XPEnology Community

Synology Assistant finds DiskStation with wrong IP

dochammoc

I've had starting over a few times, this time using the Xpenology Tool V1.4.2 

I have a SuperMicro server XDRi-F with one Xeon CPU and second CPU vacant.  I have Arcea 1680xi-8 adapter connected to a Sans Digital enclosure with 16 2T drives in pass through mode.

I'm using Jun's 1.02b loader (without MBR?) for DS3615XS.  I followed instructions exactly, entering vid, pid, s/n, mac and writing modified img to usb.  It boots fine but no matter what I do I can not connect using web to complete install.

I know what the IP is .. I've set it to static in BIOS and can ping it fine.  But I can't connect using ip http:\\192.168.11.21:5000 or locate using find.synology.com.  The Synology Assistant does locate it and has correct MAC and S/N .. but an impossible IP that is not on my network (169.254.224.201 DHCP).  When I ping that IP I get a General failure which is different than the usual "host unreachable".

Seems like there should be a simple answer ...  please help and thanks in advance.

You can’t set an ip for DSM via BIOS. That would only be valid for a NetBoot which DSM won’t use. 

You must have a DHCP server on the network to assign an initial ip.  After DSM is installed you can set static, whatever you want. 

Addresses on the 169 network usually indicate a default IP set when a DHCP server is not available. You would need to set up a compatible network and ip on your PC to successfully connect to it. 

Okay .. thanks.  Makes a lot of sense.  I switched back to default DHCP in BIOS  ... AND switch LAN ports.  I only have two and figured both were Intel .. maybe but it makes a difference!  Now I'm getting "No hard disks" on the DSM browser based setup.  Might be because of my enclosure or adapter setup.  *Sigh*.