XPEnology Community

Trouble with install on HP Compaq 8300 SFF

b889

В 26.05.2019 в 23:05, jamkiki72 сказал:

Been there. Elite 8300 PITA of a system to set up Xpenology.
Someone on the forum sugested Hybrid partition usb working.
Found it, credit goes to "Mitja"
https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/12867-user-reported-compatibility-thread-for-dsm-62/page/2/?tab=comments#comment-107653

Use 1.03b ds3615 (maybe 3617 works, but 3615 is prefered).

You MUST create "HYBRID" partition bootable usb for HP Compaq Elite 8300.
Using it myself, update from 6.2.1 to 6.2.2 or clean install of latest 6.2.2 working perfect.

Allow me to make it easyer for you:

-----------------------------------------------------------

PART 1. preparation:

-Download: "gdisk-windows-1.0.4.zip" (for windows) or appropriate one for other systems from here
https://sourceforge.net/projects/gptfdisk/files/gptfdisk/1.0.4/gdisk-binaries/

-unzip content to folder (in the instructions bellow I unziped it in folder named "a" and copied that folder to root of a C disk)

-in the BIOS of the HP Compaq Elite 8300 turn OFF UEFI boot by going to boot menu and press (I think) "F5" while UEFI option is highlighted,
 this will disable PC to default to UEFI boot on restart or powering on after power off.

-in option ROM loading menu set all to legacy (storage, gpu, network)

-on the working pc create standard clean usb with 1.03b - ds3615xs as usual

leave it in the PC when done.

-go to computer manager/disk managment (right click "My Computer" or "This PC" select "Manage" then "disk managment")

- IMPORTANT - DATA LOSS POSIBLE IF YOU MAKE MISTAKE!!!
  note your USB key disk number ( Disk 0 is usually system partition). Please be carefull and double check!
  in the down listed commands the USB Key is "Disk 2" , copy/paste commands to lets say notepad, and CHANGE to match your situation
  (including for folder "a" in a root off a C disk if you didnt do it that way).

PART 2. creating HYBRID partition USB Key-
"gdisk-windows-1.0.4.zip" unziped to folder "a" in root of a C disk, USB KEY is "Disk 2" - !!!ALTER THIS TO MATCH YOUR SITUATION!!!

first command "cd c:\a"  - "a" represents folder named "a" and location in root (C:\) of a C disk - !!!ALTER THIS TO MATCH YOUR SITUATION!!!

second command: "gdisk64 2:" - nr.64 represents 64bit system is running on, if you use 32bit system use #gdisk32 2:"
 -nr.2 represents Disk 2 on the system - !!!ALTER THIS TO MATCH YOUR SITUATION!!!

-open command prompt as admin

List of commands as per situation above (64bit sys, gdisk in folder "a" root C, USB is "Disk 2") press ENTER after each one of course:--------------------------------------

cd c:\a

gdisk64 2:

r

o

h

1 2 3

n

"JUST PRESS ENTER - THIS SHOWING UP (DO NOT TYPE ANYTHING): Enter code (MBR partition #1):"

y

"JUST PRESS ENTER - THIS SHOWING UP (DO NOT TYPE ANYTHING): Enter code (MBR partition #2):"

n

"JUST PRESS ENTER - THIS SHOWING UP (DO NOT TYPE ANYTHING): Enter code (MBR partition #3):"

n

w

y

exit

--------------------------------------
Now window will probably pop up asking you to format the drive,
DO NOT DO IT!! Safely remove USB and put it in Elite 8300 and You are ready to go.

This way created USB is harder to reformat and use again.
Best way I found is to use free version of "MiniTool Partition Wizard" , first rebuild MBR whitin the
program then delete partitions one by one (apply betwen each operation).
I am sure you manage it and find best way if you need to reformat and reuse USB Key.

Sorry for my English, not native speaker....
Good Luck!!

Really useful!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 5/26/2019 at 8:05 PM, jamkiki72 said:

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/12867-user-reported-compatibility-thread-for-dsm-62/page/2/?tab=comments#comment-107653

Using it myself, update from 6.2.1 to 6.2.2 or clean install of latest 6.2.2 working perfect.

PART 1. preparation:

-Download: "gdisk-windows-1.0.4.zip" (for windows) or appropriate one for other systems from here

-unzip content to folder (in the instructions bellow I unziped it in folder named "a" and copied that folder to root of a C disk)

-in the BIOS of the HP Compaq Elite 8300 turn OFF UEFI boot by going to boot menu and press (I think) "F5" while UEFI option is highlighted,
 this will disable PC to default to UEFI boot on restart or powering on after power off.

-go to computer manager/disk managment (right click "My Computer" or "This PC" select "Manage" then "disk managment")

note your USB key disk number ( Disk 0 is usually system partition). Please be carefull and double check!
  in the down listed commands the USB Key is "Disk 2" , copy/paste commands to lets say notepad, and CHANGE to match your situation

"gdisk-windows-1.0.4.zip" unziped to folder "a" in root of a C disk, USB KEY is "Disk 2" - !!!ALTER THIS TO MATCH YOUR SITUATION!!!

first command "cd c:\a"  - "a" represents folder named "a" and location in root (C:\) of a C disk - !!!ALTER THIS TO MATCH YOUR SITUATION!!!

second command: "gdisk64 2:" - nr.64 represents 64bit system is running on, if you use 32bit system use #gdisk32 2:"
 -nr.2 represents Disk 2 on the system - !!!ALTER THIS TO MATCH YOUR SITUATION!!!

