XPEnology Community

DSM 5 4458 fails on Asus P8H77-I, BIOS settings?

Raidersan

Hi,

I am very new at this but got the Gnoboot-alpha 10.4.7 working on an old dell working, all very nice and easy.

When I tried the same on my proper server (an last year Intel core i3 low consumption), I run into troubles installing the PAT file straight away. It seems to work from the console, but after the reboot, I see strange messages at the 12 seconds mark with cryptic (to me!) descriptions such as:

[] ? sd_prep_fn+0x2ef/0xba0

I a full screen of those (can only see a screenful, don't know how many there were before, but they are all following the same [

blk_peek_request

blk_run_queue

scisi_run_queue

_raw_spin_lock

do_softirq

call_softirq

irq_exit

intel_idle

cpu_idle

start_kernel

x86_64_start_kernel is the last one before it hangs

I am sure I done something stupid, but cannot figure it out. I have searched to double check my BIOS settings but cannot find anything obvious.

Can anybody make a suggestion?

Many thanks!

Edited by Guest

Nobody ?? :sad:

Does anybody know what the root password is for the initial kernel that is loaded right at the beginning of the install? I am NOT talking about the password one sets during the install, as clearly mine fails before that, I need the default set on the image. This will allow me to get a complete dmesg to try to find out why is going on.

My hardware:

Asus P8H77-I, intel i3-2100T, 8Gb DDR3 1333

Nobody ?? :sad:

Does anybody know what the root password is for the initial kernel that is loaded right at the beginning of the install? I am NOT talking about the password one sets during the install, as clearly mine fails before that, I need the default set on the image. This will allow me to get a complete dmesg to try to find out why is going on.

My hardware:

Asus P8H77-I, intel i3-2100T, 8Gb DDR3 1333

303-1E03

1st character = month in hexadecimal, lower case (1=Jan, … , a=Oct, b=Nov, c=Dec)
2-3 = month in decimal, zero padded and starting in 1 (01, 02, 03, …, 11, 12)
4 = dash
5-6 = day of the month in hex (01, 02 .., 0A, .., 1F)
7-8 = greatest common divisor between month and day, zero padded. This is always a number between 01 and 12.

I can't help you on your issues, I run my system in esxi.

Many thanks, that works!

I am lost, I see nothing looking out of order in DMESG, it see the disk, a fidsk shows 2 linux RAID partition that I suppose are created at the beginning of the install, the PAT file installs, then the machine reboots and that is when it all fails.

Could it be that Synology have updated the PAT file in the last few days (Update 1?) with something that checks for hardware?

and here is a pic of the error trace I am getting after the reboot following installation of the PAT file coming straight from the Synology website (DSM_DS3612xs_4458.pat)

https://flic.kr/s/aHsjVS7zKm

Could it be some settings in my BIOS, or the HDD in a wrong mode? I saw other people on the same MB reporting success so it could be BIOS config, no?

Can anyone tell me how to redirect the console output to a file on the USB, or any other means of capturing the boot process that obviously is failing?

Thanks for helping Gnoboot, much appreciated!

I will need a bit more hand holding for this, is there a way to send dmesg on the USB key I use for booting? Whatever I tried I could not mount it to write to it and I am on a physical server so I can't copy & paste.

Can you suggest what to look for or how to slow down the trace of messages I am getting before the screen stops at the point I have snapshot'ed it so that I can see a reference to a module?

I know this motherboard works with 4.3, but I failed to spot anyone with the board reporting success on the DSM 5 alpha

Thanks for helping Gnoboot, much appreciated!

I will need a bit more hand holding for this, is there a way to send dmesg on the USB key I use for booting? Whatever I tried I could not mount it to write to it and I am on a physical server so I can't copy & paste.

Can you suggest what to look for or how to slow down the trace of messages I am getting before the screen stops at the point I have snapshot'ed it so that I can see a reference to a module?

I know this motherboard works with 4.3, but I failed to spot anyone with the board reporting success on the DSM 5 alpha

Serial console and boot to debug GRUB option, use putty to capture the text messages during boot up. Though, not sure if you MB supports serial connection.

Spot on! that boots straight into the station, so the PAT file installation that reported failure must have succeeded.

Now, what does this means? I suspect there are limitations brought by those paramters, correct? Is that something you can fix in a future release?

Thanks for your help!

DAMN, I spoke too soon. After configuring DSM, I rebooted the box and I am stuck again.

For avoidance of doubt, can you confirm I did the right thing.

At the Grub menu, I choose the command line option. At the prompt, I type what you suggested, ENTER, then I typed "boot". Is that correct?

I get a different error now, maybe connected to the fact that I did run DSM for a while and it's trying to start that?

Here is the screenshot:

https://flic.kr/p/mGXCuC

There is a "Code: Bad RIP Value" followed by a {FAILED}

Then it hangs on "Updating rc.network"

[uPDATE, 3 APR 2014]

Since it seems it was stuck with whatever it had possibly badly installed on the HDD, I replaced it with a SSD I intended to add later. Booting with your GRUB parameters works, I installed the original 4458 .PAT file, but I then saw on the console lots of segfaults, see here:

https://flic.kr/p/mHDsTT

I had to turn it off and back on again, it works, but I still get segfaults when trying to do anything

At least now I can produce a dmesg and lspci, but I don't seem to be able to attach to this forum, what am I doing wrong?

[update]: now on PASTEBIN

dmesg: http://pastebin.com/EESu3ApG

lspci: http://pastebin.com/VrjfPFu0

[uPDATE2, 3 APR 2014]

This is getting weirder by the day!!

I reboot the machine, change the BIOS SATA settings from AHCI to IDE, forgot to enter the grub parameters and everything loads perfectly, not one error message.

I thought that it must have been that SATA mode and proceeded to add my original disk (a 500Gb HDD just for testing) to the setup I got to (Samsung SSD 830 128Gb), and guess what, it is all failing again. It seems to be linked to that HDD, whether it is the mode or what was installed on it when I first tried to install the PAT file.

Any further guidance will be most welcome!

Edited by Guest

Yeah, that is what I thought too! See my UPDATE2 in previous post, it is getting really messy. To recap:

I have 1 HDD of 500GB on which I initially tried to install XPEnology and triggered the failures.

I then replaced with an SSD Samsung 830 and tried with your parameters, worked with a few messages. Without GRUB params, works beautifully

I have a BIOS settings for SATA mode, not sure anymore if it helps/hinder or what.

I feel like I need to restart with a clean sheet to understand where it goes wrong. it does look like the 500Gb HDD is connected to the failures, but it is unclear. I would need to clean those disks before restarting to remove doubts about the Synology install on that disk that might be corrupt.

How would you like me to proceed with the step-by-step?

UPDATE!

I decided to follow my hunch and used Ubuntu on USB to boot and reformat the suspicious disk. It showed LINUX-RAID partitions and I just could not delete 1 of them, had to ask ubuntu to install itself on it to get it to remove it. Once that was done, I had no problems starting 10.4.7 alpha again, it all worked so it must have been an issue trying to detect or do something to that strange partition, really weird.

There is one issue left which might just be common to alpha testers here, I am getting segfaults every 10 seconds or so, it is not that regular but roughly

it says:

[  632.338178] storagehandler.[324]: segfault at 0 ip 000000000809e298 sp 00000000ffdad4b0 error 6

Any idea??