XPEnology Community

DSM 6.x Proxmox Backup Template

timonych

On 11/21/2020 at 6:23 PM, codedmind said:

Hello, after restore i start the vm went to find.synology setup the account then try update but always get corrupted file... is that normal?

I don't pretend keep the vm online, should i change mac and serial number, vid/pid?

@arkilee how can i know the vid/pid after the backup restore?

Thanks

Before update you have at least to create a volume. Did you do it?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Is it possible to add more drives? 

I ran into this solution:

args: -device nec-usb-xhci,id=usb,multifunction=on,bus=pci.0,addr=0xa -drive file=/var/lib/vz/images/108/vm-108-disk-0.raw,format=raw,if=none,id=drive-usb-disk2 -device usb-storage,bus=usb.0,port=2,drive=drive-usb-disk2,id=usb-disk2,bootindex=1,removable=off -rtc base=utc,driftfix=slew -global kvm-pit.lost_tick_policy=delay -no-hpet -global PIIX4_PM.disable_s3=1 -global PIIX4_PM.disable_s4=1 -realtime mlock=off -machine pc-i440fx-2.9,accel=kvm,usb=off,vmport=off,dump-guest-core=off -device 'ahci,id=ahci1,multifunction=on,bus=pci.0,addr=0x8' -drive 'file=/var/lib/vz/images/108/vm-108-disk-1.raw,if=none,id=drive-sata6,format=raw,cache=none,aio=native,detect-zeroes=on' -device 'ide-hd,bus=ahci1.0,drive=drive-sata6,id=sata6' -drive 'file=/dev/vg0/vg0_backup,if=none,id=drive-sata7,format=raw,cache=none,aio=native,detect-zeroes=on' -device 'ide-hd,bus=ahci1.1,drive=drive-sata7,id=sata7'

But when I adapt that to my own drive id's it doesnt work.

Any tips?

I want to migrate my baremetal xpenology with 6 harddrives, but the proxmox VM sata limit makes that difficult..

• 3 weeks later...

Hi your work is gra8" really appreciate it.

although i have a question, i have two 1 TB hdds  and would like to directly assign them to synology as a storage and do not want to attach them to proxmox.

if i am successful enough then i would like to add one 4TB HDD later on so that i can take backup of my phones, other data and sync them to AWS later on.

is there any ways if you could help me with attaching this 2 x 1 tb hdds directly to synology as a storage.

awaiting your reply.

On 3/1/2019 at 11:40 AM, timonych said:

Yes, you can.

Just use this command in console:

qm set <vmid> -sata<id> /dev/<device>

and your disk will used by QM. 

<vmid> = ID of Your VM

<id> = Free Sata index

<device> = Your Disk

But this is QEMU / Proxmox question. not Xpenology.

Of course. You need use --storage . I have made backup and restore via Web Interface.

Being newbie... could you please add proper example and where to use --storage switch. what is the significance of it.

13 hours ago, ontljoshi said:

Hi Timonych or any one... i have restored the xpnology from the backup but unable to figure out what is the ip. as its not seem to be picking up an ip from the proxmox. any help will be appreciated. thanks.

this is what i am receiving , is there any way i can get a real IP or assign real ip to this restored image. thanks.

image.thumb.png.3277bbdf09a8c755ae8befd761e33bb4.png

4 часа назад, ontljoshi сказал:

this is what i am receiving , is there any way i can get a real IP or assign real ip to this restored image. thanks.

image.thumb.png.3277bbdf09a8c755ae8befd761e33bb4.png

Hi!

First, You should ue e1000 driver change delete MAC address on net1 and Proxmox will configure a new MAC Addreess.

Second, which Image on which are you using? It's recommend to use DS3615/DS3617 on old hardware.

On 12/23/2020 at 1:35 PM, timonych said:

Hi!

First, You should ue e1000 driver change delete MAC address on net1 and Proxmox will configure a new MAC Addreess.

Second, which Image on which are you using? It's recommend to use DS3615/DS3617 on old hardware.

Hi @timonych thank you for your reply. Merry christmas! i have used the image as per the post vzdump-qemu-xpenology-918-6.2.3_25426.vma.lzo  and tried to delete the MAC address on net1 and tried that way also but no luck.. seems like not picking up an address.

27 минут назад, ontljoshi сказал:

Hi @timonych thank you for your reply. Merry christmas! i have used the image as per the post vzdump-qemu-xpenology-918-6.2.3_25426.vma.lzo  and tried to delete the MAC address on net1 and tried that way also but no luck.. seems like not picking up an address.

And You Merry Christmas ! :)

Try to use other backup instead of 918. I think that it's hardware incompatible with yours. For me, I can use 918, but I'm using DS3617XS.

• 2 weeks later...

@timonych thanks for earlier help.

hope you are keeping well.

i have been able to get things working with DS3617xs. Now facing a strange issue when i am trying to  connect with quick connect it is throwing an error message

The System failed to perform the requested operation, the unknown error.

have you faced this issue and how did you manage to fix the issue... i am trying to work with Moments and then want to work with S3/Glacier for backups later.

but for Moments, i need quick connect working.

could you please shed some light, thanks in advance.

9 минут назад, ontljoshi сказал:

@timonych thanks for earlier help.

hope you are keeping well.

i have been able to get things working with DS3617xs. Now facing a strange issue when i am trying to  connect with quick connect it is throwing an error message

The System failed to perform the requested operation, the unknown error.

have you faced this issue and how did you manage to fix the issue... i am trying to work with Moments and then want to work with S3/Glacier for backups later.

but for Moments, i need quick connect working.

could you please shed some light, thanks in advance.

