XPEnology Community

Tutorial: HP MicroServer GEN8 Upgrade From DSM 6.1.7-15284 Update 3 To DSM 6.2-23739 Update 2

Vodka2014

Hi All

After hours or reading, fixing & help from the community via posts and DM's I have finally got a stable system. Thanks to everyone that helped me :)Really Appreciate It :). This is what was needed or what I have done to get this to work.

1. First check out this Table to make sure you using the correct Loader: In my case I used DS3615xs v1.03b

2. Create a new USB with this Loader v1.03b DS3615xs and change the VID, PID, MAC, S/N - See this post if you not sure where to change it. You can ignore the Older Versions listed of the DSM's.

3. Backup you Configs of your NAS. This is going to Settings, Update & Restore, Configuration Backup and then click on Backup Configurations

DSM-Backup.PNG.1b03ab35eeb57d1f9e8b97100e4476aa.PNG

4. Shutdown your NAS

5. Now Either use the new USB that you have made or Overwrite the one you have.

NOTE: Backup the old Grub.cfg File as you might need it again if something goes wrong since you have your old settings listed there.

6. Add the new USB, Power Up and the launch Synology Assistant. If you do not have this you can download it from the Synology Site.

7. Once Installed you Search for your NAS and it should state Migrate.

8. Click Migrate and you can Decide if you want to Migrate Or Clean Install

9. Click Next and now when it asks for the DSM select the Manually Install Option and download the .pat file from here - https://archive.synology.com/download/DSM/release/6.2/23739/

10. Let the NAS do its thing and after a while you should see the Logon Page.

NOTE: If you log on and you get Loading in Chrome and nothing else OR in I.E logs on and after 30 Seconds it crashes (Everything Stops, LAN, Services etc...) Reboot your NAS and follow the below.

1. SSH via Putty

2. Log On with your Admin/Root Account or User Account

3. If User Account then type sudo -i and enter the Admin/Root Password

4. Type ls -la /

5. You should see a folder called .xpenoboot

6. sudo rm -rf /.xpenoboot

7. Type ls -la / to check it is removed

8. Reboot your NAS by typing reboot

Back to setup:

11. You now should be able to Log On and complete the update to DSM 6.2-23739 Update 2

12. If you do not see this you can do it via SSH as well.

A. SSH via Putty

B. Log On with your Admin/Root Account or User Account

C. If User Account then type sudo -i and enter the Admin/Root Password

D. cd \@autoupdate/
E. ls -l (Should Be TOTAL: 0)

The Below Downloads DSM 6.2-23739 Update 2: If You Using DS3617xs Then Change This - !!!! DO NOT RUN THIS BEFORE CHECKING !!!!

F. In Putty Copy & Paste - wget https://archive.synology.com/download/DSM/criticalupdate/update_pack/23739-2/synology_bromolow_3615xs.pat

--2019-01-18 20:33:31--  https://archive.synology.com/download/DSM/criticalupdate/update_pack/23739-2/synology_bromolow_3615xs.pat
Resolving archive.synology.com... 216.176.185.220
Connecting to archive.synology.com|216.176.185.220|:443... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
Length: 20963899 (20M) [application/octet-stream]
Saving to: 'synology_bromolow_3615xs.pat'

synology_bromolow_3615xs.pat                                100%[===================================================================================================================================>]  19.99M   347KB/s    in 36s

2019-01-18 20:34:08 (570 KB/s) - 'synology_bromolow_3615xs.pat' saved [20963899/20963899]

G. Now Check that it is all OK - synoupgrade --check-pat /volume1/@autoupdate/synology_bromolow_3615xs.pat (Change The Volume To Your One Can Be 1, 2, 3, 4, etc...)

UPGRADE_CHECK_PAT
Patch type is CU
Check patch successfully

H. Install The Update -  synoupgrade --patch /volume1/@autoupdate/synology_bromolow_3615xs.pat (Change The Volume To Your One Can Be 1, 2, 3, 4, etc...)

UPGRADE_PATCH
Start DSM update...

I. You should see the below after a few minutes. Let you NAS reboot and once up and running it will be on DSM 6.2-23739 Update 2

Broadcast message from root@NASNAME
        (unknown) at 20:36 ...

