XPEnology Community

How to update from 5.0 to 6.x?

Hello folks,

it's a long time since I installed DSM on my HP ProLiant Microserver Gen8. Therefore I have currently the version 5.0 with model DS3612xs installed with NanoBoot.

To be honest I just wanted to update to a newer Plex Server version but it seems that this is not possible on an older DSM.

Now I need to update and can't figure out how. I don't care about settings of my current system, I just want to have the new version. I don't know why I can't update directly to 6.x but I read that i have to update first to 5.2 but nobody explains how to.

I already tried the following:

I downloaded XPEnoboot_DS3615xs_5.2-5644.5 and the corresponding DSM file. It tolds me that I have to migrate from 3612 to 3615 but that seems to be ok. Than I choose manually install and use the version 5.2-5644. If I try to manually install the version the DSM tells me that I need a newer version than 23824. So it seems I can't update to an older version?!

Now I don't know what to do and if I can install a complete fresh version right from 6.x and so on. I would highly appreciate if someone could help me to solve this!

Sincerely,

Lotus

You should be able to update directly to DSM5.2 using the  5967.1 image from the loader page. 

Ensure the pat file is the correct one from the Synology 5.2/5967 archive  https://archive.synology.com/download/DSM/release/5.2/5967/

For DSM5.2 you don't need to make any changes to the USB boot device, just create your image.

Once the machine is booted you can migrate, (keep settings or delete) then complete the update.

Once that is completed you could look at updating to 6.1, and just follow the published tutorial 5.2>6.1.

I would do a hardware test using a spare hdd and 6.1 loader to make sure you system is ok with 6.1 then connect you raid drives and migrate, but do a data backup either way before you start 'playing'

• Like 1