XPEnology Community

ESXI 6.5 U2 - make wi-fi/bluetooth adapter available for Synology?

munchgeil1

How can I make wi-fi/bluetooth adapter available for synology?...

I have ESXI 6.5 U2 installed bare-metal on Motherboard with:

• Intel Gigabit Ethernet ( Intel® I219V)
  • Integrated 2x2 802.11ac Wi-Fi with MU-MIMO support.

In ESXI 6.5, I can see Physical adapter " vmnic0 , 1000 Mbps, Full"

In VM setting, I added: E1000e

If I want to add new Network Adapter, I have following adapter types:

• E1000
  • E1000e
  • VMXNET 3

In Synology, I can connect to internet without problem, but wi-fi and bluetooth are not available.

Why is that? Is problem:

1. BIOS? (I have latest BIOS setting, but not sure if I ever explicitly enabled wifi/bluetooth)
  2. ESXI 6.5 U2
  3. Jun's Loader
  4. Synology itself?

Thank you!

15 minutes ago, munchgeil1 said:

How can I make wi-fi/bluetooth adapter available for synology?...

I have ESXI 6.5 U2 installed bare-metal on Motherboard with:

• Intel Gigabit Ethernet ( Intel® I219V)
  • Integrated 2x2 802.11ac Wi-Fi with MU-MIMO support.

These are the physical devices in your computer.  The I219V is currently connected to ESXi.  I suspect that ESXi is totally ignoring your WiFi card.

15 minutes ago, munchgeil1 said:

In ESXI 6.5, I can see Physical adapter " vmnic0 , 1000 Mbps, Full"

In VM setting, I added: E1000e

If I want to add new Network Adapter, I have following adapter types:

• E1000
  • E1000e
  • VMXNET 3

These are not physical adapters, this is a virtual network card that ESXi is presenting to your VM.  Basically, it's emulating an Intel 82576 card that is compatible with the e1000e driver in DSM.  ESXi maps requests to the vNIC out to the physical I219V NIC automatically.

You state that you want DSM to be able to access your WiFi card.  The best chances for doing that will be to "pass through" the WiFi card into your VM.  This is done by identifying the card in ESXi, setting it up for passthrough, then adding the passthrough device to your VM.  There isn't an exact step-by-step plan on how to do this (it's dependent upon whether the device is recognized by ESXi), so you will need to do some research.

Additionally, DSM will need to have a native, internal driver that supports your WiFi card.  So you may want to provide some information about the WiFi card (manufacturer, model, etc) to see if it is supported prior to going to all this trouble.

I'm not sure what Bluetooth support exists in DSM at all, but maybe you know of something I don't.  Just out of curiosity, why do you need WiFi and Bluetooth, since you already have connectivity via vNIC?

Bluetooth support do exist in DSM, but AFAIK only for USB dongles, just as DSM supports many USB based WiFi cards.

I have yet to try an internally mounted WiFi card, is there any drivers "out of the box" for that and support in DSM?

edit: in regards to WiFi, I see Synology are referring to some changes in DSM 6.2.2

Edited by bearcat