The system is going down for reboot NOW!

13. Log On to your NAS and check all your settings, App etc.. One thing I noticed there was 2 Tasks that i needed to disabled. This is under Settings, Task Scheduler

DSM-Tasks.thumb.PNG.6a585ad8b7829abc34a53cc33ffdd8bf.PNG

I hope this works for everyone. Leave your comments / updates below if anything needs to get changed

Thanks

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

Thanks for the tutorial. Just a few changes would make it clearer:

5. Now Either use the new USB that you have made or Overwrite the one you have. in point 2.

NOTE: Backup the old Grub.cfg file (integrated in the edited synoboot.img file) as you might need it again if something goes wrong since you have your old settings listed there.

6. Add Insert the new USB into a front HP Microserver USB-port, (make sure the BIOS boots your USB first) Power Up and the launch Synology Assistant on your PC. If you do not have this you can download it from the Synology Site.

7. Once Installed you Search for your NAS and Synology Assistant should state 'Migrate'.

8. Click the common NIC of the server and 'Connect' per Browser. Migrate and With 'Install' you can decide if you want to Migrate Or Clean Install.

Edited by Ottawa

Hi. I have a Hp microserver gen8 running fine with dsm 6.1.7-15284. 

From my understanding reading this forum, 6.2-23739 Update 2 works with onboard lan, but newer updates need a dedicated intel NIC, right?

If I decide to update my server should I update first to 6.2-23739 Update 2  and then buy a intel nic and upgrade further, or can I update right from 6.1.7 to 6.2.2-24922 Update 4?

Le 25/12/2019 à 19:29, Napalmd a dit :

Hi. I have a Hp microserver gen8 running fine with dsm 6.1.7-15284. 

From my understanding reading this forum, 6.2-23739 Update 2 works with onboard lan, but newer updates need a dedicated intel NIC, right?

If I decide to update my server should I update first to 6.2-23739 Update 2  and then buy a intel nic and upgrade further, or can I update right from 6.1.7 to 6.2.2-24922 Update 4?

Work now with integrated NIC using driver extension published two weeks ago, I run Gen8 with 6.2-24922 Update 4, but I performed a fresh install, no idea if update from previous release will work (see specific way to use driver extension)

Edited by satdream

• 4 months later...

Hi,

followed this tutorial and got my system up to 6.2-23739 Update 2. Everything went ok (I did not have to remove via ssh the xpenoboot folder)

Then from within DSM I updated the system to the latest shown 6.2.2-24922. When the system restarted had disk activity for at least 20 minutes if not 30, but could not connect to my machine. I created a USB pendrive with the instructions found on this post

I did not have to do any updating (step 8 ) the system was already updated and I just repaired a few packages and updated the rest. So far so good.

Finally my 8TB Ironwolf Pros are showing up correctly (from 6.1.7 up until now they were not recocgnised as Ironwolfs)

Big thanks for everyones help here

Edited by Ionlab

54 minutes ago, Ionlab said:

Also applied DSM 6.2.2-Update 6 manually from https://archive.synology.com/download/DSM/criticalupdate/update_pack/24922-6/synology_bromolow_3615xs.pat

Had to restart but no problems.

and if you install the new update 6.2.3 you will have to revert the extra.lzma to the old one you just replaced - just in case dsm gui offers you to update in a few day's

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/28321-driver-extension-jun-104b-for-dsm623-for-918/

33 minutes ago, IG-88 said:

and if you install the new update 6.2.3 you will have to revert the extra.lzma to the old one you just replaced - just in case dsm gui offers you to update in a few day's

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/28321-driver-extension-jun-104b-for-dsm623-for-918/

Right now I am using the jun 1.03b for 3615xs and the extra.lzma for loader 1.03b_mod ds3615 DSM 6.2.2 v0.5_test

If I update (manually) to the 6.2.3-25426 I should use the "original" extra.lzma that came with jun's loader 1.03b?

Or should I switch loaders to use the 1.04 918+?

Will my onboard NIC work then, cause I don't have an Intel one?

