XPEnology Community

Failed to install file. The file is probably corrupted

steve23094

So I have been trying to migrate from a DS3615XS with Jun's loader 1.02b to DS918+ and Jun's loader 1.04b.

I have a baremetal Asus Z170M Plus which has an Intel I219V NIC.  Posts by other users say that this is a compatible NIC.

My NAS is being picked up by the Synology app and web service, it is listed as a 918 and migratable,

Jun's loader appears to load fine.

I have tried using a manual install of PAT 6.2 and 6.21.

I am getting the error message, 'Failed to install file.  The file is probably corrupted (13)'.  I know this is often an error in your PID or VID so I have attached screenshots of my PID/VID and Grub file.

I have also tried downloading the latest PAT direct to the device, and receive an error message, 'Failed to download the DSM installation file. Please check the network connection and try again (46)'.  I think there might be a clue here.

Right now I have probably blown away my DSM installation, I was getting desperate so I tried a fresh DSM install migration (formatting DSM, but keeping your data).

Screenshot 2019-02-24 at 16.15.23.png

Screenshot 2019-02-24 at 16.13.52.png

• 2 weeks later...

Which PAT did you download? The version which is linked in the appropriate download links thread or a newer file from synology? You should always use the PAT linked in the forum.

How did you try to roll back? With the former DS3615XS or the DS918?

If nothing helps you can try to delete all system partitions on each hdd and start over. You‘ll loose your settings and installed apps but any storage pool/raid will remain intact.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/11/2019 at 6:14 PM, jensmander said:

Which PAT did you download? The version which is linked in the appropriate download links thread or a newer file from synology? You should always use the PAT linked in the forum.

How did you try to roll back? With the former DS3615XS or the DS918?

If nothing helps you can try to delete all system partitions on each hdd and start over. You‘ll loose your settings and installed apps but any storage pool/raid will remain intact.

Thank you for your reply.

There is no link to a PAT in the 6.2 loader thread.  However, I have tried both 6.2 and 6.2.1.

I have tried to rollback using both 3615 and 918.

I have tried deleting the system partitions, mentioned in my original post.

TBH.  I have almost given up because I’m not getting any help here.  I’m considering buying a 918+.  My only concerns with that is the disks are encrypted, I assume that shouldn’t cause a problem otherwise nobody would ever be able to migrate in that situation.  But I don’t know what order my disks are in and I know you have to install them in the correct order.  Obviously I can’t boot into DSM to check.  I might not have installed them in order by SATA connector on my motherboard, because of cabling issues in my case.  What happens if I install the disks in the wrong order?  Does it destroy your array?  Or do you get the opportunity to swap them around?

On 3/21/2019 at 5:21 AM, Olegin said:

i219 not working with 6.2 loaders, only i210/211 will work with 1.03b and i210/211, realtek 8111 with 1.04b.

Thanks for your reply.

i found a post here from someone that said they had 6.2 running with an i219.  Maybe it was a typo.

Nevertheless I have tried to roll back with the same result.  So something else is going on.

Edited by steve23094

• 1 year later...

ok her is my situation:

i got a dell optiplex 7010 with intel !5 processor 

i prepared all what i need for install .i guess if not am mistaken i have to install this version DS3615xs 6.1.2 Jun's Mod V1.02b .so when i boot from usb all goes ok till i browse  to the server ip and get connected  all ok i tried two ways first manual installation with DSM_DS3615xs_15152 the process goes till 56% and stops with error: (13) invalide DSM .

Remember when  tried aut install and download from server of synology gives also the same error and somtimes gives cant download the files due to connection problems.

So im stuck in this situation ,what am doing wrong ? tried for the second time the higher version >>> jun's_mod_v1.03b_ds3615xs without any succes 

Note: the first time connect gives install the server and now after all what i try when i try to install get in place of install>>>Migrate 

Some on ecan please help me go through this 

Apreciate all your work guys

7 hours ago, Red100 said:

ok her is my situation:

i got a dell optiplex 7010 with intel !5 processor 

i prepared all what i need for install .i guess if not am mistaken i have to install this version DS3615xs 6.1.2 Jun's Mod V1.02b .so when i boot from usb all goes ok till i browse  to the server ip and get connected  all ok i tried two ways first manual installation with DSM_DS3615xs_15152 the process goes till 56% and stops with error: (13) invalide DSM .

Remember when  tried aut install and download from server of synology gives also the same error and somtimes gives cant download the files due to connection problems.

