XPEnology Community

HP Microservers above 6.2

blue max

I've done a ton of research and from my findings, the four port HP NC364T also uses the 82571 chipset like the 360T, so should also work. I've got a couple coming to test and will update the thread. It's so good not to see the system update nag!

Edited by blue max

And the four port version (HP NC364T) confirmed as working under DSM3615xs. Can't get 3617 to work at all. You do need the shorter bracket if you're looking to buy either one.

I've also got an Intel version of the two port one coming (with longer bracket sadly). Intel EXPI9402PT. Just to see if this gives any benefit for my main server. 

Bit of a minefield, but hope that helps microserver owners. Although, who can say how long this will 'fix' the updates for.

Thank you for opening this topic, it's really helping.

I'm currently on 6.2 update, still afraid to update to 6.2.1.

My intel NIC device ID is 10D3 so it should be recognized but what about the ISCI drives ? Is it going to work through Virtualbox?

Here is a screenshot of the drives attached to the VM

image.thumb.png.ebd5be9c2bdab0550d9f1e2f94cf2094.png

@jcdln Since you are running your NAS as a VM

your potential problems might be more related to your VMhost and its drivers, not DSM it self.

Is your vNAS using a passthrough nic, or a virtual nic?

Somehow I was reading iSCSI drives, but I think you are referring to your Virtual drives, connected to a Virtual diskcontroller?

@bearcat I think it's a virtual NIC as it doesn't match the host NIC on the terminal below :

image.png

For the iSCSI drives I used the VBoxManage -rawdisk command to dedicate them to the guest but I don't think it's a passthrough since they are not displaying S.M.A.R.T information in DSM UI.

You're right, the guest iSCSI controller is Lsilogic so I guess it's also virtual. I'm still skeptical as I read replies from VM users unable to mount their DSM guest volume after upgrading to 6.2.1. 😧

Edited by jcdln

• 3 weeks later...

Not wanting to labour the topic, as I think the info in this thread tells me I "should" be ok to upgrade 6.2.1. But I wouldn't mind a quick opinion on the following please:

I have a Microserver Gen8 with an Intel Xeon E3-1265L V2 fitted, along with 16GB RAM. I've put in a 4 port Intel I350-T4 Ethernet adapter and disabled the on-board NIC's. I use the 1.03b for DSM3615xs loader on bare metal mounted on the internal USB port and currently I am on the 6.2 release. I have no other unusual hardware.

I was previously using DSM3617xs and when I previously tried to upgrade to 6.2.1 I had the same issue as others on this thread with an unresponsive server. Nothing worked until I rebuilt on DSM3615xs.

As I am on now on 1.03b for DSM3615xs, I should be ok to go to 6.2.1 with this hardware? I know there are no guarantees but I'm interested in your opinions.

Thanks

Edited by Cobblerkid
added bare metal for reference

21 minutes ago, Cobblerkid said:

Not wanting to labour the topic, as I think the info in this thread tells me I "should" be ok to upgrade 6.2.1. But I wouldn't mind a quick opinion on the following please:

I have a Microserver Gen8 with an Intel Xeon E3-1265L V2 fitted, along with 16GB RAM. I've put in a 4 port Intel I350-T4 Ethernet adapter and disabled the on-board NIC's. I use the 1.03b for DSM3615xs loader on bare metal mounted on the internal USB port and currently I am on the 6.2 release. I have no other unusual hardware.

I was previously using DSM3617xs and when I previously tried to upgrade to 6.2.1 I had the same issue as others on this thread with an unresponsive server. Nothing worked until I rebuilt on DSM3615xs.

As I am on now on 1.03b for DSM3615xs, I should be ok to go to 6.2.1 with this hardware? I know there are no guarantees but I'm interested in your opinions.

Thanks

I have the identical hardware EXCEPT for the ethernet card. I can personally vouch for the NC360L and NC364L on the (Gen7) N54L's and an Intel EXPI9402P on the Gen8. I believe they all use the same driver.

I would make a new usb stick and insert a spare hard drive (if you have one) and see if that works. If it doesn't, you can always swop your system back.

Failing that, have a look back over the thread and see what driver is being used. If it tallies with mine or is on the confirmed list, you're probably ok.

Sorry I can't be more help, but I don't have that network card.

• 2 months later...

Dear all, I have the same setup as @Cobblerkid more or less. Did I understand it correctly that in general I can do it the following way:

- shutdown the machine

- built in the new Ethernet Adapter

- disable the onboard NIC in Bios

- boot up the machine to DSM again

- perform the update to 6.2.1

Or did I miss anything here? What was not fully clear to me so far is whether it is also mandatory to make changes in the grub.cfg on the USB stick?

Thanks a lot for your help.

