XPEnology Community

DSM 6.x Proxmox Backup Template

timonych

Thank you for the new DSM 7 backup. Works great except for installing Synology Drive. It looks like its a problem made by Synology and fixed in DSM 7.1 Is it possible that there will be a 7.1 backup in the near future?

Besides that, thank you for the great work here in the community!

• 3 weeks later...

Здравствуйте!

Пытаюсь обновить, но выдает ошибку "операция не возможна. Выполните вход в DSM и повторите попытку"

Если же пытаешься обновить по воздуху, то выдает ошибку "Сбой подключения"

Edited by ToBBuS

• 3 weeks later...
В 07.06.2022 в 12:40, ToBBuS сказал:

Здравствуйте!

Пытаюсь обновить, но выдает ошибку "операция не возможна. Выполните вход в DSM и повторите попытку"

Если же пытаешься обновить по воздуху, то выдает ошибку "Сбой подключения"

Приветствую!

Обновить в лоб не получится. Необходимо обманывать загрузку ядра через загрузку с USB. 

Пытался как то обмануть, но безрезультатно, поэтому плюнул на это.

В 17.05.2022 в 18:16, hagbrain сказал:

Thank you for the new DSM 7 backup. Works great except for installing Synology Drive. It looks like its a problem made by Synology and fixed in DSM 7.1 Is it possible that there will be a 7.1 backup in the near future?

Hello! 

It greats that DSM 7 is working, but it's not my backups :)

AAlso I have read that DSM 7 doesn't come with greater functions, but comes with big problems. So, be careful and always do backup before doing anything.

4 минуты назад, Linus сказал:

Hi timonych thank you! 

The version vzdump-qemu-666-DMS7-DS3615xs.vma.zst template is working on my Proxmox 7.2-3

Again thank you!

Hello! You are welcome :) 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hello

I've my proxmox on two disks on hardware RAID card, so I've to use a virtual drive to my xpenology installation and data

Is it better to add a third disk to the VM only for the data and keep the 2nd hdd 8GB only for the OS or is it better to increase 2nd disk size and have my data partition in that disk too?

Thank you

1 час назад, alefello сказал:

Hello

I've my proxmox on two disks on hardware RAID card, so I've to use a virtual drive to my xpenology installation and data

Is it better to add a third disk to the VM only for the data and keep the 2nd hdd 8GB only for the OS or is it better to increase 2nd disk size and have my data partition in that disk too?

Thank you

Hello,

As You wish, there is no any requirements.

For my, I'm using a separate Virtual Disk Drive for Data

image.thumb.png.064c4ab944953b55a2e30a5ddb94db00.png

On 7/16/2022 at 4:38 PM, timonych said:

Hello,

As You wish, there is no any requirements.

For my, I'm using a separate Virtual Disk Drive for Data

image.thumb.png.064c4ab944953b55a2e30a5ddb94db00.png

Ok

On another website I found an intresting guide which recommends to keep the data drive separated from OS drive (if maybe there are problems with OS you could detach data and play around to make Xpenology working again and then attach data disk back) and to have synoboot loader as USB emulated drive instead of SATA drive. What about that? I'm using it as USB emulated drive, but the thing I notice is that I could potentially "safely remove" it from DSM which it's a thing I don't like, and it's shared as usbdrive1-1 in my network locations. The pro is that I think the loader is made to run from USB, so it's running "as designed". What do you (or anybody else) think about it running from HDD or USB? What are the pros and the cons?

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/15/2020 at 5:50 PM, mcdull said:

I did not use the template. I just use the raw loader.  mount the first partition in r/w mode and there is a file under grub folder. 

You need to modify the below "TWO" files.

grub.cfg

grubenv

how to mount first partition and where - in proxmox or in console after starting VM?

В 17.05.2022 в 18:16, hagbrain сказал:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1nw-TGysHe47rAJukZI-SB61aSklSVNbw/view?usp=sharing 7.1 

• Thanks 2

15 часов назад, mckormcik сказал:

Great! That's works! Can you make an another one whis loader from DSM DVA3221 or DVA1622. There is 8 cameras for Synology Survelliance. Thanks! 

Loader https://github.com/pocopico/tinycore-redpill/tree/develop

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi Everyone!

I have success with installing DS3622xs DSM 7.1.1 49262 with GitHub - fbelavenuto/arpl: Automated Redpill Loader

But the clean size of backup is about ~ 3.3GB.

I can publish and try to install and backup other systems.

But I should know - is it problem to download so huge backup ?

I not, I'll publish DS3622xs DSM 7.1.1 49262 and mae for other systems.

4 hours ago, timonych said:

Hi Everyone!

I have success with installing DS3622xs DSM 7.1.1 49262 with GitHub - fbelavenuto/arpl: Automated Redpill Loader

But the clean size of backup is about ~ 3.3GB.

I can publish and try to install and backup other systems.

But I should know - is it problem to download so huge backup ?

I not, I'll publish DS3622xs DSM 7.1.1 49262 and mae for other systems.

Did you compress the backup when you created it?  3.3GB isn't too big IMO, there isn't an inherit downside to it being "too big".

Do keep in mind that the backup might have IP protected data in it that Synology Inc. wouldn't like.

1 час назад, cwiggs сказал:

Did you compress the backup when you created it?  3.3GB isn't too big IMO, there isn't an inherit downside to it being "too big".

No, I don't try to use compression. Only clean backups with ZSTD. (GZIP mode will save next 500 Mb. Can try also 7zip)

1 час назад, cwiggs сказал:

Do keep in mind that the backup might have IP protected data in it that Synology Inc. wouldn't like.

Can You, please, explain or share more information about this? I don't know about IP protected data.

2 hours ago, timonych said:

No, I don't try to use compression. Only clean backups with ZSTD. (GZIP mode will save next 500 Mb. Can try also 7zip)

If it's in the ZSTD format then it is compressed using the zstd algorithm already.  https://pve.proxmox.com/pve-docs/chapter-vzdump.html

2 hours ago, timonych said:

Can You, please, explain or share more information about this? I don't know about IP protected data.

I don't know the details of this, other than a vague understanding that there is IP in the DSM software after it's been setup.  Not sure if that IP is after you include the pat file or just after TCRP builds the img, or some other time.

15 часов назад, cwiggs сказал:

If it's in the ZSTD format then it is compressed using the zstd algorithm already.  https://pve.proxmox.com/pve-docs/chapter-vzdump.html

I thought that You've meant some other compressions.

15 часов назад, cwiggs сказал:

I don't know the details of this, other than a vague understanding that there is IP in the DSM software after it's been setup.  Not sure if that IP is after you include the pat file or just after TCRP builds the img, or some other time.

Ok, thanks for information. 

So, have published the most popular systems and have started a new topic.

DSM 7.x Proxmox Backup Template - DSM 7.x - XPEnology Community

Edited by timonych
  • Like 1