XPEnology Community

DIY Nas for Surveillance Station

geosynology

I'm thinking about building a Nas for the purpose of just running surveillance Station. Would I see any benefits in building one over the Ds718+ that i own now. For the life of me I can't get live view not to stutter and Lag. I've spent hrs trying to get live view video smooth and it's just not going to happen. All I can think of at this point is that the 718+ just can't handle what I'm throwing at it but the cpu is never taxed so I really have no clue. Funny thing is no matter if I have the cameras streaming at 4k@30fps or 1280x720@15fps live view just stutters with things like auto's. I'm positive it's not my client pc specs because it's a crazy overkill build and and no matter which client PC Ipad android tab they all stutter. Vlc streams run smooth as butter. Blue iris live view smooth as well. I can live with the lag and just not use Live view to view live streams but that kinda makes no sense. Oh and the recordings if I download them and play them back they play smooth If i use Surveillance Station to play them back same stutter problem. Any advice as to if building my own nas would help out or not would be much appreciated.  

Edited by geosynology

If I recall correctly, surveillance station needs additional licences for more than 2 cameras, that are checked against a valid Syno serial number, if you are running XPE/DSM then you may have issues. Personally I've never had 'success' using surveillance station, on real Syno boxes, always get issues with video similar to you, I don't think the hardware and package can cope.

You dont mention your cctv spec or what you want to achieve,  but maybe look at zoneminder or ispyconnect as dedicated 'NVR' self build systems, both of these can be configured with a lot of options. Or maybe just get a good spec NVR, say hikvision, let that do the dedicated hard work, and just access via client software on lan or wan.

11 hours ago, sbv3000 said:

If I recall correctly, surveillance station needs additional licences for more than 2 cameras, that are checked against a valid Syno serial number, if you are running XPE/DSM then you may have issues. Personally I've never had 'success' using surveillance station, on real Syno boxes, always get issues with video similar to you, I don't think the hardware and package can cope.

You dont mention your cctv spec or what you want to achieve,  but maybe look at zoneminder or ispyconnect as dedicated 'NVR' self build systems, both of these can be configured with a lot of options. Or maybe just get a good spec NVR, say hikvision, let that do the dedicated hard work, and just access via client software on lan or wan.

Thank you for the info. If I already use a ds718+ can I just use the SN from that and move my camera licenses over to new box?

The best answer is 'No' because using real syno serial and mac is a misuse of their servers and T&Cs and its not recommended by the community (see the faq). I've also seen threads where people HAVE used real S/N & MAC on their XPE boxes but Surveillance licences wont install anyway, perhaps there are other 'checks' that these licences make for real hardware? Looking at the price of surveillance licences, £200 for 4 add on seems really expensive to me, I would just get one of these https://www.hikvision.com/en/Products/HiLook/Network-Video-Recorder/1-HDD/NVR-104H-D--NVR-108H-D plus a hard drive, connect your IP cameras and done

• 2 weeks later...
On 23 March 2019 at 5:39 AM, Silvershark said:

I own hik cameras and their software. The Major downside Is That The File Format Is Proprietary... I switched to syno surviellence because it's ease of use and native mp4 format.

True, but hikvision provide software to convert 'their' format to avi or standard MP4. Also, vlc plays hikvision files downloaded from a nvr or direct from a NAS hard drive.  I have a setup with xpe/DSM NAS, ip cams/nvr with smb write record files to the NAS. Accessing the share you can download a record file (250mb chunks) and play/edit etc. The hik ivms app can manage this.