XPEnology Community

Baremetal Asrock Q1900 Not responding

ferdytao

Hi to all, I need your help to resolve my problem with XPE.

My installation consist of an Asrock Q1900 mini itx with 4GB RAM end 3 TB HD + 500GB HD, actually I have last juno's loader 1.04b DS918 but I tried all the other versions too.

It's used to record 2 ip cams, media server with Video Station and Plex and some shared folders mapped on it.

Since when I update from XPE 5.x to 6.x the server became unstable, every couple of days it loos the connection. Sniffing the network there are no packages coming out from XPE, it doesn't get the IP from the DHCP (also with static address was the same). No logs are stored during this "freezing" time and the only thing I can do is a manual reset and it's so frustrating specially when I'm out of town.

Could someone help

Thanks a lot!

@ferdytao

One of my systems is an AsRock Q1900-ITX, with Jun's 1.04 and the 918+, running all OK, but it was installed on a clean system, not updated from 5.x

Since you have updated from DSM 5.x, you might have some old files making a problem for you.

Normally, symtoms of this problem is manifesting itself in services behaving strange, and the network info (in controlpanel) shows up empty.

Try these steps:

Activate the SSH service in DSM (if not active)
Connect to your NAS with an SSH client (e.g. putty) (or from Win 10, open a cmd window, run : ssh admin@my.nas.ip (replace with the actual IP)
Enter your credentials (user: admin)
Change folder to root (cd /)
Delete the xpenoboot folder (sudo rm -r .xpenoboot)
If the SSH service keeps stopping, you have to be quick.

Reboot, and see how it behaves now.

Thanks a lot for your help! I'm going to try as soon as possible!
I usually use SSH to connect to Synology so it's not a problem and it doesn't freeze do quickly but every couple of days or weeks... Very randomly!

Anyway I will keep you update!! Thanks again

Inviato dal mio SM-G950F utilizzando Tapatalk

What are the MAC address settings in your grub file? Is it set to the same as the MAC of the NIC or a 'fake' one? Is it blank?

There might be an issue with DHCP renewal, as you say the box drops connection every couple of days, maybe look at the lease time if it is about the same.

I would try setting MAC to blank in grub and setting a DHCP reservation in the router (not static in DSM), see what happens, then also try setting MAC to match the NIC and test. You could also try a static address in DSM, but make it outside of the router dhcp scope.

• Like 1

What are the MAC address settings in your grub file? Is it set to the same as the MAC of the NIC or a 'fake' one? Is it blank?
There might be an issue with DHCP renewal, as you say the box drops connection every couple of days, maybe look at the lease time if it is about the same.
I would try setting MAC to blank in grub and setting a DHCP reservation in the router (not static in DSM), see what happens, then also try setting MAC to match the NIC and test. You could also try a static address in DSM, but make it outside of the router dhcp scope.
Thanks for your answer, there is the real MAC address on my grub, I had the problem both with static DSM address or DHCP lease. I don't think is a renewal problem because sniffing the interface there is nothing going outside from the Synology.
I just update my DSM to last release and waiting for problem showing up again,l than I will try as you suggested to leave blank on my grub file

Inviato dal mio SM-G950F utilizzando Tapatalk

• 8 months later...
On 3/4/2019 at 1:26 PM, bearcat said:

One of my systems is an AsRock Q1900-ITX, with Jun's 1.04 and the 918+, running all OK, but it was installed on a clean system, not updated from 5.x

Hi bearcat,

I`m unsing a ASRock Q1900DC-ITX and try to install DSM 6.2.2-24922 Update 4 with JUN'S LOADER v1.04b on a clean system.

My problem is, that the network card doesn't work after the DSM installation. Do you use the internal network card in your configuration or an external PCIe Card?

If your are using an external NIC it would be interesting to know the type of the card.

Best regards

hessi

11 hours ago, flyride said:

Look up real3x mod should fix your problem.

You talk about that post, right?

I allready tried that. But as I have no network connection, I can't connect to the console, right? Or is there an other way to open the shell?

I tried to replace the extra.lzma in partition 1 of the img-file with OSFMount, but that didn't change anything. Was the procedure right?

Perhaps I did something wrong and have to try it again.

Thanks for your help!

Regards

hessi

On 11/28/2019 at 8:34 AM, flyride said:

Download 6.2.1, install and follow the real3x procedure.  It's not just replacing extra.lzma, but you have to run the scripted commands that cause the i915 driver to be disabled.

Then update to latest version.

Hi flyride,

it tested the procedure. Installing DSM_DS918+_23824 was no problem. The internal NIC works with that version.

After that, I copied the extra.lzma with WinSCP to /volume1/extra.lzma and did the following commands:

echo 1 > /proc/sys/kernel/syno_install_flag
mkdir -p /mnt/synoboot1
mkdir -p /mnt/synoboot2
mount /dev/synoboot1 /mnt/synoboot1
mount /dev/synoboot2 /mnt/synoboot2

cd /mnt/synoboot2
rm extra2.lzma
cp /volume1/extra.lzma extra.lzma
rm -rf /usr/lib/modules/update/*

rm /volume1/extra.lzma

After that I rebooted the system. But now the system is not reachable again.

Edited by de.hessi.james
update

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/27/2019 at 2:41 PM, de.hessi.james said:

. Do you use the internal network card in your configuration or an external PCIe Card?

Sorry for late reply, due to an eye-surgery.

I'm using the internal NIC, and as can be seen by my posts here and  here there is a "limit" on how far I can upgrade with it.

Edited by Polanskiman
wrong post

• 1 month later...

Same issues here, accidentally updated to 6.2.2 instead of a minor 6.2.1 update, now stuck with a unbootable nas with a lot of data on it. Tried the various extra driver files and tried a PCI-E 1x Intel nic but so far no luck. Anyone have a good idea to get this working again without losing the data?

3 hours ago, freddyemmer said:

k. Anyone have a good idea to get this working again without losing the data?

in general a driver pack that is made for 6.2.2 should fix it, when its 3615/17 then its already available, if its 918+ it will be in a few hours

just copy the new  extra.lzma to the usb (the new kernel zImage and rd.gz should already be the one of 6.2.2 as you have installed it already)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I think the problem you're having might be due to the driver of your internal Realtek 8111GR NIC, coz in synology's driver package the realtek NIC driver is their self-signed R8168 which only works with:

RTL8111B / RTL8168B / RTL8111 / RTL8168 / RTL8111C / RTL8111CP / RTL8111D(L) / RTL8168C / RTL8111DP / RTL8111E / RTL8168E / RTL8111F / RTL8411 / RTL8111G / RTL8111GUS / RTL8411B(N) / RTL8118AS

Your NIC needs a proper R8169 to function properly.

The above are only my wild guess coz I had problems with realtek NICs before and DSM 6.2.x is really picky about NICs.

If fixing drivers is much of a hassle for you, I think the best thing to ensure it works is to install an external Intel i211AT for 918+ loader, or 82576EB/82583-V for 3615/3617 loader because these cards were confirmed to work by other users in this post: 

P.S. I had a J1900 ITX board before with dual 82583-V NIC, functioned properly with both ds3617xs 1.03b loader with DSM 6.1.7 image and ds918+ 1.04b loader with DSM 6.2.1 update 6 image, although the board now is retired and used as a firewall instead of NAS

• 5 months later...