XPEnology Community

ASRock J4105-ITX test, transcoding, etc. With ASRock J5005-ITX will be the same.

Olegin

2 minutes ago, darkknigt said:

If you don't use Intel ethernet adapter ( mother board net card is Realtek)   and update to 6.2.2 you lost HW Transcoding and SW Transcoding.

I'll just stick with 6.2.1 for now then. 

You mentioned using an Intel ethernet card...is there a recommended one I can add on that would work? 

9 hours ago, toyanucci said:

I'll just stick with 6.2.1 for now then. 

You mentioned using an Intel ethernet card...is there a recommended one I can add on that would work? 

In the forum they comment that the problems in the updates with the network adapters disappear when using Intel network cards. I have not tried it, currently 6.2.1 is enough for me.

7 hours ago, darkknigt said:

In the forum they comment that the problems in the updates with the network adapters disappear when using Intel network cards. I have not tried it, currently 6.2.1 is enough for me.

I'll stick with 6.2.1 as well and try not to let the update bug bite me lol. 

@darkknigt So I've done my bare metal setup and hw transcoding seems to be enabled but I am having issues with the new plex server versions.  Both the beta and the newest release version from plex's site don't hw transcode, they just get stuck at the playback screen when transcoding is attempted but when I install the plex version from the package center hw transcoding works fine.  Have you encountered this problem?  What plex server version are you running?

6 hours ago, toyanucci said:

@darkknigt So I've done my bare metal setup and hw transcoding seems to be enabled but I am having issues with the new plex server versions.  Both the beta and the newest release version from plex's site don't hw transcode, they just get stuck at the playback screen when transcoding is attempted but when I install the plex version from the package center hw transcoding works fine.  Have you encountered this problem?  What plex server version are you running?

I'm update plex manualy and HW transcoding work fine ¿are you Plex Pass? Plex Pass its necesary for HW transcoding

24 minutes ago, darkknigt said:

I'm update plex manualy and HW transcoding work fine ¿are you Plex Pass? Plex Pass its necesary for HW transcoding

Yes, lifetime plex pass. Is there any bios setting I may need to set or something? The only thing I changed in the bios is to power back on it power is ever lost. 

On 12/7/2019 at 1:04 PM, toyanucci said:

Yes, lifetime plex pass. Is there any bios setting I may need to set or something? The only thing I changed in the bios is to power back on it power is ever lost. 

i dont touch any on BIOS config. Sorry.

Did you verify that hardware transcoding was active at the end of the installation?

27 minutes ago, darkknigt said:

i dont touch any on BIOS config. Sorry.

Did you verify that hardware transcoding was active at the end of the installation?

Yes. HW transcoding works with plex version from the package center (1.16) but with the latest version from plex's site (1.18.2 & 1.18.3) HW transcoding tries to work but all I get is audio and a frozen picture. 

Are you using any additional or modified files with the loader? 

Edited by toyanucci

I fixed it! 

Using info from this post.

So far this issue appears to be limited to NAS’s with an Apollo Lake processor. As a stop gap, could those affected please try the following; SSH into your NAS and then remove the new Intel Media Driver (iHD) rm "/volume1/@appstore/Plex Media Server/lib/dri/iHD_drv_video.so" this will cause PMS to fallback to the older Intel VA-API driver (i965_drv_video.so) for HW transcoding. please let us know if this resolves your burning subtitles issue.

After removing that file I stopped and restarted the server and all is well now. 

Hope this helps someone! 

• Thanks 2

Just an update...

HW Transcoding works but it sometimes has a problem at the start of the transcode where the image is very blocky for about a minute then it gets back to normal. It doesn't affect me much as I usually direct stream around the house but I recently started sharing my plex server with my brother in another state and I know it's gonna bother him/his family so I went back to the plex version in the package center. 

On 12/15/2019 at 12:11 AM, Jseinfeld said:

Yup, HW transcoding was buggy and would freeze. Removing that file, fixed it up

Removing the file helps mostly but I sometimes get the 60-90 seconds of blocky decoding when starting hw transcoding. I ended up reverting to the version in the package center. Hoping they iron out a fix soon!