XPEnology Community

Asrock Z390M Pro4

IT_Informant

Hello Xpenology Community,

I would like to get some clarification on whether or not Intel's I219-V NIC is compatible with any recent boot loaders (1.02b + ). I have the following hardware:

Mobo: Asrock Z390M Pro4

CPU: Intel Core i3-8100

Ram: G.SKILL Aegis 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2400 

Chasis: Fractal Design Focus G Mini

HDD: 4 x Crucial MX500 500GB SSD

HBA: LSI SAS9300-16i  (2 x ICY DOCK ToughArmor MB998IP-B - one populated with 8x1TB Seagate ST1000LM048 and the other with 8 x 2TB ST2000LM007)

NIC: Onboard Intel I219-V and a 10GB MELLANOX CONNECTX-2 MNPA19-XTR

Xpenology: All combinations of 3615, 3617 and 918+ with loaders 1.02b +

I see some mixed comments from the community, for example:

- This DSM Updates Reporting topic states that it works: 

- This one states that the driver is missing: 

From my testing (and pulling my hair out), it seems that that the Z390 with I219-V is not supported, but it would be great to get a confirmation. Also, if it's not supported, can someone provide with a specific PCIe model I can use to get DSM loaded? Once it's loaded, I can switch to the Mellanox card because I know that works (I have HP Z420 with DSM 6.1 which works fine).

If you need any additional info, just let me know. I hope this question helps other community members as the I219-V NIC is fairly prevalent on newer Intel boards.

Thanks!

Update:

After messing around with this all day I finally got it working.

Steps:

1. Boot with 1.03b 3617 loader

2. Swap out network cards until I found one that works (tried like 5 different cards but finally an HP NC364T worked). This is a 4-port 1GbE card with one port plugged in

3. Booted with my 4 SSDs so DSM would install there (unplugged my 16 spinning disks)

4. Success find my system. Installed  DSM_DS3617xs_23824 update 4. Reboot

5. Login and verify my SSDs are present and initialized. Shut down.

6. Swap out the HP NC364T for the 10Gb MELLANOX CONNECTX-2 MNPA19-XTR

7. Boot again with just the 4 SSDs. Found the system with the Mellanox card installed. Logged in. All good.

8. Configured static IP. Reboot

8. Static took successfully.  Enabled SSH and updated synoinfo.config to see my all 20 drives. Shut down

9. Connected up my 16 spinning disks with the SSDs. Booted and bingo. All 20 drives present

10. Created storage pools and volumes and now just waiting for "optimizing file system" to complete

Just fyi...the ICY DOCK hot swap cage is really nice. I have these stacked on top of each other in the 2 x 5.25" bays and they run really cool. The cage has 2 fans with a low and high speed switch. I keep it on high. You can check the temps in the pic. 

If anyone has any questions, let me know. Nice to have this finally up and running. 

allDrives.png

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎2‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 4:53 PM, IT_Informant said:

3. Booted with my 4 SSDs so DSM would install there (unplugged my 16 spinning disks) 

9. Connected up my 16 spinning disks with the SSDs. Booted and bingo. All 20 drives present

Just so you know, this strategy doesn't accomplish anything.  The instant you installed the 16 spinning disks, OS and swap partitions were created and DSM was replicated to each of them.

It is in fact possible to keep DSM I/O confined to your SSD's, but it is impossible to recover the space on the spinning disks.  If the former interests you, see here.

I would like to get some clarification on whether or not Intel's I219-V NIC is compatible with any recent boot loaders (1.02b +)

Unfortunately the answer is that it depends.  There are several reasons for this:

• Intel has up-revved the silicon for the I219-V PHY and has been unfortunately assigning new device ID's, which are incompatible with existing drivers
  • The various DSM versions (DSM 6.1.7, 6.2, 6.2.1) and platforms (DS3615, DS916, DS918) are not identical with regard to kernel drivers
  • The various DSM versions (DSM 6.1.7, 6.2, 6.2.1) and platforms (DS3615, DS916, DS918) are not identical with regard to kernel driver versions

The first bullet is the major issue.  Essentially, Intel is selling a new device but calls it the same name as the old one.  So depending on which one you have, it may work or not.  Installing the "latest" drivers via extra.lzma has been the usual way of combatting this, but with the latest loaders and versions, extra.lzma support is less robust, so your mileage may vary.

Without extra.lzma, the only way to tell for sure that your device will work is to get the device ID and check it against the supported device ID's for the DSM version and platform you want to use.  Links to these resources are also in my signature, or you can go to the Tutorials and Guides page and they are pinned there.

Edited by flyride