks' like the gnoBoot uses a later version of the pat file, but I'm unsure. I just want to update my server, but keep my current MAC addresses AND SERIAL number, or at least know how to change them back to what I am currently using after the install finishes.

If someone can guide me as to which install I am supposed to use these days I'll get on with it :smile:

Many thanks!

So....

What with the fact that my DSM install has been misbehaving, and the recent Heartbleed issue, I figure now is a good time to update.

So first things first, I take a full backup of my data drive.

Then what? I'm presuming there isn't an 'upgrade path' as such, so which DSM5 install should I go for?

Trantor: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=2219

or:

gnoBoot: http://cyanlabs.co.uk/news/install-xpen ... thout-esxi

??

It 'looks' like the gnoBoot uses a later version of the pat file, but I'm unsure. I just want to update my server, but keep my current MAC addresses AND SERIAL number, or at least know how to change them back to what I am currently using after the install finishes.

If someone can guide me as to which install I am supposed to use these days I'll get on with it :smile:

Many thanks!

I never tried Trantor's DSM 5.0 but I can assure you Gnoboot's DSM 5.0 can update to the latest version of DSM (At the time of this post, it is DSM 5.0 update 2).

Gnoboot accept original pat file from Synology, if that is what you're trying to point out. Meanwhile Gnoboot use real MAC address and I myself do not know a way to change it. The serial number can be changed to whatever you like, Cyanlab already written a guide, you should read it.

Migrating to newer version using Gnoboot is a little tricky, you need to connect your XPEnology to a display in order to choose "gnoboot.me" while grub is counting (when u boot up use the new boot device), then choose "Install/upgrade DSM 5.0", then run your Synology assistant you will see your box showed up as "migratable", simply feed it with DSM 5.0 DS3612xs pat file from Synology official website and wait it to finish.

Then you can update it to DSM 5.0 update 2 from your Web UI, information about how to achieve this can be found within this forum.

Be warned! There are still chance you screwed up and see "DSM not installed" in your Synology assistant instead, proceed at your own risk.

Edited by Guest

Is this the same procedure?

http://cyanlabs.co.uk/news/install-xpen ... thout-esxi

If so, how do you get around the wipe? The tutorial seems to imply that all HDs are wiped.

If you proceed exactly as the guide say, when you search your box from Synology assistant it will show up as "migratable" instead of "DSM not installed", if your HDDs are already initialize by earlier version of DSM.

Of course nobody can assure you of anything, things can always go wrong, so backup your data first is recommended. If you want perfect data protection and tech support, go for a REAL Synology device.

I also have 4.2 and want to upgrade to DSM 5.

But I am running an SS4200 without a display (there is no video card) or keyboard (though there are USB ports).

Can this upgrade be done without a display/keyboard, just like Trantor's 4.2 install?

That can be challenging.

Gnoboot used a special method to treat original *.pat file so it need to be boot into another kernel environment instead of the one that runs ordinary DSM.

In other words you need to see the boot options while installing/migrating DSM.

When boot up with gnoboot, you'll see a count down while three options listed. If you want to install/migrate XPEnology, you must use keyboard to move your cursor to "gnoboot.me" and select it in order to proceed, that means at least a keyboard must be connected.

Meanwhile somebody in this forum successfully installed XPEnology on his buffalo NAS using gnoboot, he didn't connect a display, instead, he power the device on, wait 3 seconds and press down arrow, then enter, and he is lucky enough to get the right option.

I myself would suggest you edit the grub option within your boot device so you can enter the install/migrate environment automatically. After you installed XPEnology, you can restore the original files. This, I believe, is the best practice for a headless machine.

I wasn't really looking for any guarantees, just an explanation of how experiences here (data persists) was different to that on the guide (data is wiped).

Just out of interest although volumes are kept are apps and packages migrated?

I wasn't really looking for any guarantees, just an explanation of how experiences here (data persists) was different to that on the guide (data is wiped).

Just out of interest although volumes are kept are apps and packages migrated?

Yes. But some packages need to be updated before start working again in DSM 5.0 stable version.

Meanwhile some people report their shared folder access privileges are lost, simple re-configure them using the web UI will do, no big deal.

I have no idea why the guide state the DATA is wipe, I myself and a lot of forum members successfully migrated from earlier version of DSM to the decent one using gnoboot.

Of course DATA cannot be preserved if your HDDs are not initialized with DSM from the very beginning, if that is what you concern.

>Of course DATA cannot be preserved if your HDDs are not initialized with DSM from the very beginning, if that is what you concern.

Do you mean if I'm not coming from a previous version of DSM? I'm using Trantors 4.3 beta, so I'm assuming the upgrade path is there.

I also have 4.2 and want to upgrade to DSM 5.

But I am running an SS4200 without a display (there is no video card) or keyboard (though there are USB ports).

Can this upgrade be done without a display/keyboard, just like Trantor's 4.2 install?

Here is a quick write-up on how to re-purpose SS4200 with DSM 5.0

1) Create USB stick with gnoboot-alpha10.5-ext2.img

2) Modify files on USB stick(Ext2 file system) - use Linux, previous version of DSM, install Ext2 drivers for windows, etc...

2a) Modify menu.lst

default 1

timeout 0

fallback 1

title gnoboot-alpha

configfile (hd0,0)/boot/grub/menu_alpha.lst

title gnoboot.me

configfile (hd0,0)/boot/grub/menu_me.lst

title gnoboot-debug

configfile (hd0,0)/boot/grub/menu_debug.lst

2b) Modify menu_me.lst

timeout 0

default 0

fallback 0

title gnoboot-5.0-4458 (install/upgrade/downgrade)

root (hd0,0)

kernel /zImage gnoboot_me=5.0-4458

title gnoboot-4.3-3827 (install/upgrade/downgrade)

root (hd0,0)

kernel /zImage gnoboot_me=4.3-3827

title main menu

configfile (hd0,0)/boot/grub/menu.lst

3) Insert USB stick into SS4200 and press and hold the RESET button in the back of the unit while you power on the server (I have modified the RESET button to be permanently pressed)

4) After 1 min launch the Synology Assistant and you will find the SS4200 with the DSM 5.0 ready to be migrated

5) Double-click and follow the DSM install as described in other write-ups. In my upgrade the migration preserved all the data but I had full 100% backup of all the drives.

6) When SS4200 reboots and the fans start up high speed shut it down with the power button. Remove the USB stick and reload the original gnoboot-alpha10.5-ext2.img (Do not modify any files)

7) Insert the USB stick back into the SS4200 and power up with the RESET button held down

8) Be patient and let the DB be upgraded and all services started (launch Synology Assistant and keep on checking until DSM 5.0 is READY)

9) Your good old SS4200 is ready.