XPEnology Community

HP Microservers above 6.2

blue max

Hi, 

First, thank you for creating this thread. Having also a HP gen8 with the latest 6.1.7 DSM, the question I have is around the use of custom extra.lzma. I have noticed that quite a number of people are using a custom extra.lzma with June 1.03b loader and are able to use the NICs on the server. Should I understand that following the instructions from the thread below will work to upgrade to 6.2.2 without compatible NIC? Has anyone from this thread tried it successfully?

19 hours ago, Decebalus said:

Hi, 

First, thank you for creating this thread. Having also a HP gen8 with the latest 6.1.7 DSM, the question I have is around the use of custom extra.lzma. I have noticed that quite a number of people are using a custom extra.lzma with June 1.03b loader and are able to use the NICs on the server. Should I understand that following the instructions from the thread below will work to upgrade to 6.2.2 without compatible NIC? Has anyone from this thread tried it successfully?

Never mind. Already tested it and I can confirm internal NICs are recognized. See here for more details.

7 hours ago, Decebalus said:

Never mind. Already tested it and I can confirm internal NICs are recognized. See here for more details.

Thank you for confirming this. I moved over to the external NIC some time ago now. Wonder if I should move back to this, though know nothing about adding custom izma's. Probably won't risk it now.

Edited by blue max

1 hour ago, blue max said:

though know nothing about adding custom izma's. Probably won't risk it now.

no need to change anything if you dont need the pcie slot and the additional power consumtion (3-5W?) is no concern for you

dont try to fix anything that is not broken

3 minutes ago, IG-88 said:

no need to change anything if you dont need the pcie slot and the additional power consumtion (3-5W?) is no concern for you

dont try to fix anything that is not broken

Thank you. Yes, I always try to find the simplest solution that gives long-term security. I have two machines, but have had some hairy moments (was it 6.0 that worked for a few days and then failed - I did one and figured it was ok and did the other). Hopefully version 7.0 will be manageable going forward.

2 minutes ago, blue max said:

Hopefully version 7.0 will be manageable going forward.

don't count on that, even if someone (jun?) does a hack it will not be released before the official dsm 7.0 release

also there is no kernel source available, even the kernel code we use now is from beta 6.0, looks like synology does not mind the GPL

10 minutes ago, IG-88 said:

don't count on that, even if someone (jun?) does a hack it will not be released before the official dsm 7.0 release

also there is no kernel source available, even the kernel code we use now is from beta 6.0, looks like synology does not mind the GPL

What are you saying? You dont think xpenology users will be able to use DSM 7.0 at all..?

1 hour ago, Jamzor said:

You dont think xpenology users will be able to use DSM 7.0 at all..?

there is no guarantee for that, there is just one person doing it and maybe he has no time or is not interested in that stuff anymore (job, marriage, children - you know life is changing)

and it also depends on the amount of protection, lets say they use more advanced tech like TPM's, its still possible but might get harder to  break in that its not worth the effort, DSM is not iOS, the amount of people interested in that stuff is limited and there are plenty alternatives around (like OMV, FeeNAS, NAS4Free, ...)

• 2 months later...

Hello community. I have been really struggling yesterday after I (without research) updated from Jun's loade 1.02b DSM 6.1.X 3615sx to Jun's loader 1.03b and DSM DSM 6.2-23739 - HP Microserver Gen8 bare metal.

I migrated everything successfully and then hit the Update button (badum ts).

Then I figured that this is probably due to the internal NICs not being supported any more.

My NICs are Broadcom BCM5720.

I would like to have the latest DSM running, due to security patches and also due my Let's encrypt certificate.

It does not seem to work now with the older build.

Question: Is there ANY way how to make the Internal NICs work with the latest DSM or the only possible way is to get a supported NIC?

I was not really able to find any solution for this, just putting in a PCIEx NIC.

And if the PCIEx NIC is the only possible way, do you have specific NIC models as well as some advice, how to perform this on an existing DSM 6.2-23739 bare metal installation?

THanks 

Edited by sandisxxx

2 часа назад, sandisxxx сказал:

Hello community. I have been really struggling yesterday after I (without research) updated from Jun's loade 1.02b DSM 6.1.X 3615sx to Jun's loader 1.03b and DSM DSM 6.2-23739 - HP Microserver Gen8 bare metal.

And if the PCIEx NIC is the only possible way, do you have specific NIC models as well as some advice, how to perform this on an existing DSM 6.2-23739 bare metal installation?

THanks 

create image your flash drive and after try use this topic

you need replace drivers on your image with drivers from this topic.

my experience, but only on RUSSIAN. you can use google translate

Edited by LuXoR

2 hours ago, sandisxxx said:

I will try to do the Migrate process with the USB with updated files from the 6.2.2 pat file and the modded extras.lzma file first...

