XPEnology Community

HP Microservers above 6.2

blue max

21 minutes ago, wengi said:

Both work.
Jun without extra and jun with ig-88 v0.11

I just installed bare matel on microserver gen 8 with v0.11 and ig-88 states it also works without too.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

I am using extra lzma + 6.2.2 DS3615xs. Is there a way how to check the version of the extra lzma?

As far as i know you can download the (older) versions and compare the files.

But thats not needed.

Just go back to original juns loader or use, as i did, IG-88 v0.11

Here is the confirmation of IG-88 that using juns original extra is absolute fine:

I used the 3615 v0.11 extra from his post:

"extra.lzma for loader 1.03b ds3615 DSM 6.2.3 v0.11_test, same added drivers as for 6.2.2 like newer intel drivers, 10G nics, ..."

Dont forget to copy the newest rd.gz and zImage from 25426

Edited by wengi

1 hour ago, haldi said:

So..... how about 6.2.3 and Built in NIC?

jun's original extra.lzma is working again with 6.2.3 and contains the tg3.ko driver already

it "broke" when synology introduced a kernel config change in 6.2.2, as as they reverted it in 6.2.3 ...

1 hour ago, haldi said:

Seems like there are people who don't use extra LMZA and yet it works?

"dont use" means they are using jun's old/original extra.lzma, would be more precise to ask about the "replacement" of extra.lzma

if people did not care about the "lost" bcm nic in 6.2.2 because they had a additional intel nic that still worked after update to 6.2.2, and did not install a 6.2.2 aware driver set, then theey still have the original extra.lzma and that one is working again with 6.2.3 because of the reverted change in kernel config from synology -> tg3.ko working again, onboard bcm nic is "back"

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, cpuks said:

So to be 100% clear on this matter - baremetal + NC360T - DS3615 1.03b loader without extras will work just fine after upgrade?

isnt that card marked as native suppoerted,?so even without a driver working from extra.lzma it should work with just the drivers synology provide within dsm itself

i was mainly referencing about systems without additional nic using the onboard broadcom

with 6.2.3 you could throw out the added intel based nic and have the onboard working with jun's original extra or with the new 0.11

only one not working with 6.2.3 is the extra.lzma made for 6.2.2

• Like 1

On 6/1/2020 at 4:28 PM, IG-88 said:

isnt that card marked as native suppoerted,?so even without a driver working from extra.lzma it should work with just the drivers synology provide within dsm itself

i was mainly referencing about systems without additional nic using the onboard broadcom

with 6.2.3 you could throw out the added intel based nic and have the onboard working with jun's original extra or with the new 0.11

only one not working with 6.2.3 is the extra.lzma made for 6.2.2

In that case, what should I do when I wanted to upgrade to 6.2.3 when on the lzma for 6.2.X with DS3615xs?

Do I have to create a new USB bootable without the extra lzma and the pat file of 6.2.3?

1 hour ago, sandisxxx said:

In that case, what should I do when I wanted to upgrade to 6.2.3 when on the lzma for 6.2.X with DS3615xs?

the "X" is important here it its 6.2.2 and you used a special extra.lzma the you will need to replace it, as 6.2.2 drivers (in the extra.lzma) will not with 6.2.3

so check you documentation ... :-)

1 hour ago, sandisxxx said:

Do I have to create a new USB bootable without the extra lzma and the pat file of 6.2.3?

not when you already have loader 1,03b and DSm 6.2.x, in worst case you need to replace the extra.lzma with jun's original (can be extracted from the img with 7zip or osfmount) or use a newer one from here

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/28321-driver-extension-jun-103b104b-for-dsm623-for-918-3615xs-3617xs/

i'd use jun's extra.lzma and if that makes any problem then you can try a newer one

if you come from 6.2.0 or never replaced jun's extra.lzma you can just update to 6.2.3

(as 6.2.2 was new there was a lack of drivers and lots of jun's drivers did not work, some did not update, other bought "native" hardware that have drivers in dsm itself so they could update, keep jun's extra.lzma and still had a working nic )

• Thanks 1

On 6/1/2020 at 7:12 AM, haldi said:

So..... how about 6.2.3 and Built in NIC?

