XPEnology Community

Update from DSM 6.1.7-15284

Manolenta

Question

Hi.

I have been "disconnected" for a while, and I find myself stuck at DSM 6.1.7-15284. I am not sure how to proceed to update to the last version. Should I go directly or step by step doing all the incremental updates?

Also, I am not sure If I can use the same loader till now or I must upgrade to a new one.

I use my own barebone (HP Micro G8), just in case it could be relevant.

2 answers to this question

If you update to 6.2 from within DSM, it will not work and you'll have to flash the old loader again which might not like your volumes anymore.  Further, it's important to look thru the updates reporting thread to see any notes about updates and whether others have had success with the specific update you're considering attempting.

If you're trying to update to 6.2, you will need to use a new loader.  If you're just applying critical updates, but you're staying with 6.1.7-15284, you should be fine but definitely check and read thru the update reporting thread first.

Hi and welcome to the forum.

With the current loader you are using (v.102b) you can update your box up to DSM 6.1.7- Critical Update 3. Beyond that you will need Jun's loader v1.03b to update to DSM 6.2, DSM 6.2.1* and DSM 6.2.2*. Loader 1.04b will not for you. I suggest you read this:

* Also and this applies specifically to your hardware (HP Micro G8) note that since DSM 6.2.1 you will not be able to access your box because of a change in the kernel config which will break all non official PCIe devices drivers UNLESS you use a PCIe network card. In other words the onboard NIC of your GEN8 will not be recognized and a PCIe network card will be required. Read here and also here. I suggest you read thoroughly those 2 topics to check which network cards people are using to overcome this issue.

Have fun!