XPEnology Community

[SOLVED] NIC Support & Failover

BlackHawk1942

Hi there...

First of all i want to say thank you to the community for such a great work. I am new around here and red a lot of

topics of the last few days but there are still question. I tried to search my questions but especially "failover"

was pointing to the french part of here and ... I mean ... It´s french :mrgreen: I´m lost even with translator -

most of the time. :wink:

However, back to topic. After a few days of reading and surfing around I grabbed my GA-Z77N-WIFI and wanted to

setup a NAS. The MB has two NICs (RealTek 8111). I red that the latest 4.3 by Trantor supports this kind of chip,

but is the failover working (correctly)? I also want to try to install DSM 5.0 with Gnoboot. If I take a closer

look at the driver table (http://www.gnoboot.me/p/blog-page_6.html) there is no Support for the RealTek

8111. Is it handled by one of these:

RealTek RTL-8139C+ series 10/100 PCI Ethernet (8139cp)

RealTek RTL-8139 Fast Ethernet (8139too)

RealTek RTL-8169 Gigabit Ethernet (r8169)

?

I checked the RealTek HP and noticed that the driver for the 8168 is equal tp the 8111 but 8168 != 8169... Is it

working on Gnoboot? There is a similar question in the german corner but still no answer.

Thanks for any effort :wink:

BlackHawk

Edited by Guest

Ah, ok... If you are using the 8168 driver, why don´t you list it? I can find only the "RealTek RTL-8169 Gigabit Ethernet (r8169)". The driver for this NIC is a bit diffrent because usually it is connected via PCIe while the 8168 is connected via PCI. Does this may make a difference?

But if you are using this kind of driver, I would give it a try :mrgreen: What about the failover? Are both NICs recognized by the System?

Greetz

Ah, ok... If you are using the 8168 driver, why don´t you list it? I can find only the "RealTek RTL-8169 Gigabit Ethernet (r8169)". The driver for this NIC is a bit diffrent because usually it is connected via PCIe while the 8168 is connected via PCI. Does this may make a difference?

But if you are using this kind of driver, I would give it a try :mrgreen: What about the failover? Are both NICs recognized by the System?

Greetz

Updated the driver page in my blog. I don't think there's driver difference when using PCI vs PCIe.

DSM is using Linux network bonding for NIC failover. Try it yourself or send me a network card for me to test;)