XPEnology Community

Question on disks

siri_uk

Hi guys,

The build I am running xpenology on currently has 8 drives installed as follows :-

4 x 4tb wd reds pool 1 volume 1
3 x 2tb wd pool 2 volume 2
1 x 1tb wd pool 3 volume 3

I currently use the wd reds as the system disks and use the 2tb western digitals to back up important data with hyperbackup and the 1tb Western digital as a surveillance station drive. With the configuration I have if I format the wd reds, then reinstall dsm, would it keep the data on the other drives after reinstallation so I could copy the data across?

• 1 month later...

Hi, just came across your thread. I think I've made a great mistake. My xpenology (6.1.7) has been intsalled on a 3 HDD (1To ea.) with which I created a RAID5, plus a 2.5" Hdd. All HDDs were in place when I installed DSM. Foolishly, I decided to replace the 2.5" (not used in the RAID) by a 1 To 3.5 HDD. I then stopped the server and unplug the 2.5 and replaced it by the 3.5". Now the server is starting booting for a couple of minutes (during this time I have no access to the syno http page to log in) and then stops by itself. I tried to replug the 2.5" and start the server again, but no joy. Any idea or help ? thanks in advance

On 5/21/2019 at 6:01 PM, dr400 said:

Hi, just came across your thread. I think I've made a great mistake. My xpenology (6.1.7) has been intsalled on a 3 HDD (1To ea.) with which I created a RAID5, plus a 2.5" Hdd. All HDDs were in place when I installed DSM. Foolishly, I decided to replace the 2.5" (not used in the RAID) by a 1 To 3.5 HDD. I then stopped the server and unplug the 2.5 and replaced it by the 3.5". Now the server is starting booting for a couple of minutes (during this time I have no access to the syno http page to log in) and then stops by itself. I tried to replug the 2.5" and start the server again, but no joy. Any idea or help ? thanks in advance

Try booting with just the 3 raid drives and see what happens, if ok check volumes and system partitions are ok in storage manager. If the system is stable, then power off and reconnect the additional drive. Also, check the sata channel the additional drive is on and make sure it is not the lowest/first sata port.

Il y a 15 heures, sbv3000 a dit :

Try booting with just the 3 raid drives and see what happens, if ok check volumes and system partitions are ok in storage manager. If the system is stable, then power off and reconnect the additional drive. Also, check the sata channel the additional drive is on and make sure it is not the lowest/first sata port.

Hi sbv3000 ,thanks for sharing your knowledge ! In the meantime, I partly solved it out. It appeared to be linked to the usb key. By rebuilding the booting usb key I managed to get it to work again without losing any data. I started it with the same configuration I had before (ie 3 3.5" HDD + 1 2.5" HDD). I'd like to try your proposal but I certainly don't want to lose again the access to the NAS. I'm presently backing up my data, VMs, ... and will try this when all is secured. As for the sata port, I think it is the first one. At the first setup I plugged the 2.5"HDD for a test on the first sata port and it is precisely the one I want to change ...

Edited by dr400