Seems like there are people who don't use extra LMZA and yet it works?

Yes, it works. As others have stated, for HP Microserver Gen8, if you have DSM 6.2.2 you need to use the custom extra.lzma. In order to update to DSM 6.2.3 you need to replace the custom extra.lzma with the original one from Jun's v 1.03b. I went through this process with 4 Xpenology servers without any issues. Just make sure you replace the extra.lzma on the USB stick through ssh / terminal before updating to DSM 6.2.3 through Control Panel. You will have to update manually i.e. select the 6.2.3 pat file.

For new installation you just need to use Jun's 1.03b original boot loader (w/o any changes) and 6.2.3 pat file.

Hope that helps.

Edited by Decebalus
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Decebalus said:

Yes, it works. As others have stated, for HP Microserver Gen8, if you have DSM 6.2.2 you need to use the custom extra.lzma. In order to update to DSM 6.2.3 you need to replace the custom extra.lzma with the original one from Jun's v 1.03b. I went through this process with 4 Xpenology servers without any issues. Just make sure you replace the extra.lzma on the USB stick through ssh / terminal before updating to DSM 6.2.3 through Control Panel. You will have to update manually i.e. select the 6.2.3 pat file.

For new installation you just need to use Jun's 1.03b original boot loader (w/o any changes) and 6.2.3 pat file.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for this very useful advice. Can someone share the original extra.lzma file from Jun's loader 1.03b for us pretty please?

Just now, sandisxxx said:

Thanks for this very useful advice. Can someone share the original extra.lzma file from Jun's loader 1.03b for us pretty please?

It's right in the Jun's loader 1.03b bootloader. Get it from there (from the 2nd partition of 30MB).

14 minutes ago, sandisxxx said:

Can you please tell me how to overwrite the extra.lzma from the synoboot2 partition of the USB boot drive?

I have tried to mount it but I got some error that I can not understand really.

49 minutes ago, Decebalus said:

It's right in the Jun's loader 1.03b bootloader. Get it from there (from the 2nd partition of 30MB).

Found it:

1) Enable SSH and ssh into your DiskStation

2) Become root ( sudo -i )

3) Make a mount point ( mkdir -p /tmp/mountMe )

4) cd into /dev ( cd /dev )

5) mount synoboot2 to your mount point ( mount -t vfat synoboot2 /tmp/mountMe )

Now I see the extra.lzma modified that has 4MiB in size so now I just replace the file with the original from 1.03b that has some 1,8MiB ?

Then I use the web interface to manually install the DSM_DS3615xs_25426.pat?

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Edited by sandisxxx
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, sandisxxx said:

Found it:

1) Enable SSH and ssh into your DiskStation

2) Become root ( sudo -i )

3) Make a mount point ( mkdir -p /tmp/mountMe )

4) cd into /dev ( cd /dev )

5) mount synoboot2 to your mount point ( mount -t vfat synoboot2 /tmp/mountMe )

Now I see the extra.lzma modified that has 4MiB in size so now I just replace the file with the original from 1.03b that has some 1,8MiB ?

Then I use the web interface to manually install the DSM_DS3615xs_25426.pat?

Please correct me if I am wrong.

You got it. Plus you have to unmount synoboot2 after you have copied the file with umount. After that you start the manual update from Control Panel. Do not reboot before updating. 

Edited by Decebalus

4 hours ago, Decebalus said:

You got it. Plus you have to unmount synoboot2 after you have copied the file with umount. After that you start the manual update from Control Panel. Do not reboot before updating. 

Thanks for great advice! Everything worked as expected. The 10 minutes when the box was not responding to ping took hours :D

Hope this helps also others with same config.

