XPEnology Community

Installed XPEnology + Plex on N54L, how to stream to TV

mack

What TV is it?

Some Smart TV have a native Plex app or UPNP/DLNA clients.

I use Plex on a Samsung TV and it is pretty much perfect but in the past have used Xbox360/PS3, WDTV etc to stream.

I also have a Chrome now for the non-smart TVs which works great with Plex.

Sorry I didn't notice that you'd already said you had a graphics card. So does the TV not work as a monitor for the server, if so then I would have expected that when you played something through the web interface it would go to your TV. If it doesn't show the server booting then maybe it's not happy with the resolution of the server.

The NAS box is the Plex server, you will need a plex client to connect to the TV, this could be a Chromecast, a roku box, a raspberry pi running plex or a DLNA client. There are lots of options.

The media streams over the network from the NAS box to the client, you do not connect the NAS box to the TV.

Rgds

Brynn

AFAIK Synology DSM does not support screens, so it is pointless to even have the video card in it (except if you use it for BTC/otherC mining. In which case it is still pointless as the electricity bill will be higher than anything you can mine out).

I think the guy who originally told me to get a graphics card misunderstood my questions about streaming (telling me to get the card itself) or confused me with someone else. Was only $60 or so, not a big deal. Maybe I'll hack together a HTPC from old stuff and use that card in it.