XPEnology Community

System Partition Failed??

manfriday

Question

Attempting to shuffle drives around in order to get more capacity I decommissioned a 4TB hdd from a 1 drive pool (no data loss as there was no data in pool) and a second drive from a populated Vol Pool.

I pulled the 2 drives (and also removed a 2port SATA card). I replaced one of the drives with a higher capacity drives and powered system on. Took a long time to boot.

I was expecting, and received a Vol Degraded message, however I also received a System Partition Failed for a different drive. System is currently rebuilding with the newly added drive but I am not sure what effect the failed system partition is or will have. The drive itself appears to be okay but I wont know until I finish the 1st task. All the data on the Pool is still intact and nothing else appears impacted.

I'm not sure if I have  question but has anybody else had a system partition failure?

system: Baremetal ASrock J3455 DS918+ DSM 6.2.1-23824 Update 4.

5 answers to this question

The "System Partition" is the DSM generic term for the reserved space for DSM itself and its swap area.

This is actually manifested as an "n-disk RAID 1" across all disks in your system.  In other words, you have a mirrored array across all disks for the DSM partition and another one for the swap partition.

Anytime something happens to break either array, DSM will report that the "System Partition" has failed, and will immediately remirror it.  As long as you have one array member that is intact, it will rebuild successfully.  And if you don't have at least one array member intact, DSM will already have irrevocably crashed.

So it's a bit of a noise about nothing.  Just click the button to repair, or let it fix itself.  Your data is not at risk, but make sure the error is corrected prior to replacing another drive.

1 hour ago, flyride said:

The "System Partition" is the DSM generic term for the reserved space for DSM itself and its swap area.

This is actually manifested as an "n-disk RAID 1" across all disks in your system.  In other words, you have a mirrored array across all disks for the DSM partition and another one for the swap partition.

Anytime something happens to break either array, DSM will report that the "System Partition" has failed, and will immediately remirror it.  As long as you have one array member that is intact, it will rebuild successfully.  And if you don't have at least one array member intact, DSM will already have irrevocably crashed.

So it's a bit of a noise about nothing.  Just click the button to repair, or let it fix itself.  Your data is not at risk, but make sure the error is corrected prior to replacing another drive.

Thanks for the explanation and quick response. I have a few hours to go with current rebuild before I can rework the "failed partition"

Cheers

MF