XPEnology Community

DSM5.2 N57L to G8 Microserver

Hi all

We have a HP N57L that has been running for around 4 years without issue, about 2 weeks ago the PSU spat the dummy, i was looking for  a replacement and came across a great deal on a G8 Microserver.

Can i just take the bootable USB stick from the N57L and put that into the G8 along with the drives and that should be it?

Sorry if this is ion the wrong section

5 hours ago, simono5 said:

Think you'll need a new USB as the Mac address on the Gen8 will be different.

Also serial number I'd guess.

Hi Simono5

Do you know where I can get the instructions and files to create the new USB, or can the existing one be modified with the new info?

On 3/18/2019 at 12:22 PM, glenncol said:

Hi all

We have a HP N57L that has been running for around 4 years without issue, about 2 weeks ago the PSU spat the dummy, i was looking for  a replacement and came across a great deal on a G8 Microserver.

Can i just take the bootable USB stick from the N57L and put that into the G8 along with the drives and that should be it?

Sorry if this is ion the wrong section

Hi glenncol, there is no need to change anything, just move the flash drive and the disks to the new server

In principal moving the usb key and drives to the G8 Microserver should work. You could update the MAC addresses in the loader to match your G8 Microserver NIC's MAC address first. You should also make sure that your G8 Microserver Bios is properly configured prior making the move so that it boots on the USB key.

It's possible that DSM will complain that your volume is degraded after moving to the G8 Microserver. It depends though on how you set up your volumes. Simple follow DSM's instructions.

I can't warranty anything. Make sure you have backups.

Again, there is no need to change anything, mac address change is only needed if you need a working WOL, just move the USB drive and hard disks to the new server and configure the boot sequence to boot from USB, thats it, also you need to confirm what polanskiman suggested in making sure the Bios is properly configured to accept disks in ahci mode.

• 2 weeks later...