XPEnology Community

External Devices -> ESATA drive and backing up..

cakeman

Hi all..

Running Juns 1.02b loader with 3615xs DSM (and ig88s extra-lzma) on an MSI 790FX-GD70 AMD Chipset board..

I want to be able to back the NAS up onto an external drive via my BlacX esata cradle.

Ive done some googling and searching the forum, and havent hit upon what Im missing yet..

When I connect my BlacX via esata, it doesnt show up in External Devices.. Im assuming Ive got to make some config changes to make it show?

thanks,

cakes..

Thanks for your reply bearcat..

Ive had a look through the BIOS.. (AMI bios..) and the only option that specifically mentions esata is under Integrated Peripherals.. "E-SATA/HW RAID Controller" which is currently set to Disabled.

Under On-Chip ATA Devices Ive got

PCI IDE BusMaster (enabled)

On-Chip SATA Controller (enabled)

RAID Mode (AHCI)

Im trying to google for more info on the ESATA/HW RAID controller option now.. as the bios doesnt say anything about it in the info box.

thanks,

cakes..

The dock Im trying to use connects great via USB.. unfortunately the motherboard only has USB2.0 ports.. so backing up via USB is going to suuuuck.

Found a post on the Synology forum about a guy with a BlacX who mentioned his NAS wouldnt see the drive via esata, then he formatted the drive EXT4 and tried again and it showed.. (the drive Im trying is just a random I pulled off the shelf, so its probably NTFS, figured the Storage Manager would let me format it when it found it..)

So now Im tryin that..

---

that did not help.

Edited by cakeman

• 2 weeks later...

I am also wondering about this, I have an EXT4 formatted drive in a cradle with backups from previous Diskstation, but neither can mount USB or E-SATA.

My only guess is it has something to do with the grub.cfg arguments, because when I go to Storage and try to add another volume, there my E-Sata shows up as Internal.

6 hours ago, mr9v9 said:

I am also wondering about this, I have an EXT4 formatted drive in a cradle with backups from previous Diskstation, but neither can mount USB or E-SATA.

My only guess is it has something to do with the grub.cfg arguments, because when I go to Storage and try to add another volume, there my E-Sata shows up as Internal.

Have a look at the synoinfo.conf file for the esataportcfg/usbportcfg/internalportcfg settings and you might need to edit them to match your drive/controller configuration so that the e-sata is seen as an external port. If set 'correctly' it might make DSM automatically mount a drive when plugged in

7 hours ago, sbv3000 said:

Have a look at the synoinfo.conf file for the esataportcfg/usbportcfg/internalportcfg settings and you might need to edit them to match your drive/controller configuration so that the e-sata is seen as an external port. If set 'correctly' it might make DSM automatically mount a drive when plugged in

Thank you for the reply!

I was going to give that a try, is there an easy way to filter out which devices are which? I assume is has to be in binary?

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/23/2019 at 3:47 PM, mr9v9 said:

Thank you for the reply!

I was going to give that a try, is there an easy way to filter out which devices are which? I assume is has to be in binary?

There are a lot of threads where people have edited their synoinfo file to match the drive layout/internal/external. It will be trial and error for you depending on your hardware/controller setup. I think I would do some tests by setting internal to say 16 drives (0xffff) and the usb and sata to none (0x0000), then play with the binary/hex conversion until you get a match. Obviously do all tests with a spare hdd. For example if you set to 16 internal and your esata appears as say drive 15, adjust internal to 0x02fff esata to 0x10000 (if my conversion is right)

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, sbv3000 said:

There are a lot of threads where people have edited their synoinfo file to match the drive layout/internal/external. It will be trial and error for you depending on your hardware/controller setup. I think I would do some tests by setting internal to say 16 drives (0xffff) and the usb and sata to none (0x0000), then play with the binary/hex conversion until you get a match. Obviously do all tests with a spare hdd. For example if you set to 16 internal and your esata appears as say drive 15, adjust internal to 0x02fff esata to 0x10000 (if my conversion is right)

Thanks for the insight! I will try it this weekend and post some results.