• 1 month later...

Just for logging: HP N54L could be upgraded to DSM 6.2.2-24922 with JUN'S LOADER v1.03b - DS3615xs

As several times mentioned above, you need to add an additional NIC, as the internal NIC will not work after DSM 6.2-23739 Update 2.

I added a 2 port HP NC360T and deactivated the internal NIC in the BIOS. Update ran without problems directly via DSM.

• 1 month later...
On 1/9/2019 at 2:26 PM, WiteWulf said:

Failing that, it seems my other option is to backup all my data (9TB!!!), rebuild the server as an ESXi host, and go virtual...

I've put up with 6.2.1 until Now.... But as there is still no Solution seems like going VM is the only option.

I Really don't want to put in a Network Card on the PCI-E Slot....

Is there a way to Migrate into ESXI by directly passing trough the Harddrives without the need for wiping the existing Raid5 ?

• 4 months later...

Hey guys

@flyrideyou seem like an expert here.. Also @WiteWulf

Could you, or anyone else, please help in my question..

I have a HP Microserver gen 8 with the intel E3-1265L v2 CPU. Running Xpenology on ESXi 6.5 U3 - HP custom, at the moment.
Im looking to upgrade it a little so I can run latest DSM version. First of all Im going to buy a HP H222 HBA card so I can passthrough my HDDs to xpenology to get smart data and temps etc..
2nd Im looking to buy a network card as I understand it it is required and Ive read either the HP 360T or HP 364T (Guess not the 365T?) card. If I do this and disable the onboard NIC I should be able to have the latest DSM version right?

Now question is, I saw in the other post that hardware transcoding is only possible with 918+ ? But I see everyone is using 3615xs on this machine? Why not 918+? Is that not working even if you buy the correct network card?

Also mini question, this machine requires half height PCI cards right?

thanks!

27 minutes ago, Jamzor said:

I have a HP Microserver gen 8 with the intel E3-1265L v2 CPU. Running Xpenology on ESXi 6.5 U3 - HP custom, at the moment.
Now question is, I saw in the other post that hardware transcoding is only possible with 918+ ? But I see everyone is using 3615xs on this machine? Why not 918+? Is that not working even if you buy the correct network card?

I'm not an HP expert, but I can answer the distilled-down question above.  The CPU you have is an Ivy Bridge architecture, which is too old to run the DS918 version of DSM, compiled to use new instructions present in Haswell or later.  So those running Ivy Bridge architecture have no choice but to run DS3615xs.

Hardware transcoding requires Intel Quicksync drivers that are only implemented on DS918 DSM.  This post may help you understand the limitations further.

Edited by flyride

10 hours ago, flyride said:

I'm not an HP expert, but I can answer the distilled-down question above.  The CPU you have is an Ivy Bridge architecture, which is too old to run the DS918 version of DSM, compiled to use new instructions present in Haswell or later.  So those running Ivy Bridge architecture have no choice but to run DS3615xs.

Hardware transcoding requires Intel Quicksync drivers that are only implemented on DS918 DSM.  This post may help you understand the limitations further.

Ok I understand.. So I have to forget about 918+ for a while.. Or maybe forever? Do you think there will be some kind of fix for this in the future? Im thinking when DSM 7 comes are we doomed with this microserver?

Im in a tough spot here since this server only has 1 PCI slot. So I have to go either HBA card to easily passthrough my drives to ESXi but then I cant have the newest version because no intel NIC.
Or I use RDM and buy the intel network card and get the latest DSM with 3615xs.. Which feels bad because you get no SMART data etc with RDM. and Im not sure how it works when a drive fails etc..

The reason I really want the latest DSM is because Im planning to put nextcloud in a docker container on synology and make it availible on the internet so I can reach it from outside my home. For this I guess I really want the latest DSM for security reasons.

However I think there might be 2 alternatives for this as Ive read some..

1, use a NGINX reverse proxy on a seperate linux VM so I only open the ports to this VM instead, and have it forward the requests to nextcloud on synology.
2, use a VPN server at home and connect only to it for the nextcloud application.

What do you think? Should I go with forget latest versions of DSM and get a HBA card instead and one of the 2 above options to reach nextcloud instead? Do you think there will ever be a "fix" for none intel network cards to be able to get latest DSM versions? Or is it the best way to future proof to get intel NIC..?

• 2 weeks later...

L.E. Problem fixed, I had to wait for a while!

Gen8 user here, that want's to upgrade from 6.1.7 to 6.2.2

I've bought and installed a network card HP n360t.

From BIOS I've disabled the internal NIC's

I've booted into June 1.03b with Reinstall option (2) from the boot menu.

I cannot find the NAS with SynoAssist.

Edited by Mentat

• 2 weeks later...