2 hours ago, Ionlab said:

f I update (manually) to the 6.2.3-25426 I should use the "original" extra.lzma that came with jun's loader 1.03b?

yes

Or should I switch loaders to use the 1.04 918+?

gen8 is intel cpu gen2 or 3, 918+ needs at least 4th gen intel

so not worth a try as the loader will not boot

Will my onboard NIC work then, cause I don't have an Intel one?

yes, it did work with 6.2.0/6.2.1 so it will be the same with 6.2.3 (jun prorived a broadcom driver with the loader)

Edited by IG-88

Manually updated to DSM 6.2.3-25426 (latest).

The pat file for 3615xs is https://archive.synology.com/download/DSM/release/6.2.3/25426/DSM_DS3615xs_25426.pat

After the reboot at POST I shutdown the computer and created a NEW pendrive using the original Jun's 1.03mod files (the only file I kept was the grub.cfg that contained my pendrives VID/PID and my systems MAC addresses and Serial No).

I mounted the second (30MB) partition and repaced the rd and zimage files with the ones I extracted from the 25426 pat file.

I rebooted and using synology assistant I used the Web installer to migrate to 25426. After a reboot everything came up and running.

Only thing that does not work is HP-AMS

1 hour ago, Ionlab said:

After the reboot at POST I shutdown the computer and created a NEW pendrive using the original Jun's 1.03mod files (the only file I kept was the grub.cfg that contained my pendrives VID/PID and my systems MAC addresses and Serial No).

I mounted the second (30MB) partition and repaced the rd and zimage files with the ones I extracted from the 25426 pat file.

I rebooted and using synology assistant I used the Web installer to migrate to 25426. After a reboot everything came up and running.

you could have just copied the extra.lzma to the 2nd partition before starting the update to 6.2.3 in the dsm gui, in the process of preparing the update before reboot it will copy the new kernel files to usb and restart, when placing the files before the update (they are only used when booting) you would have had a clean flawless update process

On 5/16/2020 at 8:30 PM, IG-88 said:

you could have just copied the extra.lzma to the 2nd partition before starting the update to 6.2.3 in the dsm gui, in the process of preparing the update before reboot it will copy the new kernel files to usb and restart, when placing the files before the update (they are only used when booting) you would have had a clean flawless update process

Sorry but now I am really confused. When I am on version 6.1.7 can I just download the latest 6.2.3 and install it from the gui, then shutdown and upgrade to the pendrive using the original Jun's 1.03mod files? Do I still need to copy "DS3615: extra.lzma for loader 1.03b_mod ds3615 DSM 6.2.2 v0.5_test" to the second partition or was that just for 6.2?

Stephan

Edited by stephan1827

43 minutes ago, stephan1827 said:

When I am on version 6.1.7 can I just download the latest 6.2.3 and install it from the gui, then shutdown and upgrade to the pendrive using the original Jun's 1.03mod files?

yes, if you only used jun's drivers set on 6.1.7

43 minutes ago, stephan1827 said:

Do I still need to copy "DS3615: extra.lzma for loader 1.03b_mod ds3615 DSM 6.2.2 v0.5_test" to the second partition or was that just for 6.2?

as the name implies its just for 6.2.2

as long as we dont have a custom kernel we are bound to the original kernel of dsm and when synology decides to change things a new version we need to follow that

and with 6.2.3 synology decided its back to what we had in 6.2.0/6.2.1

Edited by IG-88

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for this tutorial - i've followed it but haven't been able to upgrade from 6.1.7 to 6.2 on my HP Gen8. Even after copying across the extra files to the second partition (zlmage, rd.gz etc) i get a PXE-E53 no boot file error when booting up the Gen8 

• 7 months later...
On 5/16/2020 at 7:19 PM, Ionlab said:

I used the Hp-ams spk package that is available at the https://spk.4sag.ru/

You can either add this repo to you package sources or get it from there and manually install it https://spk.4sag.ru/packages/hp_ams-5.2_2.5.0-1.spk

Hp-ams is now working!

Hi,

I am a complete noob to this, so your help and patience would be appreciated.

I installed the above package and ran it but nothing happened. Where do I find the AMS information please.

This web site is in Russia. How do we know that these packages are safe -- they are unsigned. Isn't this a rather large security risk?

Best regards,

Marco