XPEnology Community

Change serial number in a working DSM 6.2.1 system?

manfriday

Question

7 answers to this question

Check the tutorial for setting up an xpe boot drive. you can edit the s/n in the grub file as you would the vid/pid. you should be able to edit the grub file on the existing boot drive and on the next reboot it will load with the new s/n. I've run a few xpe boxes on at the same time with the same s/n and never has a problem. however note that I always use 'made up' s/n's that bear no relation to a real syno one (except the string format) as I dont use any features that need a real s/n.

I came upon this thread when I accidentally reused the same serial number when I created a test VM on my ESXi server to migrate from 1.02b to 1.03b bootloader. Unlike sbv3000's experience, one or the other XPE VM's crash after a while when both are running and I need to do a controlled experiment to see if the serial number is the root cause.

In any case, is there a quick way for me to change one of the serial numbers without going back to the original bootloader image file, finding and editing the grub.cfg and making the vmdk file?

Thanks.