So im stuck in this situation ,what am doing wrong ? tried for the second time the higher version >>> jun's_mod_v1.03b_ds3615xs without any succes 

Note: the first time connect gives install the server and now after all what i try when i try to install get in place of install>>>Migrate 

Some on ecan please help me go through this 

Apreciate all your work guys

Sure, you need to set VID PID for the bootloader on first boot

This is taken from above tutorial

Note 4: Configuration added to the grub.cfg file can also be done directly during the Grub Boot Menu, so technically you can skip Point 4 and burn the image on the USB drive without editing anything (read Point 5 onward first). If you wish to do the changes from the Grub Boot Menu directly you need to press the letter 'C' when you see the Boot Menu. You will literally only have one second, so be fast. Once you press 'C' you will be in a Grub command line environment. To change your VID enter the following:

vid 0xYOUR 4 DIGITS USB DRIVE VID

Do the same for pid, sn and mac1. Press enter at each command. The commands are:

pid 0xYOUR 4 DIGITS USB DRIVE PID sn YOUR NAS SERIAL NUMBER mac1 YOUR NAS MAC1 ADDRESS

If you have multiple NICs you can also issue mac2, mac3 and mac4 as commands. Maximum is mac4. See below:

mac2 YOUR NAS MAC2 ADDRESS mac3 YOUR NAS MAC3 ADDRESS mac4 YOUR NAS MAC4 ADDRESS

If you think you made a mistake in the numbers simply re-issue the command. When you are done press esc and select the appropriate menu entry.

• 5 months later...

I also get the same error (13).  However this was *after* I successfully created a VM using proxmox and then did a factory reset from the Synology web UI of the NAS running in the VM.

No matter what I did I always got the error, things I tried:

* removing all configured disks from the VM.

* removing all EFI disks from the VM.

* removing the PCI passthough from the VM.

* verified the MD5 of the file I downloaded was correct (using the handy HashTab tool on windows http://implbits.com/products/hashtab/)

* restoring the config of the VM to the original one that I used when I created the VM.

What solved it for me was DELETING the ISO image from the proxmox 'local' storage - I had uploaded it as 'synoboot_ds918_1.04.img' and then re-uploading it.

Why does this work?  The synoboot image appears to be modified once booted, and no-longer works for a re-install afterwards.

I checked this by comparing the MD5 sum of the image on the server before and after booting it.

before:

via hashtabs of file synoboot_ds918_1.04.img before uploading it - B8FEE45A22B1263899F84E9030827742

via commandline after uploading it:

root@proxmox:/etc/pve/qemu-server# md5sum /var/lib/vz/template/iso/synoboot_ds918_1.04.img
b8fee45a22b1263899f84e9030827742  /var/lib/vz/template/iso/synoboot_ds918_1.04.img

after booting the VM:

root@proxmox:/etc/pve/qemu-server# md5sum /var/lib/vz/template/iso/synoboot_ds918_1.04.img
a28c0d30885684a16a8445d2adf99b20  /var/lib/vz/template/iso/synoboot_ds918_1.04.img

so, I suggest the following, which I didn't see noted elsewhere:

* keep the IMG file used to boot the VM handy if you need to re-install it.

* don't shame IMG files between VMs.

Hope this helps someone!  If it does let me know.

Ack, I was bitten by that earlier too.

So, it's helpful to have a clean version of your bootloader (pre-installation) saved somewhere - I got back up and running pretty quickly because of that; clone it before attaching it to your VM with `vmkfstools -i`.

You can also consider VM snapshotting, but I didn't go this route. Maybe next time I end up with a new bootloader:

- The synoboot VMDK should be attached to SATA0:0 as usual, in dependent mode.

- Any capacity VMDKs you plan on using should be attached to SATA1:x in Independent-Persistent mode.

- Finally, snapshot the VM before you boot, or at a time where you know it's in a good state, so you can roll back to this point of time later. You can confirm this is working right if you look at the VM directory and see that there's a -000001.vmdk for the bootloader VMDK, but not the data disks.

- If you use Physical RDMs, you effectively get the same results, too, since pRDMs can't be snapshotted.

• 1 year later...

The same thing happened to me with the DS918 Plus.  When I try to install the latest update of the DSM, I will get the same error as well.  It took me 2 hours to go through all the previous releases of the operating system. Because the latest DSM wasn't allowing me to install, I downloaded a previous release from the official website and I was able to install the operating system.   The install ended up being successful but it was a pain.

• 2 months later...

Thanks for the hints.

Got the issue with ARPL v0.5 after a failed migration.

image.thumb.png.ef85689417df53b730298c891f1de5bd.png

Was kinda scared as even putting back the old USB stick and trying with the old .pat file didnt work anymore.

Reformated the USB stick again with USB32diskImager and tried again from the beginning.

It doesn't show "Migration" anymore but "Reinstall"  and now works.