XPEnology Community

Problem ASrock J4205

Danilo

Good evening, I assembled an AsRock j4205 with 8 GB of ram, and installed the DMS 6.2 with loader 1.04b.

Everything works fine, only one thing I could not solve, the shutdown is not successful, I think that the system is turned off, but the power supply and the leds are still working, and I believe that even the hard drives continue to turn.

Does anyone know how to solve?

Thanks for the attention

• 2 weeks later...

I'm fiddeling with my J4205 now for a couple of weeks. So far it has been a frustrating XPEperience (SCNR) and I was about to pipe my J4205 to /dev/null.
Anywho, today appears to be a good day - I made significant progress after downgrading the mainboard BIOS to an older version! :)

Here's where I am at currently:

- Loader: 1.02b (DS916+)
- DSM: 6.1.7-15284
(DSM_DS916+_15284.pat)
Forget DSM 6.2.x, it's just painfully slow & unresponsive. Not even a ssh-session works fluidly. Shutdown/reboot mostly doesn't work and is slow. Onboard NIC speed sucks - UL randomly jumps from 10MB/s-90MB/s
- Mainboard BIOS: 1.40

The newer versions include the meltdown patches -> already slow CPU gets even slower

Downgrade using "afudos.exe filename140.rom /GAN" if you are already on a newer BIOS version
- BIOS Settings: 

Disable all powermgt-options (speedstep, core package states)
Fast mode (don't think this really matters much)

Results so far:
+ SSH finally works fine
+ Onboard NIC UL & DL is rock solid @ ~110MB/s
+ System reboot works & startup speed is fine
- VMM doesn't work for me, getting kernel panic errors when trying to start any linux-vm :-|

Benchmarks are finally as expected:

CPU:
sh-4.3$ dd if=/dev/zero bs=1M count=4096 | md5sum
4096+0 records in
4096+0 records out
4294967296 bytes (4.3 GB) copied, 16.1171 s, 266 MB/s

Basic SATA SSD-Volume:
sh-4.3$ sudo dd bs=1M count=1024 if=/dev/zero of=/volume1/SysVOL1/Test/temp.bench conv=fdatasync
1024+0 records in
1024+0 records out
1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 2.78121 s, 386 MB/s

Maybe I'll  give DSM 6.2.x another try. Am just not there yet.

Hope this will be of some help. ;-)

tw1

netspeed-after.png

Edited by _tw1_
added pic

16 hours ago, _tw1_ said:

I'm fiddeling with my J4205 now for a couple of weeks. So far it has been a frustrating XPEperience (SCNR) and I was about to pipe my J4205 to /dev/null.
Anywho, today appears to be a good day - I made significant progress after downgrading the mainboard BIOS to an older version! :)

Here's where I am at currently:

- Loader: 1.02b (DS916+)
- DSM: 6.1.7-15284
(DSM_DS916+_15284.pat)
Forget DSM 6.2.x, it's just painfully slow & unresponsive. Not even a ssh-session works fluidly. Shutdown/reboot mostly doesn't work and is slow. Onboard NIC speed sucks - UL randomly jumps from 10MB/s-90MB/s
- Mainboard BIOS: 1.40

The newer versions include the meltdown patches -> already slow CPU gets even slower

Downgrade using "afudos.exe filename140.rom /GAN" if you are already on a newer BIOS version
- BIOS Settings: 

Disable all powermgt-options (speedstep, core package states)
Fast mode (don't think this really matters much)

Results so far:
+ SSH finally works fine
+ Onboard NIC UL & DL is rock solid @ ~110MB/s
+ System reboot works & startup speed is fine
- VMM doesn't work for me, getting kernel panic errors when trying to start any linux-vm :-|

Benchmarks are finally as expected:

CPU:
sh-4.3$ dd if=/dev/zero bs=1M count=4096 | md5sum
4096+0 records in
4096+0 records out
4294967296 bytes (4.3 GB) copied, 16.1171 s, 266 MB/s

Basic SATA SSD-Volume:
sh-4.3$ sudo dd bs=1M count=1024 if=/dev/zero of=/volume1/SysVOL1/Test/temp.bench conv=fdatasync
1024+0 records in
1024+0 records out
1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 2.78121 s, 386 MB/s

Maybe I'll  give DSM 6.2.x another try. Am just not there yet.

Hope this will be of some help. ;-)

tw1

netspeed-after.png

I forgot to say that I installed the 918+, and actually the boot speed is a bit slow, but after it seems to be quite fluid, I also noticed hdd speed from 10mb to 90mb, but VMM works well with win7pro and win10ltsb, the h265 transcoding works fine on plex, but only software, and in SSH it does not notice any slowdowns.
Mkvtoolnix and jdownloader work great.
Can someone explain to me how to test the speed of hdd in DMS?

A simple shell-cmd is in my previous post:

(or here in detail)

Disk-Speed:

sudo dd bs=1M count=1024 if=/dev/zero of=/volume1/SysVOL1/Test/temp.bench conv=fdatasync

Just adjust the of="..." part to fit your filesystem.

RAM-Speed:

dd if=/dev/zero bs=1M count=4096 | md5sum

I tried 918+ Loader 1.04/1.03 aswell multiple times, it just was painfully slow HDD, RAM & CPU wise.

VMM not working is the only thing left bugging me right now, as I wanted to put pihole & a couple of low-performance web-tools into VMs. The 4205 running 24/7 @12Watt max would be perfect for that.

Docker is working, but the config is totally confusing for me.

Edited by _tw1_