XPEnology Community

DSM 6.x Proxmox Backup Template

timonych

Thanks for the link

it is a card from Ali-expres.
as long as I don't assign it to a VM all 8 disks will be are listed in Proxmox.
In Xpen i can see only 4HDDs plus the 2 virtual ones of the VM.
If I pass the card to Openmediavault VM also all 8 are shown.
However, I would rather have the Xpenology

PcIe SATA Karte 8 Port 6G SATA Controller Expansion (Marvell)

image.thumb.png.f1f988f7f117d465efb1062468b5cdaf.png

image.thumb.png.3d95382fbef42f77dc2f1c310e56451f.pngd8782b90-0271-40e9-ab18-e0c1a8d78b48.thumb.jpg.9b6b88b4bfeb0aadd3891331d3095286.jpg

1 hour ago, Bart82 said:

Right on the product page it says this: Support FIS switch or command switch based on port multiplier

Also: SATA port multiplier is not supported if the driver is not installed

There is no driver for this controller in the DSM kernel.

Edited by flyride
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Everybody, been playing with this tutorial just to see if ProxMox is a way to go for Xpenology. Already have Xpenology running on Baremetal and ESXI so wanted to try this.

Th back-up is brilliant and works really wel! Thank you for that!

I am just wondering, what is the best way to attache storage to the VM?

I already have a ZFS pool on the PROXMOX host and I could create a virtual disk, but not sure how the performance and reliability is.

In ESXI I got some instability when I created a volume based on 4 vmdk. So I opted to just create a small VMDK and just mount a NFS share from a TruenNAS device. That way I can have the storage available for more then one host.

I guess I can host a LXC container with a NFS server on it and share the ZFS with it to create a NFS share which I can mount in the XPENLOGY vm.

But it kind of sounds a bit complicated and I am introducing more point of failures.

Other option (maybe best one) is sata passthrough, but not sure if I can do that on my Microserver Gen10Plus.

Anyway, hoping to hear from you guys!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi All,

thanks for all your help. Especially @timonych thread creator.

well, now i am at a junction where moments is not showing pictures and videos uploaded from Apple iPhone. it throws an error more or less compatibility error.

"Can not display or playback this format or the file is currently being converted *.HEIC"

one of my friend had the same issue he said well he has the Synology device but as i can't afford so i resorted to XPeonolgy. But he could upgrade the app and perhaps to the latest version of DSM. so i tried to update mine DSM 6.2.3.25426 to update 3 but its failing. with error File corrupt or not ready.

any one tried update the DSM?

please help.

3 hours ago, ontljoshi said:

Hi All,

thanks for all your help. Especially @timonych thread creator.

well, now i am at a junction where moments is not showing pictures and videos uploaded from Apple iPhone. it throws an error more or less compatibility error.

"Can not display or playback this format or the file is currently being converted *.HEIC"

one of my friend had the same issue he said well he has the Synology device but as i can't afford so i resorted to XPeonolgy. But he could upgrade the app and perhaps to the latest version of DSM. so i tried to update mine DSM 6.2.3.25426 to update 3 but its failing. with error File corrupt or not ready.

any one tried update the DSM?

please help.

actual error i'm getting is "Fail to update file, file is probably corrupt."

On 8/26/2020 at 5:02 PM, Pengo said:

Hello everyone,
I have the same problems with the installation of the update. I also tried to install the update manually, unfortunately without success.
Can anyone help us?

Hi

i have the same problem. so looking for answers.

On 4/2/2021 at 10:12 PM, ontljoshi said:

Hi

i have the same problem. so looking for answers.

You should set the bootloader as a usb drive and update your pid and vid. After that you can succesfully update.

To do this; detach the 50m drive within proxmox.

Then ssh to your proxmox setup and place the synoboot.img file in the following folder:

/var/lib/vz/images/107/synoboot.img

Replace 107 with the id of your xpenology install.

When that is done adjust your vm conf file within:

/etc/pve/qemu-server/<VMID>.conf

VMID is the ID of your vm.

On the top of the file add: 

args: -device 'nec-usb-xhci,id=usb-bus0,multifunction=on' -drive 'file=/var/lib/vz/images/107/synoboot.img,media=disk,format=raw,if=none,id=drive-disk-bootloader' -device 'usb-storage,bus=usb-bus0.0,port=1,drive=drive-disk-bootloader,id=usb-disk-bootloader,bootindex=999,removable=on'

Replace 107 with the ID of your xpenology install in Proxmox.

