XPEnology Community

Compiling open-vm-tools with SynologyOpenSource pkgscripts-ng

Tattoofreak

As it was driving me nuts not to find anything about how to compile open-vm-tools so that we can always have the latest version for our xpenology systems I decided to give it a shot by myself. Now this is where I am stuck into.

It was a pain in the ass and a lot of reading until now but I don't want to give this up as I know many others asked for this too.

Once it's done I will create a step-by-step tutorial about that and post it here.

So guys...any help is very appreciated!

• 1 year later...
10 hours ago, Orphée said:

Hi, trying to build it for bromolow :

meson.build:1:0: ERROR: 'c' compiler binary not defined in cross or native file

Do you have any suggestion ?

Thanks

No, I'm actually not a compiling expert, I'm still learning from what I've currently done. But I'll try my best to help you out with this. I will try to compile for Bromolow myself. For which DSM version would you need it?

Thank you !

Just a remark about :

mv: cannot stat '/spksrc/spk/open-vm-tools/work-apollolake-6.2/install/var/packages/open-vm-tools/target/etc/vmware-tools/vm-support': No such file or directory

Simply execute the following command...

mkdir -p /spksrc/spk/open-vm-tools/work-apollolake-6.2/install/var/packages/open-vm-tools/target/etc/vmware-tools/vm-support

...and repeat the make command (don't worry, it will continue where it last stopped and does not start from beginning again):

I think it is not a folder but a file, it exists in scripts/common/ from open-vm-tools tar.

Maybe I'm wrong ?

I guess something has to be fixed with this missing file in the build project... ?

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Orphée said:

I guess something has to be fixed with this missing file in the build project... ?

Yes I think you're right. I was not able yet to dive deeper into it and I will try my best to resolve this. My first goal was to compile open-vm-tools by myself and as I did not find ANYTHING about it on how to reach this goal it really took me months of work to find out.

There are a few people who already compiled the open-vm-tools for DSM in the past but unfortunately none of them have posted anything about a how-to neither did anyone of them anwer a single question I asked.

That being said I wanted to share as much as possible what I have found out and I am thankful for anyone contributing and improving to this. Like I already mentioned, I am not a compiling expert and I am still learning about it and I am willing to learn. The more people contributing to this the more reliable this will work in the future with newer versions of open-vm-tools.

Edited by Tattoofreak
  • Thanks 1

@Tattoofreak

In spksrc/cross/open-vm-tools/Makefile

last line :

mv $(STAGING_INSTALL_PREFIX)/etc/vmware-tools/vm-support $(STAGING_INSTALL_PREFIX)/bin/

You may just need to remove this line, or if you think vm-support file is really needed then take it from elsewere :

find ./ |grep vm-support
./work-bromolow-6.2/install/var/packages/open-vm-tools/target/usr/bin/vm-support
./work-bromolow-6.2/open-vm-tools-11.2.5-17337674/scripts/common/vm-support

This should work :

mv $(STAGING_INSTALL_PREFIX)/usr/bin/vm-support $(STAGING_INSTALL_PREFIX)/bin/

But is just move it from /usr/bin to /bin

Not sure about the real benefit.

Edited by Orphée
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Orphée said:

@Tattoofreak

This should work :

mv $(STAGING_INSTALL_PREFIX)/usr/bin/vm-support $(STAGING_INSTALL_PREFIX)/bin/

But is just move it from /usr/bin to /bin

Not sure about the real benefit.

Not sure why the error is thrown while compiling. Also not sure whether the file is meant to be insde /usr/bin or just /bin.

With your patch applied, after compiling and installing the package on DSM, you will find the vm-support file here:

/volume1/@appstore/open-vm-tools/bin

The thing is that on DSM the path

/volume1/@appstore/open-vm-tools/etc/vmware-tools

actually does exist so maybe it's really meant to be there or it's just a mistake in the post-installation part of the script because something has changed in the past. I obvioulsly do not fully understand this yet. I will have a look on this as soon as I can find some time.

Anyway, it seems the file is just for collecting log information. When executig manually it generates a .tar.gz file inside the same folder.

I'm not sure if the script is meant to be called by some automation process which would be dependent on this script but for now I will apply your patch on Github.

Thank you for potentially fixing this mate!

Edited by Tattoofreak