XPEnology Community

HP N54L Bare Metal New Install 6.2.1 Update 4

kenysc

Just a quick guide from my installation of DSM 6.2.1 Update4, before I forget it. The process was much easier than I expected, thanks to all the contributions and sharing in this forum.

152575930_dsmn54ls.thumb.JPG.e2a5fcd2e30893b47694894ac1c6939b.JPG

*** This guide required MODDED BIOS and a HP NC360T NIC ***

Hardware Setup

1. Flash kamzata's modded bios, use attached file to burn an USB drive with the modded bios, boot the server from it and let it completes the bios flashing
  2. Install the HP NC360T NIC, I bought a used one in Taobao for 14 bucks
  3. Load "Optimal Defaults" from BIOS, then
  • In Advance page, disable C1E Support
  • In Chipset page, disable the onboard NIC Atheros AR8132M NIC

DSM Installation

1. Download Jun's Loader v1.03b DS3615xs (Synoboot_3615.zip | 17.3 MB | MD5 = e145097bbff03c767cc59b00e60c4ded)
  2. Download PAT file DS31615xs DSM 6.2.1-23824 Update4 (263MB)
  3. Prepare the USB boot drive, I followed Polanskiman's tutorial to write the generated SNUSB vid and pid in to grub.cfg boot image then burned it to my USB drive (below steps also come from Polanskiman's tutorial, really recommended to read it through)
  4. Boot the USB drive, select the 1st option (or just let it timeout in a sec), wait for 10mins then run Synology Assistant, your Microserver should be found as a "Not Installed" DSM
  5. Right click on the found DSM and select install, browse to the download PAT file above. Installation will take some time (10mins for my 8TB drives)

Post Installation

• Enable SSH login
  • Update packages
  • Add SynoCommunity package sources - http://packages.synocommunity.com/

Packages

• Log Center
  • Storage Analyzer
  • Photo Station
  • Audio Station
  • Surveillance Station
  • Transmission

WIP

Kamzata Modded BIOS - run HPQUSB.rar

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

First post so please be gentle!

I followed these instructions along with Polanskiman's tutorial and successfully installed 6.2.2 Update 3 on my stock N54L apart from quad port intel i340 NIC... the weird thing was, it never asked me to upload the PAT file and I ended up with this...

image.thumb.png.3d5c70c979890757819c118e8ab9bcbf.png

Just wondering, do I continue to need the USB to boot off? Cheers.

Edited by insomniac
added details

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 11/16/2019 at 6:31 PM, Benson said:

I am also using HP N54l + HP NC360T ,  i found that reboot and shutdown is not working ( 1.03b + 6.2.2 24922 3615xs) , 

Is this bios setting problems or anything eles ? 

In order for N54L shutdown and reboot to work, it is very important to change the following in BIos:

"In booting, disable the embedded NIC control" something like that if I remember it correctly

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/4/2019 at 1:39 AM, jycai said:

In order for N54L shutdown and reboot to work, it is very important to change the following in BIos:

"In booting, disable the embedded NIC control" something like that if I remember it correctly

You are correct!! I had an issue with shutdown & reboot. The solution is disable all 3 in the BIOS.

Boot Settings -> Embedded NIC Port 1 Control – [Disabled]

Boot Settings -> Wake-On LAN – [Disabled]

Chipset -> Atheros AR8132M NIC – [Disabled]

On 12/24/2019 at 6:21 PM, Dfds said:

If you want to run DSM 6.2 then yes you need a HP NC360T

Just to clarify, ;-) It don't have to be a HP NC360T

as long as it is a compatible nic (one that is supported with the DSM version you use) you will be fine.

One of my N54L's are currently running DSM 6.2-23739 Update 2 with the internal nic, 

but if I accept the "Update offering" to DSM 6.2.2 I will be fu**ed...

• 3 months later...
On 12/26/2019 at 8:13 PM, bearcat said:

Just to clarify, ;-) It don't have to be a HP NC360T

as long as it is a compatible nic (one that is supported with the DSM version you use) you will be fine.

One of my N54L's are currently running DSM 6.2-23739 Update 2 with the internal nic, 

but if I accept the "Update offering" to DSM 6.2.2 I will be fu**ed...

Hi. So you're saying that I can install  DSM 6.2-23739 Update 2 using loader v1.03b without changing the bios and using the internal network card? 

2 hours ago, bearcat said:

@bnicolae Basically, thats what I'm saying, but be warned that any updates will brick your system (unless you modify your bootloader with extra drivers).

Ok, I managed to install 6.2 on an empty drive used for tests. One very important step is to disable C1E in BIOS. Now, any recommendations on how to upgrade from 6.0.2 to 6.2? I have 3 JBOD disks. 

1 hour ago, bnicolae said:

Ok, I managed to install 6.2 on an empty drive used for tests. One very important step is to disable C1E in BIOS. Now, any recommendations on how to upgrade from 6.0.2 to 6.2? I have 3 JBOD disks. 

Nvm, I've added the disks one by one and now it's OK. 

• Like 1

В 06.04.2020 в 15:22, bnicolae сказал:

Disabling C1E was really crutial !!! Tnx a lot

@bnicolae and @Artem_01 

I was not paying attention to that "small detail" in regards to disabling C1E in the BIOS, 

bnicolae asked if he could install 6.2 without *changing* the BIOS, and he could do so.

(most microservers are run with hacked/modified BIOS and the you need to *change* or upgrade your BIOS.

Changing a setting, as in disabling the C1E, I read as something else.

Besides, that has been mentioned in several threads and tutorials so I assumed you had read it allready.

• 10 months later...
On 2/22/2021 at 9:37 PM, bnicolae said:

Hi all,

I upgraded my DSM 6.2 running on N54L to 6.2.3 using loader 1.03b, extra_lzma v11 https://gofile.io/d/h0Fxvk and the network card on the motherboard.

I also upgraded my DSM 6.2 running on N54L to 6.2.3 using loader 1.03b and the network card on the motherboard. Why did you use extra_izma? 

16 hours ago, sstavross said:

I also upgraded my DSM 6.2 running on N54L to 6.2.3 using loader 1.03b and the network card on the motherboard. Why did you use extra_izma? 

Hi,

You're right, I was a little bit confused with all the posts I read about drivers and different network cards. In fact I used the same loader but I upgraded the DSM to 6.2.3. 

22 hours ago, bnicolae said:

You're right, I was a little bit confused with all the posts I read about drivers and different network cards. In fact I used the same loader but I upgraded the DSM to 6.2.3.

it depends on dsm version drivers for 6.2.1 and 6.2.2 are incompatible to 6.2.0 (original on the loader) and 6.2.3

if you start off with 6.2.2 and a added extra.lzma (with special drivers) you would also need a different extra.lzma for 6.2.3, either the old one from the original loader (extract with 7zip) or a new one made for 6.2.3 (the "old" one from the original 1.03b loader is fine as the hardware is older and there would be no benefit in newer or mode drivers)

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/25/2021 at 10:19 PM, sstavross said:

Did you managed to make Virtual Machine Manager work? I cannot start the virtual machine and I understand that is a problem with the qemu driver for AMD.