XPEnology Community

HP Microservers above 6.2

blue max

On 1/7/2021 at 10:31 AM, Orphée said:

Hello,

I currently have a N54L + NIC HP NC360T working just fine with 1.03b booloader as DS3615xs without any extra conf

I'm about to receive a HP Gen8.

I'm thinking about 1.04b loader DS918+ or keep 1.03b with DS3615xs like the N54L... Can you give me your opinion ?

I also need an HP NC360T with this Gen8 I guess ?

Thank you

The Gen8 can't use the 1.04b loader as it's too old, stick with 1.03b. As for the internal nic it works fine with 6.2.3

• Thanks 1

• 5 months later...

I have a Microserver Gen8 + Intel NIC and Xenon Processor - 

Intel Xeon E3-1265L V2

DS3615xs

Current DSM version: DSM 6.2.3-25426 Update 3

DSM 6.2.4-25556 is available for download, but as the dedicated threads tells, update to 25554 of newer 25556 fail.

So, is the end of the road for this hardware?

Edited by Mentat

4 hours ago, Mentat said:

DSM 6.2.4-25556 is available for download, but as the dedicated threads tells, update to 25554 of newer 25556 fail.

So, is the end of the road for this hardware?

Nothing to do with that particular hardware, 6.2.4 doesn't work for anyone, on any hardware, using currently available loaders.

35 minutes ago, Mentat said:

Ok, so we (with gen8) are stuck on DSM 6.2.3-25426 Update 3 for ever?

Maybe. Maybe not.

We can see on this forum that people are looking in to it. Others may be looking at it and not being public about what they are doing.

In the past the "developers" have waited until the new release becomes rolled out widely before disclosing their work.

So we can't say that there will never be a new loader that takes Xpenology forward but equally we can't say that there will be one.

We certainly can't say when.

I have independently decided to stay on 6.2.3 on my genuine Synology boxes for the time being as 7 is a major upgrade and 6.2.4 seems to have some of 7 backported. It all works at the moment and if ain't broke ......

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

am I the only one struggling with all this setups? I can install 6.2 and 23739 but still scratching head trying to install 6.2.3 update 3. I've gone through all the replies here but failing to understand the process. Anyone kindly pls post a complete idiot steps to upgrade? It's a clean install so don't need to worry about losing data.

Thanks.

ignore...I'm an idiot. For future ref to myself, pat file was wrong. I was trying with update 3 (small size 45MB) directly without 6.2.3-25426 (around 273MB). 

Trying to copy data from old HD. The speed currently is 50MB/sec over wired connection. Is is slow? 3 and half hrs for less than 2TB!!!

7 hours ago, ghostivv said:

Trying to copy data from old HD. The speed currently is 50MB/sec over wired connection. Is is slow? 3 and half hrs for less than 2TB!!!

What model drive and how is it connected?  What are you using for storage on the NAS?  What array configuration?  These all would be required to assess what is happening.

If your source drive is very old, that throughput may be plausible, but that is pretty slow.

• 1 month later...

I'm currently running a gen 8 with a Xeon E3-1265L V2 and DSM 6.2.3/esxi 7 but considering changing it to a bare metal machine due to issues shutting it down automatically without corruption

1. By reading this thread, is this the best config for me? I do use plex etc.

1.03b
3615XS
DSM 6.2.3-25426 Update 3

2. Can I install to an SD card and use the onboard reader? i.e. does this cause issues reading VID/PID?
3. Any other tips for first time baremetal config?

Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

@Mentat  

Lol, I did a dummy run using a spare Hard Drive and the update to 7.01 worked perfectly. Put my four data packed HD's back into the HPGen8, re-ran the whole loader/update process and it failed totally!

Took a while to get everything back the way it was with 6.2.3 . I think I was lucky to actually keep all my data intact.

I won't be trying again any time soon, had a real WTF moment plus gained a few grey hairs.   I'll re-visit it at some point but I've had a gig enough scare to put me off for a while.

Well done for getting it done.  Personally I'd sit tight on 7.01, likely further loader development might get you to 7.1 and beyond, if its working fine then I'd step back for a while and watch for further developments.

I have the same Xeon processor as yourself but have the Intel NIC which was required to do specific updates a while back, appears like its not necessary now though.

Good luck with whatever you do and whilst I'm here, many thanks to all the developers - great job, really appreciate your efforts!

Edited by boris blank