Gerat work!

image.thumb.png.a3d5af4becb9028efbd0e62f1216e927.png

Edited by sandisxxx

7 hours ago, sandisxxx said:

Thanks for great advice! Everything worked as expected. The 10 minutes when the box was not responding to ping took hours

That makes no sense. Mine got updated in less than 4 min and was available on the network immediately after that. It does have a xenon CPU but even with a GT CPU it should be under 10 min. 

On 6/5/2020 at 1:36 PM, Decebalus said:

Do you really need to unmount the drive? Wouldn't that automatically happen when you reboot? It doesn't automatically remount when you start again does it?

Edit: Uhm..
grafik.thumb.png.adb8f2320572767d2cac1b8baf0ef06e.png

Seems like that's the reason why you have to umount the /tmp/mountMe folder ^^

Edited by haldi

6 minutes ago, haldi said:

Do you really need to unmount the drive? Wouldn't that automatically happen when you reboot? It doesn't automatically remount when you start again does it?

i did not try but i can imagine it does, when you start the update in the web gui dsm prepares the system for the update and one step is to copy the new kernel (zImage, rd.gz) to the usb and usually (original hardware) it's not mounted, if they do any checks  about the state then maybe the update process might fail with a error

4 hours ago, haldi said:

Edit: Uhm..
grafik.thumb.png.adb8f2320572767d2cac1b8baf0ef06e.png

Yup! You got it. Trust me, been there, done that :-)  Another option is to unplug and plug back the USB stick but it’s faster and more elegant to umount through terminal. Plus it’s safer since unplugging the USB could result in data corruption on the stick. When the partition is mounted by your terminal instance  the DSM update can’t write to it, hence the error and the need to unmount it. 

Edited by Decebalus

22 hours ago, haldi said:

I can confirm you will get an error 21 if you fail to umount the loader.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Im getting a weird error I have never gotten before.
Im running 6.2.2 on DS3515xs - with loader 1.03b , in ESXi 6.7U3

I think there might be problem in my info center already:
CPU: INTEL Core i3-2100 - not sure if this is the correct CPU it should show?

Anyway my problem is when trying to update from my version to 6.2.3 using the downloaded PAT from synology website for DS3615xs . It tells me incompatible patch file on 2% every time..

I do not use any Extra or anything.. Just normal 1.03b loader and thats it. Because I have a passthrough HBA card in IT mode and in ESXi I just use E1000e network card, everything has worked fine..

Anyone know what can be wrong?

• 6 months later...

Hello,

I currently have a N54L + NIC HP NC360T working just fine with 1.03b booloader as DS3615xs without any extra conf

I'm about to receive a HP Gen8.

I'm thinking about 1.04b loader DS918+ or keep 1.03b with DS3615xs like the N54L... Can you give me your opinion ?

I also need an HP NC360T with this Gen8 I guess ?

Thank you

21 hours ago, Orphée said:

Hello,

I currently have a N54L + NIC HP NC360T working just fine with 1.03b booloader as DS3615xs without any extra conf

I'm about to receive a HP Gen8.

I'm thinking about 1.04b loader DS918+ or keep 1.03b with DS3615xs like the N54L... Can you give me your opinion ?

I also need an HP NC360T with this Gen8 I guess ?

Thank you

I'm running 1.03b with 3615XS with original nic (again) here on the Gen8. So could recommend that.

Have a look at the tutorials on the forum here, I'm not even sure 1.04b plus DS918 can work with the Gen8 hardware.

26 minutes ago, Church of Noise said:

I'm running 1.03b with 3615XS with original nic (again) here on the Gen8. So could recommend that.

Have a look at the tutorials on the forum here, I'm not even sure 1.04b plus DS918 can work with the Gen8 hardware.

Hello, did you need extra.lzma file ?

On the N54L onboard nic was not working anymore after 6.2.3