XPEnology Community

Upgrade Trantor 4.3 3810 U4, to DSM5.x

v1ni

Hey guys. I'm sat on 16TB of data, that I can't afford to lose, and don't have anywhere to backup that kind of data to. Stupid, yes.

But, the question is. What is the best method for getting to DSM5.x from Trantor's very excellent 4.3 3810 U4...Is this even possible?

I've done a lot of reading, but I couldn't find a simple/single how to. My reading resulted in bolting various 'methods' from various 'threads', and no definitive answer on if this was indeed possible.

One questions I've always wondered. If my Xpenology was to corrupt/break, how feasible is it to restore an SHR array?

• 2 weeks later...

+1

8TB stacked on Trantor's v4.3 migrated to Gnoboot's 10.5 in less than 2 minutes.

Sideeffects include repairing some share permissions, custom created user homes and sh/bin path correction in etc/password. WOL, disk hybernation function retained oob.

Still missing correct temperature readings, probably missing driver/I2C for motherboard sensor.

Plucked up the courage, and followed the Cyanlabs guide here http://cyanlabs.co.uk/news/install-xpen ... thout-esxi

Took me from Trantor 4.3 3810 Update 4, cleanly to 5.0 4458, without any trouble :smile:

Thanks.

You guys must be kidding.. :lol:

Look at the picture below.

PC-Part-40.png

It clearly stated "all data on these hard disks will be removed".

With 16TB and no place to be backed up, if you were him, would you dare try?

To be completely honest, I also failed to provide backup, even for at least the most important unique stuff onboard. Perfectly functional (albeit somewhat less secure) v4.3 setup ran smoothly for almost 3 months. Reading all post regarding v4.3->v5 migration from forum users, checking driver section of gnoboot was less harmful for setup than for my personal state of mind :smile:. I made new usb stick for v5, just as cyanlabs guide explains; shutdown, removed v4.3 stick and fired up a new one just in curiosity if loader will 'see' WD Reds and that Ethernet stack is up. Quick inspection with SynoAssistant - status:migratable was enough to stop without actually commiting the upgrade. After shutdown and rollback of old v4.3 stick, I failed to get Xpenology back online, it remained stuck just as that was 1st time run.

There were 3 options - to google before asking assistance/advice over here, proceed with actual v4.3 Trantor for re-install on (hopefully) system partition or unleash gnoboot v5.

Ultimately it worked, but I wouldn't consider my case as a daring one. Every fool gets another chance is something perhaps more close to true.

Get the backup done.

• 2 weeks later...