XPEnology Community

Hibernation without reduced power consumption?

BlackHawk1942

Hi @ all,

I am on gnoboot 10.5 alpha / DSM 5-4458 update 1. If I can trust the protocoll of DSM my HDDs go into hibernation because if I log in after the hibernation time there is an entry "Internal disks woke up from hibernation" BUT I cant declare lower power consumption. Is that normal? I am unsing two WD Red 2TB in RAID1.

Thanks for all effort!

Hibernating HDDs intend to make your HDDs live longer.

Hibernating the whole machine saves power.

However, hibernating the whole machine is not available for most 4 bays or more NAS models, since most of these are designed for enterprise use and should be powered on all the time.

What are you using to measure power usage? Most 3.5" hard drives need 3-5 watts when spun up so it's definitely measurable. Also, you should be able to hear a noise different from your hard drives.

I am using a device from "Brennstuhl" which is very good and still show up very small values and I trust it. This is why I am asking. Is it possible that these messages come up even if nothing happens?

What are you using to measure power usage? Most 3.5" hard drives need 3-5 watts when spun up so it's definitely measurable. Also, you should be able to hear a noise different from your hard drives.

I am using a device from "Brennstuhl" which is very good and still show up very small values and I trust it. This is why I am asking. Is it possible that these messages come up even if nothing happens?

That has not been what I've experienced. I only see these messages when HD hibernation is working and activity on the unit causes the internal disks woke up from hibernation message.

my tested NAS configuration

gnoboot 10.5 + DSM 5.0-4458

Atom D2550 + 2GB RAM + Toshiba 3TB x4

idle power consumption : 53W

set the disk hibernation time to 10 minutes

disk hibernation mode power consumption : ~23W