XPEnology Community

Back up from Diskstation to Windows

andyd358

Hi,

I would like to set a back up from my Diskstation (DSM 5 Beta) to a shared folder on my Server 2012 essentials R2. I cant see a way to do it with the standard applications.

I dont want to backup everything as my Diskstation has a lot more storage than my server. Diskstation has 1 x 3tb drive 2 x 1 tb drive Raid 1 and a 1 tb for temp files. (last disc is a bit flakey thats why its only for temp files. Both machines are HP Proliant microservers. The Server 2012 R2 is also my CCTV Camera server. only has a 250 gb (OS) a 500 and 250 in a storage pool and a 1 tb holding VMS. ( elastix and observium)

I really only want to back up my photos and kids movies to the server not too bothered about everything else.

I have mounted a remote folder and manually copied the photos over but I would like a incremental automatic back up.

Any recommendations apart from manually copy them.

Hi,

I would like to set a back up from my Diskstation (DSM 5 Beta) to a shared folder on my Server 2012 essentials R2. I cant see a way to do it with the standard applications.

I dont want to backup everything as my Diskstation has a lot more storage than my server. Diskstation has 1 x 3tb drive 2 x 1 tb drive Raid 1 and a 1 tb for temp files. (last disc is a bit flakey thats why its only for temp files. Both machines are HP Proliant microservers. The Server 2012 R2 is also my CCTV Camera server. only has a 250 gb (OS) a 500 and 250 in a storage pool and a 1 tb holding VMS. ( elastix and observium)

I really only want to back up my photos and kids movies to the server not too bothered about everything else.

I have mounted a remote folder and manually copied the photos over but I would like a incremental automatic back up.

Any recommendations apart from manually copy them.

you can do a robocopy within windows, or use a script in powershell for windows.

you can do a robocopy within windows, or use a script in powershell for windows.

Never thought of pulling it from Diskstation to windows, Was thinking DSM pushing to Windows. Ill look into that. Any hints?

Enable SMB on your windows and mount it inside DSM to copy?

Or setup rsync on your windows. Too many ways. Since windows is almostly capable of any kind of server softwares.

I myself recommend robocopy or something likes that because it is always easier to config on a desktop environment.

• 1 month later...