List of commands as per situation above (64bit sys, gdisk in folder "a" root C, USB is "Disk 2") press ENTER after each one of course:--------------------------------------

gdisk64 2:

r

o

h

1 2 3

n

"JUST PRESS ENTER - THIS SHOWING UP (DO NOT TYPE ANYTHING): Enter code (MBR partition #1):"

y

"JUST PRESS ENTER - THIS SHOWING UP (DO NOT TYPE ANYTHING): Enter code (MBR partition #2):"

n

"JUST PRESS ENTER - THIS SHOWING UP (DO NOT TYPE ANYTHING): Enter code (MBR partition #3):"

n

w

y

exit

DO NOT DO IT!! Safely remove USB and put it in Elite 8300 and You are ready to go.

Best way I found is to use free version of "MiniTool Partition Wizard" , first rebuild MBR whitin the
I am sure you manage it and find best way if you need to reformat and reuse USB Key.

Good Luck!!

Thank You for good information. I do all steps, the boot loader boot up but in LAN with Synology assistant I cant see the NAS. May be Yo have som solution. Best regards.

• 4 months later...
On 5/31/2020 at 9:41 PM, Fredis said:

Thank You for good information. I do all steps, the boot loader boot up but in LAN with Synology assistant I cant see the NAS. May be Yo have som solution. Best regards.

Same here, managed to boot the 1.02b and DSM 6.1.7 works just fine but with 1.03b the NAS is not found on the network.

Did somebody managed to get this work?

P.S.: Bios 3.08 and EUFI disabled.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm embarking on this journey too, an i7 8300's come into my possession and i'm just tried this and failed almost immediately.

originally tried a 1.04b flash drive from a working xpenology machine but got some weird graphical issue on boot, looked as if the 2 screens after boot merged into 1 and they were off to the right and slightly down, about a third off the screen. notingly I get a failure on trying to boot the drive on legacy so this was only visible using UEFI

after some troubleshooting I ended up resetting the bios using the below

CMOS Battery out > press CMOS clear button on motherboard > reinsert CMOS battery

now it looks fine graphicly (still only able to boot from UEFI) but I still don't see the machine on the network after boot

I also just tried resorting to installing OpenMediaVault temporarily but that flash drive also doesn't boot correctly.

Currently weighing up upgrading the bios to the latest (3.08 rev a from the looks of the HP support site) version but am unsure if this will fix my issues.

also some people are talking about a hidden USB Legacy boot option in the BIOS so will also give that a go

looks like I'm settling for DS3615xs 1.02b and DSM 6.1.7

no other combo's work, did try 6.2.3 upgrade from 6.1.7 with the same loader but that of course didn't work, booted and was on the network but it didn't recognize the installed DSM

Since the NIC is intel and the i7 3rd gen in there should be fine with the DS3615xs I'm a bit stuck on what could be going wrong, starting to look at what could be wrong with drivers

2 hours ago, chunkynutella said:

no other combo's work, did try 6.2.3 upgrade from 6.1.7 with the same loader but that of course didn't work, booted and was on the network but it didn't recognize the installed DSM

Since the NIC is intel and the i7 3rd gen in there should be fine with the DS3615xs I'm a bit stuck on what could be going wrong, starting to look at what could be wrong with drivers

HP Compaq 8300 SFF i7 is 3rd gen intel cpu, no 1.04b 918+ (see 1st link)

1.03b needs csm legacy mode AND booting from legacy usb device and in this case you will only see that usb device when its a mbr version

1.02b will work because you use it as uefi boot (the selected usb boot device makes the decision about the used mode, only when a non uefi device is used then csm mode kicks in)

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/13333-tutorialreference-6x-loaders-and-platforms/

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/20270-dsm-62-loader-with-mbr-partition-table/

• 4 months later...
Le 26/05/2019 à 19:05, jamkiki72 a dit :

PART 1. preparation:

gdisk64 2:

r

o

h

1 2 3

n

y

n

n

w

y

exit

Good Luck!!

Vraiment top ! pour (re)formater la clef usb: 

cmd en mode administrateur

diskpart 'entrer'

list disk 'entrer'

select disk 2(numéro de votre clef) 'entrer'

clean 'entrer'

vous pouvez réutiliser ensuite win32diskimage

merci

• 2 months later...

I have a thread here with info that is easier.

I have a HP8200SFF

I suggest you change your CMOS battery and update the Bios to 2.3x

Check your bios each time if needed and turn OFF uefi and turn on Legacy and set legacy to boot from USB first.

You MUST ensure your BIOS is setup properly or it won't work. When you boot from USB, if you don't go to Juns loader then your BIOS is not setup.

If Bios is set up then it means your USB key is not setup right (Hybrib MBR). Please see my thread which makes it MUCH easier to do.

• 8 months later...

Just adding to the knowledge base.

I have a Lenovo M72e Tiny (i5-3470, 2gb ddr3 ram, onboard networking) that I was having trouble where it would boot up to the "happy hacking" screen  but the network card wouldn't pick up an IP address and I couldn't find the NAS on my network.

After downgrading to Jun's 1.02b; it picks up the device properly.  Limited to 6.1.7 for the Firmware I believe but that should be fine.

I read in one of the other threads it might be possible ot go to 1.03b using bios => legacy only in the m72e but I'm not sure if that applies to the usff / tiny version that I'm using.

Either way, the device only supports 1 SATA 2.5" drive so I've got a 2tb notebook drive in there for now and it's verifying the hard disk as we speak.

IF any other users have anything else to recommend/add to this; please let me know

• 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...