XPEnology Community

DSM 6.x Proxmox Backup Template

timonych

20 часов назад, arkilee сказал:

I created a proxmox backup template for ds3615xs with virtio drivers added and based on timonych's one.

It can be downloaded here:
https://mega.nz/file/XZwAwYAC#3kIcZ8C3heA9UBTAUKdora74I7qes6kUVTrXkla3e9w

Virtio_net network seems to work fine and it can reach 13Gbits/s on my host rig.
Virtio_blk seems to work as well, but disk are not recognised by dsm ... and it doesn't really matter because up to some test( on ssd drive) sata disk are as fast as virtio disk.

I haven't tried pci/disk passtrough, but it should work with "q35" conf.
Well let me know if this has issue.

@timonych Please feel free to add this backup to your mega repository.

@arkilee

Great Work! Bit Thanks for dump. 

I have added to https://mega.nz/fm/h7pwlSaS (in subdirectory).

Can You make for ds918 and ds3617 too, please?

On 10/1/2020 at 7:34 AM, timonych said:

@arkilee

Great Work! Bit Thanks for dump. 

I have added to https://mega.nz/fm/h7pwlSaS (in subdirectory).

I am lost! Downloaded extracted and change the file extension to .izo and uploaded to the proxmox server under dump. What is next?

1 hour ago, timonych said:

Restore the dump

Ok, did that but i get this error by restoring.

restore vma archive: lzop -d -c /var/lib/vz/dump/vzdump-qemu-xpenology-3615xs-6.2.3_25426_virtio.vma.lzo | vma extract -v -r /var/tmp/vzdumptmp4313.fifo - /var/tmp/vzdumptmp4313
TASK ERROR: command 'set -o pipefail && lzop -d -c /var/lib/vz/dump/vzdump-qemu-xpenology-3615xs-6.2.3_25426_virtio.vma.lzo | vma extract -v -r /var/tmp/vzdumptmp4313.fifo - /var/tmp/vzdumptmp4313' failed: got timeout

В 09.10.2020 в 18:39, tronba сказал:

The which i have downloaded extracted was ending .vma. What i did change was vma.lzo

Is that also correct?

If You have download *.lzo - You don't need to extract it. It native format of Proxmox Backup's. 

Just Go to WEB UI to Backup Storage, choose the backup and just click on Restore

image.thumb.png.440095451871f3356ffc16ecf319ce66.png

On 10/12/2020 at 10:20 PM, timonych said:

If You have download *.lzo - You don't need to extract it. It native format of Proxmox Backup's. 

Just Go to WEB UI to Backup Storage, choose the backup and just click on Restore

image.thumb.png.440095451871f3356ffc16ecf319ce66.png

Ok, i did that and it works now like a charm. Thanks. However when i for the first time log on to the NAS it says "you have connected with 10/100mbit network" it should be 1GB right?

Another question, can i this version update via DSM or will that be break the system when i do that? How can i really update the DSM?

On 10/14/2020 at 12:34 PM, tronba said:

However when i for the first time log on to the NAS it says "you have connected with 10/100mbit network" it should be 1GB right?

Don't take this msg seriously. If it's virtio, it can go higher than 10Gbs from vm to vm.

On 10/14/2020 at 12:34 PM, tronba said:

How can i really update the DSM?

First, it's better to check before on this forum to know if the update is working for your system.

For minor update, it normally can be done directly with web gui like in normal synology
For major update, if the bootloader still works with new dsm version, then it can be done as normal update.
If bootloader does not work, then need to get a working bootloader and change the bootloader ... then do a migration update ( same as you change synology machine).

On 10/1/2020 at 7:34 AM, timonych said:

I uploaded ds3615xs and ds3617xs to this mega repository https://mega.nz/folder/PIwmHShI#US9fXR2VBZvg1_I3q0N8ZQ

Theses backups have virtio (with rng and ballooning working but without compaction) and 9p.