Reboot the xpenology VM and start a ssh session to your xpenology and follow the steps below:

- Start a root session with: sudo -i and reenter the password

Find vendor ID;

# Find vendor id and product id of bootloader usb disk
 lsusb
|__usb1          1d6b:0002:0310 09  2.00  480MBit/s 0mA 1IF  (ehci_hcd 0000:00:1a.7) hub
[ ... ]
|__usb9          1d6b:0002:0310 09  2.00  480MBit/s 0mA 1IF  (xhci_hcd 0000:00:01.0) hub
|__usb10         1d6b:0003:0310 09  3.00 5000MBit/s 0mA 1IF  (xhci_hcd 0000:00:01.0) hub
|__10-1        46f4:0001:0000 00  3.00 5000MBit/s 0mA 1IF  (QEMU QEMU USB HARDDRIVE 1-0000:00:01.0-1)

# Vendor id (46f4) and product id (0001) is found
# Set these in grub.cfg
# In order to not be automaticaly mount in dsm 
 sed -i \
-e "s/\(set vid=\)\(.*\)/\10x46f4/g" \
-e "s/\(set pid=\)\(.*\)/\10x0001/g" \
/volumeUSB1/usbshare1-1/grub/grub.cfg

# (Optional) Set different serial number or mac
 mySN="1330LWN023501"
 myMAC1="DE0C1A817DE8"
 sed -i \
-e "s/\(set sn=\)\(.*\)/\1${mySN}/g" \
-e "s/\(set mac1=\)\(.*\)/\1${myMAC1}/g" \

Reboot the xpenology and update!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi, thanks for the reply.

I tried to create the folder but there was a permission issue. so i  created a folder using shell commands. but i am facing another issue.. i can't copy .img file from my pc to the .../101/

so  What I did :
1. allow ssh in the DSM web page configuration
2. Putty's login with an admin account (access dsm 6.2.xxxx using ssh)
3. sudo -i + pwd to become root
4. change the root pwd : synouer --setpwd root (+choosen password)
5. edit (vi or any) /etc/ssh/sshd_config and make sure there is a line "PermitRootLogin yes" and it's not commented
6. REBOOT
7. connect the DSM with an SCP tool using SCP protocol and the root + password you've just enabled before

but no luck,  infact in sftp logon what i could see root folder structure no longer visible and can only see /homes and /home folders in sftp connection.

so i am stuck here that i can't connect over SFTP using root account and missing root file structure. any thoughts?

On 4/8/2021 at 4:59 PM, ontljoshi said:

Hi, thanks for the reply.

I tried to create the folder but there was a permission issue. so i  created a folder using shell commands. but i am facing another issue.. i can't copy .img file from my pc to the .../101/

so  What I did :
1. allow ssh in the DSM web page configuration
2. Putty's login with an admin account (access dsm 6.2.xxxx using ssh)
3. sudo -i + pwd to become root
4. change the root pwd : synouer --setpwd root (+choosen password)
5. edit (vi or any) /etc/ssh/sshd_config and make sure there is a line "PermitRootLogin yes" and it's not commented
6. REBOOT
7. connect the DSM with an SCP tool using SCP protocol and the root + password you've just enabled before

but no luck,  infact in sftp logon what i could see root folder structure no longer visible and can only see /homes and /home folders in sftp connection.

so i am stuck here that i can't connect over SFTP using root account and missing root file structure. any thoughts?

Well you should'nt be in dsm since this file (synoboot.img) has to be copied inside the proxmox storage. (the drive you have installed proxmox). 

You can use the ip of proxmox with username root and your password.

When I try creating VMs with arkilee's .vma file, I get the following messages during the restore though DSM does come up

WARNING: You have not turned on protection against thin pools running out of space.
WARNING: Set activation/thin_pool_autoextend_threshold below 100 to trigger automatic extension of thin pools before they get full.

What if anything do I need to do to fix this?

Also, a display isn't configured but a serial port is. Using "qm terminal <vmid>" after starting the VM takes me some time. How do I open a terminal to look at the serial output without missing any characters?

Thanks

Edited by unmesh
Clarity

On 4/6/2021 at 12:27 PM, RobbieT said:

You should set the bootloader as a usb drive and update your pid and vid. After that you can succesfully update.

To do this; detach the 50m drive within proxmox.

Then ssh to your proxmox setup and place the synoboot.img file in the following folder:

/var/lib/vz/images/107/synoboot.img

Replace 107 with the id of your xpenology install.

When that is done adjust your vm conf file within:

/etc/pve/qemu-server/<VMID>.conf

VMID is the ID of your vm.

On the top of the file add: 

args: -device 'nec-usb-xhci,id=usb-bus0,multifunction=on' -drive 'file=/var/lib/vz/images/107/synoboot.img,media=disk,format=raw,if=none,id=drive-disk-bootloader' -device 'usb-storage,bus=usb-bus0.0,port=1,drive=drive-disk-bootloader,id=usb-disk-bootloader,bootindex=999,removable=on'

Replace 107 with the ID of your xpenology install in Proxmox.

