XPEnology Community

Best low cost MB for 6.2

Stefanos

@Stefanos Not sure if the AMD subforum is the best choice for your Q, as the mb you refer to is using an Intel CPU ;-)

According to this post that mainboard is at least compatible with DSM 6.2.1, using 1.04 918+, even if as you mentioned transcoding might be a problem. 

But with that said, there is a lot of other "potholes on the road" to have HW accelerated transcoding working OK.

If you "scan" the reported updates you may get an idea of what mainboards that is most likely to work with DSM 6.2.1 updateX and use that as a base.

@bearcat thank you for the fast response. The motherboard I was referencing to is just an example because it’s cited many times in this category. 

‘I’ve started looking at the reported updates but most of the tested configuration are heavy duty server configuration, and i’m Just looking for a fast and reliable MB to use for hoe video streaming. So the cpu could be whatever is better for dms 6.2.1+. Have you any suggestion?

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

i receive this board today, it come with 1.40 bios impossible to install dsm 6.2.1 i find on network when i select .pat to install dsm i have issu error code 35.

C state is disabled, cms is enable

i make update to bios 1.80 same issu

anyone have idea i have few days to return it

• 1 year later...

My setup below:

1).  HP Proliant MicroServer N36L | 8Gb | DSM 6.2.3-25426 Update 2 |  2x3TB - RAID 0 | 1x3TB - JOB 
2).  i5-650| ASUS P7P55-D | 8GB | DSM 6.2.3-25426 Update 2 | 6x3TB - RAID 5 + 2 x 250SSD cache

It serve me quite happy and they are very cheap.  
Thank you Xpenology!! 

But I'm looking for a faster NAS for indexing 200K photos... still struggling what to buy next in my 3rd NAS.
Welcome suggestions

5 hours ago, diyhchan said:

But I'm looking for a faster NAS for indexing 200K photos... still struggling what to buy next in my 3rd NAS.
Welcome suggestions

i9300 for 918+ and a board that suits you needs like having at least two pcie 3.0 4x slot for extending with a 10G nic and addtional ahci controller like jmb585 based

a m.2 nvme cache is also possible but you need two m.2 slots for read/write, you can add one to 4 m.2's by pcie card but that will need a free slot with 4,8 or 16 lanes)

for the start 6xsata onboard might be enough

i use a  Gigabyte B365M-HD3 but if you can go full atx with your build is adds more flexibility like more pcie slots and 2 x m.2 onboard

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
On 11/30/2020 at 1:04 AM, IG-88 said:

i9300 for 918+ and a board that suits you needs like having at least two pcie 3.0 4x slot for extending with a 10G nic and addtional ahci controller like jmb585 based

a m.2 nvme cache is also possible but you need two m.2 slots for read/write, you can add one to 4 m.2's by pcie card but that will need a free slot with 4,8 or 16 lanes)

for the start 6xsata onboard might be enough

i use a  Gigabyte B365M-HD3 but if you can go full atx with your build is adds more flexibility like more pcie slots and 2 x m.2 onboard

Thanks @IG-88.   It has been a year and I grow more XPE-server at home.  I am now, own N36L / N40L and one X9SCL-Xeon E3-1220v2 | 32GB as my main server.   I wonder, in terms of performance,  how would you setup for the hardware & folder share ?  As I tried various setup and I still couldn't find my path before I purchase / setup a new combo...

1. 2 x SSD cache + 4 X 3TB - raid5 in LSI-9220-8i IT mode [ all shares inside this big-vol ]
  2. 4 x 1TB SSD in raid 0 + 1 x 120GB SSD for applications , moment databases...
  3. I did tried on a Ryzen 3600 ITX and put photo+moment storage in a NVME, and it is super fast, but too hot !! .. this combo always shutdown..
  4. I did tried 2 x 3TB in raid0 + R/W 2x NVME 250GB as cache but in terms of performance, it is not faster than I put moments/photo folder inside a NVME.  

What is the best practise to setup these combo ?
I mainly use 3 mobile apps: 

• view moments by ipad / mobile
  • backup photos / video from iphone
  • DS files to search & check various folder structure ( I have about 4TB very important data )

Thanks !