XPEnology Community

Convert Trantor 4.3 3810 to 5.0 GNUBoot?

KenF

OK I'm on Trantors most excellent 4.3 3810 build (with the updates), I've been waiting for him to do the 5.0 but it seems his activity is reduced on this board for whatever reason.

So I thought about taking a look at the GNUBoot system.

I currently run a N54L with 4x3TB disks (adding a fifth when my free disk space drops below 50%) with about 3.5TB of data on it.

How might I upgrade to the 5.0 release? Since I presume it brings relaiability and stability improvements. (Not that I've had a problem, OK, the system sometimes drops IP printers needing a reboot, but hey the data side has been rock solid).

Also... I doubt I'd be able to backup the 3.5TB elsewhere, I could backup up most but not all, is that required?

Thanks.

OK I'm on Trantors most excellent 4.3 3810 build (with the updates), I've been waiting for him to do the 5.0 but it seems his activity is reduced on this board for whatever reason.

The reason is probably to do with the fact that he works on this project in his spare time. He has also posted his reasons for not leaping into a DSM 5 build elsewhere on the forum here.

Trantor doesn't really need to be active on the forum as most things are answered already. He obviously reads the forum as he responds to anything that's unusual. The community seems to be pretty good at helping in most cases which is surely the role the community should play in support of the project. He has also been actively involved with helping community members access the wiki, which will improve support generally, leaving him more free time to work on his non-password protected packages.

So I thought about taking a look at the GNUBoot system.

I currently run a N54L with 4x3TB disks (adding a fifth when my free disk space drops below 50%) with about 3.5TB of data on it.

How might I upgrade to the 5.0 release?

Maybe a better question would be...why do I need to update to DSM 5 this early? Early adopters may provide some feedback to that question. I'm not sure there are storage and sharing improvements or better printer support. If you do a lot of remote management via a smart phone or tablet then maybe there is more of an incentive?

Since I presume it brings relaiability and stability improvements. (Not that I've had a problem, OK, the system sometimes drops IP printers needing a reboot, but hey the data side has been rock solid).

Also... I doubt I'd be able to backup the 3.5TB elsewhere, I could backup up most but not all, is that required?

Thanks.

For anyone looking for a stable version of the DSM on unofficial thirdparty hardware it would seem DSM 5 is a less favourable option, this early in the official release cycle. IMHO

Trantors Beta release 4.3-3827 with the official update 1 seems to be the least problematic and most stable solution...again IMHO.

As you say 4.3.3810 has proven to be reliable for you - that was also my experience...if it ain't broke why fix it? If your system is accessible from the web maybe you should think about updating to Trantor's latest 4.3 beta build which will allow you to apply the latest official patches. 3827 also has additional drivers which may be useful...the addition of wireless support was a bonus for me (thanks Trantor).