Change of plans, I am removing all SATA drives and just put one testing drive into the box. I will lboot the prepared USB with the modded extra.lzma and the 2 other files taken from the 6.2.2 file. Will do a clean install and then try to update to see if the box goes brick or not. If not, I will prepare a USB the same way, put all original drives back and boot from it to try to perform the Migration process, while using the same pat file of 6.2.2. Will put kids to sleep and do it. My report will follow.

Edited by sandisxxx

44 minutes ago, sandisxxx said:

Will do a clean install and then try to update to see if the box goes brick or not. If not,

your microserver gen8 is documented to work with the new driver package for 6.2.2

your 1st attempt would have been ok with a usb flash drive with 1.03b and the newer kernel files a the new extra.lzma

the method of doing the usb 1st is to prevent people from (semi) bricking there system with the 6.2.2. updaten and then having trouble preparing the new usb

if the usb works as 6.2.2 with the new drivers then there is not much that can go wrong

29 minutes ago, IG-88 said:

your microserver gen8 is documented to work with the new driver package for 6.2.2

your 1st attempt would have been ok with a usb flash drive with 1.03b and the newer kernel files a the new extra.lzma

the method of doing the usb 1st is to prevent people from (semi) bricking there system with the 6.2.2. updaten and then having trouble preparing the new usb

if the usb works as 6.2.2 with the new drivers then there is not much that can go wrong

Thanks for the reply. So far I can tell that the test with blank drive went 100% OK with no surprises. One thing I noticed is, that after the first boot and install it rebooted once again. But then I was on the latest version running OK. Now I am going thru the real deal, currently Migration is being done. Fingers crossed. Last reboot now and I will be able to tell how it went. Will report back soon hopefully. 

Well, I must admit, that this community is one of the best I've seen on the Interwebs. After 2 days I managed to make the HP Microserver Gen8 to work with the latest DSM update.

All credits go to Jun and this community!

Here is what I did in final to migrate form 1.02b + 3615sx running 6.1.x to current 1.03b + modded extras.lzma on 6.2.2 24922:

1. Prepare the USB like normally using 1.03b and editing grub.cfg (as you can find in the forums here)

2. download the modded extras.lzma from this topic and copy and replace the file onto your USB drive 2nd partition.

3. download the proper .pat file and extract rd.gz and zimage files and copy and replace them on the USB drive

Your USB drive for migration is now ready.

4. Put the USB into the (internal) USB port and boot up

5. Follow the standard Migrate process that you can find on these forums

Note there will be one more reboot than usual.

Thanks so much to you guys for helping me doing this.

I wish you all good luck and health during these hard times of Covud-19.

P.S. Also the Let's Encrypt certificate now works too.

You rock

Edited by sandisxxx

DSM is not iOS, the amount of people interested in that stuff is limited and there are plenty alternatives around (like OMV, FeeNAS, NAS4Free, ...)

And that's what I don't get.
Synology COULD put all their recent updates Open Source and simply not provide any support. But they are probably afraid that people will not buy their overpriced NAS hardware anymore if it would be too easy.

I'm sure DSM7 will not be compatible with older hardware. They've already proofen that they start to cut out old hardware that's not needed anymore.
I don't think the HP Gen8 will work. This could be a great chance to update to brand new hardware, but on the other hand it's a shame to sell a perfectly well working cube.
Well it's probably gonna take a while for 7 to release so no reason to start worrying now.

6 hours ago, haldi said:

Synology COULD put all their recent updates Open Source and simply not provide any support. But they are probably afraid that people will not buy their overpriced NAS hardware anymore if it would be too easy.

i think its more about the brand names like synology and dsm, if there are a lot unhappy people with there own hardware (some overly cheap and already used for >5 years) and driver problems

i guess one of the reasons they let as do our thing here is the different brand name "xpenology" sound different enough

not much to gain, more to loose for a free open source distribution

they could be much more unpleasant if they wanted to, it not too bad the way it is

6 hours ago, haldi said:

I'm sure DSM7 will not be compatible with older hardware. They've already proofen that they start to cut out old hardware that's not needed anymore.

they need to support "older" business units like 3617 or similar for at least 5 years if they want to compete with established server brands, so either way we will have continues (secuity) updates for 6.2 or 7.0

also there could be a new hack, replacing 3615, also 918+ was once new and takes now a lot of the installs of xpenology (i guess)

we will see what happens when 7.0 is out

6 hours ago, haldi said:

I don't think the HP Gen8 will work.