Reboot the xpenology VM and start a ssh session to your xpenology and follow the steps below:

- Start a root session with: sudo -i and reenter the password

Find vendor ID;

# Find vendor id and product id of bootloader usb disk
 lsusb
|__usb1          1d6b:0002:0310 09  2.00  480MBit/s 0mA 1IF  (ehci_hcd 0000:00:1a.7) hub
[ ... ]
|__usb9          1d6b:0002:0310 09  2.00  480MBit/s 0mA 1IF  (xhci_hcd 0000:00:01.0) hub
|__usb10         1d6b:0003:0310 09  3.00 5000MBit/s 0mA 1IF  (xhci_hcd 0000:00:01.0) hub
|__10-1        46f4:0001:0000 00  3.00 5000MBit/s 0mA 1IF  (QEMU QEMU USB HARDDRIVE 1-0000:00:01.0-1)

# Vendor id (46f4) and product id (0001) is found
# Set these in grub.cfg
# In order to not be automaticaly mount in dsm 
 sed -i \
-e "s/\(set vid=\)\(.*\)/\10x46f4/g" \
-e "s/\(set pid=\)\(.*\)/\10x0001/g" \

# (Optional) Set different serial number or mac
 mySN="1330LWN023501"
 myMAC1="DE0C1A817DE8"
 sed -i \
-e "s/\(set sn=\)\(.*\)/\1${mySN}/g" \
-e "s/\(set mac1=\)\(.*\)/\1${myMAC1}/g" \

Reboot the xpenology and update!

That's nice of you, @RobbieT, to help ppl by copying and paste a part of my tutorial.
Of course, u can copy/paste as much as u want to help ppl ... But u know, what is even better and nicer ?
It's to specify the source where it comes from https://www.uxora.com/other/virtualization/55-install-xpenology-dsm-6-2-x-on-proxmox#Changexpenologyparameteringrub.cfg . ;) 

• 2 weeks later...

I have seen that some of you have mounted your hard drives directly in Xpenology instead of creating virtual hard drives.

I run proxmox on an intel nuc, on which the VM is installed. There are two SSDs in the NUC and I connected a 4TB WD RED via USB 3.0.

Do you know whether it is possible to control these hard drives directly without Xpenology recognizing them as a USB device? I would like to integrate the second SATA SSD and USB hard drive directly so that they can then easily be added again in newer versions, or if the system should fail, without loosing data.

So far I have only managed to pass through the USB port, but the hard drive could not be used normally.

On 10/21/2020 at 7:21 AM, arkilee said:

I uploaded ds3615xs and ds3617xs to this mega repository https://mega.nz/folder/PIwmHShI#US9fXR2VBZvg1_I3q0N8ZQ

Theses backups have virtio (with rng and ballooning working but without compaction) and 9p.

EDIT: LOL SOLVED. DIDN'T SELECT THE RESTORE LOCATION 🤦‍♂️

I tried to restore, but received this error.

image.thumb.png.2cf4fba049d7a7eba552a73d6725f1c7.png

restore vma archive: zcat /mnt/pve/hProxmox/dump/vzdump-qemu-xpenology-3617xs-6.2.3_25426_virtio_9p.vma.gz | vma extract -v -r /var/tmp/vzdumptmp24721.fifo - /var/tmp/vzdumptmp24721
CFG: size: 733 name: qemu-server.conf
DEV: dev_id=1 size: 52428800 devname: drive-sata0
DEV: dev_id=2 size: 8589934592 devname: drive-sata1
CTIME: Tue Oct 20 10:18:37 2020
error before or during data restore, some or all disks were not completely restored. VM 100 state is NOT cleaned up.
TASK ERROR: command 'set -o pipefail && zcat /mnt/pve/hProxmox/dump/vzdump-qemu-xpenology-3617xs-6.2.3_25426_virtio_9p.vma.gz | vma extract -v -r /var/tmp/vzdumptmp24721.fifo - /var/tmp/vzdumptmp24721' failed: storage 'local2' does not exist

The 3615xs image that I got works fine.

Edited by C-Fu

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/24/2020 at 10:30 PM, arkilee said:

To make it easier, and you can now find this repository all jun's bootloaders with virtio/9p loaded for all dsm version:

- synoboot_103b_ds3615xs_virtio_9p.img

- synoboot_103b_ds3617xs_virtio_9p.img

- synoboot_104b_ds918plus_virtio_9p.img

HTH

Anyone please help me upload the files to gofile.io, I can't access mega.nz here. thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Guys,

awesome Work, quick Question:

I installed Xpenology-Ds3617xs-6.2.3 on a Proxmo 6.3-3 Host.

1. Im unable to use the Promox Console with the VM to see any output? - I only can access it via web.

2. When I want to reboot the vm, I am running in a timeout. 

Any solutions for this?

Thanks

Max

2 hours ago, maxleonffm said:

Hey Guys,

awesome Work, quick Question:

I installed Xpenology-Ds3617xs-6.2.3 on a Proxmo 6.3-3 Host.

1. Im unable to use the Promox Console with the VM to see any output? - I only can access it via web.

2. When I want to reboot the vm, I am running in a timeout.  

Any solutions for this?

Thanks

Max

Point 2 - I was missing the PowerButton SPK Package. Now its working.

Point 1 - Still not possible :D