XPEnology Community

Hyper Backup on 10 Gbit network

morow

Hi,

I have 2 network cards (1 GbE and 10GbE) in my Xpenology server and Synology NAS, I created a backup (Hyper Backup) using 1 GbE card (from Syno to XPeno) and it works fine, when I choose 10 GbE connection from the drop-down menu the backup wizard is not able to find the remote shares.

I tried that from Syno to Xpeno and from Xpeno to Syno, I'm getting the same error message.

Any help would be appreciated. 

0.thumb.PNG.a6b8b13f7fb6d2f5a5890a805f6e0d7f.PNG1.thumb.PNG.b41da84c8498a0d800fc2380b039e0f6.PNG2.thumb.PNG.63e0d32afacb397368d8304e76b5a473.PNGHi,3.thumb.PNG.287f04095ad448079dfe831effac0c17.PNG

Edited by morow

I have not choose the addresses for the 10Gb network, I wanted to try 10 Gigabit network and I don't have router. The rest of the network works fine just 10Gb connection between Synology and Xpenology not. This is my current setup (see the attached image). 

topology.PNG

Edited by morow

@morow Are you able to ping the different IP addresses on your 10GB interfaces from your computer?

If you did not choose the addresses yourself, they have been "randomly chosen" as self-assigned addresses, and you might be missing a route between them.

So, you better assign the addresses yourself, and you may use the format: 10.0.0.xyz to easier differentiate them from your 1 GB net.

(or maybe 192.168.10.xyz but then you have to exclude that range from the DHCP scope in your router)

On ‎2‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 12:19 PM, morow said:

I have not choose the addresses for the 10Gb network, I wanted to try 10 Gigabit network and I don't have router. The rest of the network works fine just 10Gb connection between Synology and Xpenology not. This is my current setup (see the attached image). 

topology.PNG

I agree with the advice to change addresses, but in the meantime, you have IP address pairs on the 10Gbe segments which require subnet masks of 255.255.0.0 in order for them to work.   I suspect at least one of the interfaces on your Syno to XPe network has a subnet of 255.255.255.0 and that is why it is not working.

Typically you want to limit an IP network to a class C scope (255.255.255.0 subnet mask), which means that the first three octets (i.e. 169.254.72.x) must be the same on every device on that network.  The reason for this is to limit the collision domain and broadcast traffic, which doesn't matter much for your use case, but is still a best practice.

Edited by flyride

17 hours ago, bearcat said:

@morow Are you able to ping the different IP addresses on your 10GB interfaces from your computer?

If you did not choose the addresses yourself, they have been "randomly chosen" as self-assigned addresses, and you might be missing a route between them.

So, you better assign the addresses yourself, and you may use the format: 10.0.0.xyz to easier differentiate them from your 1 GB net.

(or maybe 192.168.10.xyz but then you have to exclude that range from the DHCP scope in your router)

The router is offering DHCP on 192.168.0.x and in his diagram there is no connection from the 10Gbe interfaces to the router with DHCP, so there is no requirement to exclude the range.