XPEnology Community

Riverbed Steelhead 1050 - Works out of the box

Stonent

Everything just seemed to work perfect right from the start using the latest Jun's boot loader and the latest 3617 PAT supplied (as of 2/2019)

The hardware in the Steelhead originally was a Xeon E5205 (basically a core 2 duo) and 2GB of ECC memory, 2GB of storage on a USB DIsk On Module that plugs into a motherboard 7 pin USB header. The motherboard is made by TYAN but is not a model they list on their site or any support documents.  It has a 5100X chipset with 6 Intel Gigabit Ethernet ports and 2 rear facing USB 2.0 ports.  It has 2 slots on a riser for x16 cards but I don't think they are wired all the way through to the full x16.  The slot covers are non-standard so you have to remove the bracket from any PCIe cards you use.  The chassis is at Tyan Tank chassis, similar to the GT24 series but the front panel is a little different.  It has 4x 3.5" drive bays, and no hardware RAID.

I upgraded to a Xeon E5450 (Quad core with 12MB of cache) and 16GB of memory.  It has no video so you have to do everything over the serial console.  If you need it to boot from any other device you have to change a setting in the bios over the serial console to allow booting from other devices and set your external USB as a boot drive.  You can install a video card in there if you want but I recommend if doing any hardware changes to clear the CMOS.  When I originally put in a 4 core xeon, it would only see 2 cores until I cleared the CMOS. Then when I put the E5450 in, it was running at the wrong speed until I cleared the CMOS.

You can use a video card sometimes but it doesn't really like it always.

The 4x gigabit ports have relays on them so they can be put in a bypass mode.  The fans scream along at 8500 RPM unless you hit the power button several times quickly, then they scream along at 18,000 RPM instead.  I have found no way to control the fan speed.  In Windows 10 all the fan control programs I tried could not alter the speed no matter what.

Virtualization does work in DSM just fine once you upgrade the RAM to at least 4GB.

I found some pics online of what it looks like.  By default it has a flip down cover over the drives, but mine was broke on one side so I removed it.

Here's a teardown video done by someone else.  It's the 2050, but all that is a maxxed out 1050.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jV3iHxniryc&t=1633s

steelhead-1050-rear.jpg

steelhead-1050-front.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

• Stonent changed the title to Riverbed Steelhead 1050 - Works out of the box
  • 2 weeks later...