how will you know? its to early, even less then speculation but if some people feel better selling they might do it now before other do it - might be a good catch for others that dont need always the latest, Gen8 with 6.2.2 works for a lot of people

6 hours ago, haldi said:

This could be a great chance to update to brand new hardware, but on the other hand it's a shame to sell a perfectly well working cube.

yes and you dont know what hardware will be in favor next, i got a intel 9100

from whats inside the dsm source files they at least experiment with geminilake and coffeelake

6 hours ago, haldi said:

Well it's probably gonna take a while for 7 to release so no reason to start worrying now.

exactly, what killer feature should 7.0 have we need here, most of the stuff i've seen from 7.0 was for business customers

a fully working 6.2.2 (without the need of a valid serial) is pretty good and if there would be a custom kernel now that we have source for 24922 ... that might be better then having 7.0

• 1 month later...

Just installed DSM 6.2.2-24922 Update 6 successfully on my Gen8 (with extra.Izma) as a test before i commit as i am still running 5.2-5967 Update 9 which is very stable for me.

All looked good but has anyone had success in bonding the x2 internal NIC's?

The internal NIC's were working fine as 2 seperate NIC's in DHCP mode and with Static IP's but once Bonded together in Link Aggregation Mode i am not getting an IP address to connect to it.

Synology Assistant can see server but with following detials:

(MAC address 1)

Nothing = IP address

Manual = IP status 

Status = Ready

(MAC address 2)

Nothing = IP address

Manual = IP status 

Status = Connection failed

It seems the DSM software tried to bond the network ports but something is not right somewhere. I tried a re-install and same thing happened. Therefore was wondering if anyone else had success in Bonding the NIC's?

• 2 weeks later...

So..... how about 6.2.3 and Built in NIC?

Seems like there are people who don't use extra LMZA and yet it works?

On 5/26/2020 at 7:43 PM, Decebalus said:

- Outcome of the update: SUCCESSFUL

- DSM version prior update: DSM 6.2.3-25423

- Loader version and model: JUN'S LOADER v1.03b - DS3615xs

- Using custom extra.lzma: NO

- Installation type: BAREMETAL - HP Microserver Gen 8

- Additional comments: Using built in NIC

On 5/20/2020 at 4:29 PM, eater-san said:

- Outcome of the update:  UNSUCCESSFUL

- DSM version prior update: DSM 6.2.3-25426

- Loader version and model: JUN'S LOADER v1.03b - DS3617xs

- Using custom extra.lzma: YES

- Installation type: BAREMETAL - HP Microserver Gen8 onborad NIC enabled 

- Additional comment: NIC is not visible after reboot.

↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓

- Outcome of the update:  SUCCESSFUL

- DSM version prior update: DSM 6.2.3-25426

- Loader version and model: JUN'S LOADER v1.03b - DS3617xs

- Using custom extra.lzma: NO

- Installation type: BAREMETAL - HP Microserver Gen8 onborad NIC enabled

- Additional comment: Re-created synoboot.img on a USB memory. Repair after startup. I was able to update safely.image.thumb.png.439e3f0937fe63733323c23a89e8e08e.png

And then there's this guy who uses the 0.11v of the extra.lzma which seems like a safer method.

On 5/27/2020 at 4:41 PM, le.pipo007 said:

- Outcome of the update: SUCCESSFUL
- DSM version prior update: DSM 6.2.2-24922 Update 6
- Loader version and model: JUN'S LOADER v1.03b - DS3615xs
- Using custom extra.lzma: YES
- Installation type: HP Microserver Gen 8 CPU Xeon E31260

- Additional comments: Becareful ... you have to create a new usb key !

I spend 2 hour to understand!

if you use extra.lzma, you have to download the version 0.11 for 6.3 (http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=04147311964729253115 for 3615)

download also the pat file https://archive.synology.com/download/DSM/release/6.2.3/25426/DSM_DS3615xs_25426.pat

extract the zImage file and rd.z and put the 3 files (extra.lzma, zlimage and rd.z) into the usb key.

after that... it's working...

But going from this sentence it might really work without?

basically synology reverted the kernel config change made in 6.2.2 back to what was before so old drivers from original 1.04b loader (and older driver i made before  6.2.2) should work again - but as synology also introduced there own new i915 driver with 6.2.3 there will be a conflict when jun's i915 driver is loaded with 6.2.3

Edited by haldi
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, haldi said:

So..... how about 6.2.3 and Built in NIC?

Seems like there are people who don't use extra LMZA and yet it works?

And then there's this guy who uses the 0.11v of the extra.lzma which seems like a safer method.

But going from this sentence it might really work without?

Well I use extra LZMA but I did not find the courage to try the update on my Gen8....yet.

So I sort of have the same question.