Hello, 

For quick connect You need a Real Synology.

Or You can use DDNS with XPenology.

20 минут назад, ontljoshi сказал:

hi... i have configured DDNS - dnsomatic and still the same error. not sure what am i missing thanks!

You need External Access to Your Home Network. Maybe asked You Network Operator about Public IP address. (In my country there is an option which is called "Static IP address")

I have successfully installed Synology Moment and connect via ddns. (But I never used it)

Screenshot_2021-01-08-23-45-55-763_com.synology.moments.jpg

IMG_20210108_234627.jpg

IMG_20210108_235324.jpg

Screenshot_2021-01-08-23-54-08-579_com.synology.moments.jpg

Edited by timonych

On 10/24/2020 at 10:30 AM, arkilee said:

To make it easier, and you can now find this repository all jun's bootloaders with virtio/9p loaded for all dsm version:

- synoboot_103b_ds3615xs_virtio_9p.img

- synoboot_103b_ds3617xs_virtio_9p.img

- synoboot_104b_ds918plus_virtio_9p.img

HTH

Thanks everyone for templates and support. I started to try out out Xpenology in Proxmox after stumbling on the Geeked youtube.

I followed 6.2_23739 clean image which I think was in the YT video. It worked well, but was a lot older release and had some bugs. I moved onto the 6.2.3-25426 and all the bugs were gone.

I had issues getting this running with synoboot_103B_ds361Xxs_virtio_9p.img or boot loaders using a 3615 and 3617 image.

it doesn't start my drives until slot 7 or up and  will then not see my pass through hard drives, except for External hard drives. It looks like this may be an known issue with boot loaders and editing where the ata, usb and other drives start, and max drives. I increased the max drives, but my passthrough hard drives still showed as external drives.

So I went back to the  vzdump-qemu-xpenology-3617xs-6.2.3_25426.vma (withouth virtio_9P) and the drives were in the right order and all works well and stable.

Will this be a problem going forward for updates I wonder?

I really like Xpenology in Proxmox, but being new to it all, I don't have the experience to know how simple upgrades may be in the future.

I think keeping the drives as passthrough may help challenging upgrades in the future, in case one must blow away or do a clean install, and it would allow them to repair the volume/SHR arrays, but I don't know for sure.  I may build/test an unraid setup instead of proxmox/xpenology, but it wasn't my first choice :)

Let me know if you also noticed this behavior with the virtio bootloader, and what risks upgrades have for xpenology in proxmox may have going forward.

Thanks again,

Xpenology is a pretty impressive.

3 hours ago, bisch said:

Thanks everyone for templates and support. I started to try out out Xpenology in Proxmox after stumbling on the Geeked youtube.

I followed 6.2_23739 clean image which I think was in the YT video. It worked well, but was a lot older release and had some bugs. I moved onto the 6.2.3-25426 and all the bugs were gone.

I had issues getting this running with synoboot_103B_ds361Xxs_virtio_9p.img or boot loaders using a 3615 and 3617 image.

it doesn't start my drives until slot 7 or up and  will then not see my pass through hard drives, except for External hard drives. It looks like this may be an known issue with boot loaders and editing where the ata, usb and other drives start, and max drives. I increased the max drives, but my passthrough hard drives still showed as external drives.

So I went back to the  vzdump-qemu-xpenology-3617xs-6.2.3_25426.vma (withouth virtio_9P) and the drives were in the right order and all works well and stable.

Will this be a problem going forward for updates I wonder?

I really like Xpenology in Proxmox, but being new to it all, I don't have the experience to know how simple upgrades may be in the future.

I think keeping the drives as passthrough may help challenging upgrades in the future, in case one must blow away or do a clean install, and it would allow them to repair the volume/SHR arrays, but I don't know for sure.  I may build/test an unraid setup instead of proxmox/xpenology, but it wasn't my first choice :)

Let me know if you also noticed this behavior with the virtio bootloader, and what risks upgrades have for xpenology in proxmox may have going forward.

Thanks again,

Xpenology is a pretty impressive 

Could you please share the link to boot loader you used. I can't get LSI controller recognized, so can't pass drives to xpenology.  Every other VM works fine with this controller and pass. 

• 2 weeks later...

For those, who wants to passtrough several harddrives, please just buy a sata controller 4/6 ports (20$ - 30$ , check in this forum for compatible an positive feedback) and then just passthrough this "sata controller" card to the VM with proxmox.
This way, all your disks :
-
will be compatible to real synology hardware, in case of you may plan to migrate to it in the future
- will be able to perform SMART test and get SMART info/error (and temp) from Xpenology
- I think sleep/hibernate HDD works better and save you electric ...
Well, just go for it if you plan to use it as our main NAS.

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Bart82 said:

Hello all

i Passthrough a  SATA Pci Controller.

It just chows me 4 of my 8 HDDs.

The first of them showing me on the 7 Position in the Drive Manager.

Can Someone Help my ?

What other controllers are in the system?  At least one virtual SATA controller for the loader, but do you have a second one?  You will need to tweak your controllers, adjust SataPortMap and DiskIdxMap, or all of the above to correct it. https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/12470-how-to-play-around-with-hdd-mapping-with-sataportmap-and-diskidxmap/

If you see 1/2 of your HDD's and you are not out of slots, it's likely you have a port multiplier on your controller which is not supported.  Post the controller type and someone here will know for sure.

• Thanks 1