XPEnology Community

Bought 1019+ (for the price of a stock 918+). Xpenology is so much quicker.

This piece of kit is worth bout 700 bucks due to supply/demand right now, but I got one for 500. I was eager to put my janky Xpenology to bed, but the UI is so.... sluggish compared to my Xpenology with a 10 year old desktop processor. I'm really considering selling it and get a few bucks out of the deal. At least with my Xpenology, I can upgrade to 10 gb networking relatively cheaply. I love the Synology OS, but damn... their hardware sucks.

Edited by ImmaGrumpyOldMan
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

I'd have thought that the performance of a real syno box and an xpe build of the same spec should be pretty similar, but that aside, I don't think its a fair comparison. I think people who buy a real syno box are doing so because they want a 'simple' integrated NAS solution, hardware and warranty support and a good feature set. Not everyone has the skills to setup an XPE/DSM system especially when they run in to compatibility problems. I run real syno, XPE/DSM, xigmanas and openmedia vault systems. Xigmanas is the probably the 'fastest', but most complicated to setup, OMV next, XPE/DSM next. Like you I prefer the DSM interface and features so 'put up' with the reduced performance from what I know I could probably have. I'm just grateful for the Devs that have made XPE/DSM a possibility, if that comes to an end then then its another solution  - something not faced with a real syno box. 

• Like 2

• 8 months later...

Synology is really dragging their feet with better hardware. I think they really put themselves into a corner with that hardware design - no better hardware can fit into that small box. So I dont expect better hardware in a small box from Synology.  Their only choices will be low power celerons that have no PCI-E and only have 4 SATA connections.

Intel is also here to blame - there are HUGE shortages of CPU's, so their 4000 series of Celerons is having the same issue. 

Qnap at this point just doesn't give any @#$'s and creates whatever size boxes it wants to fit the hardware. 

Problems with XPE is that you cant have them online, because each update is like having a major surgery. And if you dont have your box updated it's going to get hacked.

At this point I'm considering switching to Unraid, but it looks like I'll have to become a linux head to do even basic stuff on it. 

PS: your best bet is to wait for DS1620XS which holds Xeon D-1527 + NVME + 2x 2.5Gbe lan ports, + PCI-E slot. It will cost you an arm and a leg though. 

Edited by test4321

On 12/1/2019 at 10:17 PM, test4321 said:

Problems with XPE is that you cant have them online, because each update is like having a major surgery. And if you dont have your box updated it's going to get hacked.

Nothing that a VPN won't solve.  If you think your "patched up" Synology box can't be hacked, you need to meet some white hat security folks.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

• 1 year later...

QNAP has some nice cpu and hardware boxes but there OS Sucks !  QNAP box with Synology DSM software yes ! Synology needs to step it up, put in a intel or ryzen cpu with 6 cores 12 threads and 16 GB of ram... Would be nice someone would build a NAS software similar to DSM... Xpenology Rocks ! but these up dates are a killer to some. I'm running Xpenology on a Ryzen 5 2600 cpu with 16 GB of ram and 4 8 tb hard drives it ROCKS ! I also have Xeon 6 core boxes also running.  Hope this is not the end of Xpenology.  BTW I also have 2 Synology boxes a ds214 play and a ds920+ .  Also running OMV, TrueNas and FreeNas, 1 Qnap box. Just my 2 cents...

Edited by painkiller895

• 3 weeks later...

Just a new Xpen user...

Very cool!

My question is do most home users need the newest update?

I humbly suggest no. I just use mine to save family photos, movies, music.

The fact that we can take an old desktop and make a super fast NAS is incredible.

Thanks to ALL of you that created and help to improve this project.

Often makes me wonder if we channeled your brain power and ingenuity to solving cancer we could make inroads :)

THANKS!!!

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/14/2021 at 2:05 AM, painkiller895 said:

QNAP has some nice cpu and hardware boxes but there OS Sucks !  QNAP box with Synology DSM software yes ! Would be nice someone would build a NAS software similar to DSM... Xpenology Rocks ! but these up dates are a killer to some. Also running OMV, TrueNas and FreeNas, 1 Qnap box. Just my 2 cents...

Yes, it's not about chip shortage, but greed. They always put the outlet hardware inside.. Really old discounted junky chips, slightly faster than router chips. That's why i will not buy their box.

XPenology is milkyway better than Freenas, which is way better than OMV/Xigma. I do love technicalities about Freenas - jails, native FDE encryption, TCG OPAL support, better NFS and Samba with "Previous versions" support. In DMS i'm getting lausy FBE encryption which cripples tons of functionality (can't replicate some; can't hyperbackup some; can't encrypt emails; Drive is eating disk space because BTRFS snapping doesn't not work with FBE etc etc), i'm forced to use DuckUSB to type TCG password otherwise emails incl. plaintext passwords (yes!) are naked. But I couldn't fix it on their box. Absolutely wouldn't consider them for business based on my experience (there's more and more... horrible design choices).

But.... these technicals are of ZERO concert for the home users. Users are happy to launch Photos on every single device (mobile, tablet, TV, PC). 20 Android apps incl. strong Surveillance. Meanwhile all other NAS solutions have ZERO apps. There's NextCloud with a filesharing app, but overall super weak solution. So without DSM, i've nowhere to go. Probably i'd go Qnap.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

I used FreeNas, Qnap, XigNas but DSM is the "real thing", from my experience, FreeNas is by far the best in deep configuration. Couple years ago I had a Synology box but when I run into XPE I was chocked by the speed of DSM on a old laptop that couldn't even run Windows on a "normal" way, I build a i5 32 GB M2 SSD NVMe box.

And as @painkiller895 said, I hoop this is not the end of Xpenology, maybe a "Donation" button could help!

Grtz,