XPEnology Community

Maximum number of cores

Yossi1114

Hi all,

I would like to install Xpenology on my rig. The rig has dual Xeon processors and I guess it will exceed the maximum number of cores, according to the topic posted in 2016.

Is it still limited to activate 9 or more physical cores?

CPU: 2× Intel Xeon E5-4620 v3

M/B: ASRock Rack EP2C612D8C Dual LGA2011-v3 with Intel C612 chipset

I would appreciate any ideas!

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/18/2019 at 3:31 AM, hellbondz said:

You really need so much power just for NAS?

I do

On 4/18/2019 at 3:42 AM, jensmander said:

With such equipment I would use a Hypervisor. Would make more sense. You‘ll have enough power to run Dsm along with other VMs. I have a similar system with Dsm, 4x Win10, 5x Debian and one W2019 nano. 

I have nothing to run on my server, only except for Xpenology. I simply just want to apply all cores active for faster processing speed.

• 2 months later...

Same boat here: I just want to manage my virtual machines on DSM vs outside. Commenting on "why do you need all that power on a NAS" is pretty irrelevant and annoying, especially when Synology has been doing so much work into making DSM useful for WAAAAY more than "just a NAS", especially with Docker and Virtual Machine support.

So, is it possible to increase the max cores?

Thank you.

AFAIK the limit is in the kernel itself, as compiled by Synology.  The platforms enabled by the current loaders have the following compute characteristics:

DS3617xs - Xeon D-1527 - 4C/8T

DS3615xs - Core i3-4130 - 2C/4T

DS918 - J3455 - 4C/4T

There has been some confusion about cores vs. threads.  I think that 16 threads is the kernel limit.

As you can see, 16 threads covers all these CPUs and we have evidence that 16 threads are supported on all three platforms (EDIT: this is not correct after further examination, see here for current discussion.)

If you have more than 8 cores, you will get better performance by disabling SMT. @levifig, you are already doing this. I don't think there is any other way to support @Yossi1114's 10C/20T processor other than to disable SMT.

If someone wants to develop a loader against a platform with more thread support, may I suggest investigating the FS3017 (E5-2620v3 x 2 = 12C/24T) FS2017 (D-1541 = 8C/16T) or RS3618xs (D-1521 = 8C/16T). It would stand to reason that the kernel thread limits might be higher for those platforms.

Edited by flyride
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Thanks @flyride for the reply. Now I see what was obstructing the activation of all physical cores on my rig. I hope Synology will release a product with many more cores as a part of their high-end lineup so we probably will be able to activate more cores.

I suppose AMD Ryzen 3700X is the best option available for the practical use so far since it has 8 physical cores and 16 threads :3

Edited by Yossi1114

• 9 months later...
On 7/8/2019 at 2:35 PM, flyride said:

AFAIK the limit is in the kernel itself, as compiled by Synology.  The platforms enabled by the current loaders have the following compute characteristics:

DS3617xs - Xeon D-1527 - 4C/8T

DS3615xs - Core i3-4130 - 2C/4T

DS918 - J3455 - 4C/4T

There has been some confusion about cores vs. threads.  I think that 16 threads is the kernel limit.

As you can see, 16 threads covers all these CPUs and we have evidence that 16 threads are supported on all three platforms.

If you have more than 8 cores, you will get better performance by disabling SMT. @levifig, you are already doing this. I don't think there is any other way to support @Yossi1114's 10C/20T processor other than to disable SMT.

If someone wants to develop a loader against a platform with more thread support, may I suggest investigating the FS3017 (E5-2620v3 x 2 = 12C/24T) FS2017 (D-1541 = 8C/16T) or RS3618xs (D-1521 = 8C/16T). It would stand to reason that the kernel thread limits might be higher for those platforms.

I know for a fact to much trial and error on my last 2019 build that 3615 only loads max 8 CPU while the  3617 will load max 16. and from another post it seems 918 will only load 8 cpu. which sucks as more and more cpu are adding cores/treads

I had a 12 core 24T cpu that would only load 16 in Hyper treading and dmesg the others out but would load 12 HT off with no messages either way it worked fine just with the limits 

7 minutes ago, medric said:

I know for a fact to much trial and error on my last 2019 build that 3615 only loads max 8 CPU while the  3617 will load max 16. and from another post it seems 918 will only load 8 cpu. which sucks as more and more cpu are adding cores/treads

I had a 12 core 24T cpu that would only load 16 in Hyper treading and dmesg the others out but would load 12 HT off with no messages either way it worked fine just with the limits 

This is an old post and we have achieved better clarity and documentation since that was written.

FMI:

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/13333-tutorialreference-6x-loaders-and-platforms/

Recent discussion:

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/13030-dsm-5x6x-cpu-name-cores-infomation-change-tool/?do=findComment&comment=148590

• 1 year later...

wanted to know about DS3622xs+ and its core count. I see that the Xeon-D1531 supports 6/12T and the Xeon-D1541 supports 8/16T that family of cpu Xeon D-1571  supports 16/32T. Does anyone know what the Kernal supports in DS3622xs?

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
On 5/7/2022 at 12:46 AM, medric said:

wanted to know about DS3622xs+ and its core count. I see that the Xeon-D1531 supports 6/12T and the Xeon-D1541 supports 8/16T that family of cpu Xeon D-1571  supports 16/32T. Does anyone know what the Kernal supports in DS3622xs?

I tryed max only 8t