For ds918+ version, I didn't succeed to make it work on proxmox, even with your ds918+ backup ... does it work for you?
For me, it just freeze just after the grub menu. So I cannot really make a backup template for this one.

For those who wants to make it run the bootloader as usb:
- Comment or remove sata0 disk
- Then edit your <vm id>.conf by adding args like in this example for id 108 :

args: -device 'nec-usb-xhci,id=usb-bus0,multifunction=on' -drive 'file=/var/lib/vz/images/108/vm-108-disk-0.raw,media=disk,format=raw,if=none,id=drive-disk-bootloader' -device 'usb-storage,bus=usb-bus0.0,port=1,drive=drive-disk-bootloader,id=usb-disk-bootloader,bootindex=999,removable=on'

Well, bootloader as usb works for me so it may works for you too.

Edited by arkilee

В 21.10.2020 в 02:21, arkilee сказал:

I uploaded ds3615xs and ds3617xs to this mega repository https://mega.nz/folder/PIwmHShI#US9fXR2VBZvg1_I3q0N8ZQ

Theses backups have virtio (with rng and ballooning working but without compaction) and 9p.

For ds918+ version, I didn't succeed to make it work on proxmox, even with your ds918+ backup ... does it work for you?
For me, it just freeze just after the grub menu. So I cannot really make a backup template for this one.

For those who wants to make it run the bootloader as usb:
- Comment or remove sata0 disk
- Then edit your <vm id>.conf by adding args like in this example for id 108 :

args: -device 'nec-usb-xhci,id=usb-bus0,multifunction=on' -drive 'file=/var/lib/vz/images/108/vm-108-disk-0.raw,media=disk,format=raw,if=none,id=drive-disk-bootloader' -device 'usb-storage,bus=usb-bus0.0,port=1,drive=drive-disk-bootloader,id=usb-disk-bootloader,bootindex=999,removable=on'

Well, bootloader as usb works for me so it may works for you too.

Great! Copied to https://mega.nz/fm/h7pwlSaS

By the way, to make working ds918+ You need a fresh CPU.

I have a success with Xeon(R) Silver 4110, that's why I have published it too.

I can try to make with virtio If you will write some manual how do it.

27 minutes ago, timonych said:

Great! Copied to https://mega.nz/fm/h7pwlSaS

By the way, to make working ds918+ You need a fresh CPU.

I have a success with Xeon(R) Silver 4110, that's why I have published it too.

I can try to make with virtio If you will write some manual how do it.

Ok, great ... I just upgraded my vm xpenology ds3615xs dsm 6.1 with pci sata controller passtrough (4 disks attached to it) to dsm 6.2.3.
Got some trouble with migration (keeping setting and data) which was slow/freezing and unreliable ... but it works great once I did a new install Migration resetting setting to default with keeping data only. Just painful that I still need to reinstall all apps and all stuffs.

Indeed, for ds918+, I got old 6 yo AMD FX-8320E to run my VMs and it didnt work. But I can make work this ds918+ docker in a i7 linux laptop from this thread .
So maybe, you're right about that works better with intel cpu or newer cpu.

By the way, in this same thread, you can already find a ds918+ bootloader with virtio/9p that you can use to do backup template for ds918+.
HTH

22 hours ago, bgabika said:

May I ask, which setup and files could I install XPEnology under Proxmox whith following details?

I would like to use:

- hotplug hdd working (sata or scsi)

- 10Gbit nic connection

Well I found this tutorial which explains how to install xpenology dsm 6.2.3 on proxmox that may interest you:
https://www.uxora.com/other/virtualization/55-install-xpenology-dsm-6-2-x-on-proxmox

For hdd hotplug:

I've never used hotplug disk so cannot really help on it.
It may be working with a passtrough controller disk device which support hotplug and recognised by xpenology.
I saw a option "HddHotplug=0" in the grub.cfg that may be needed to be changed to make it work. 

For 10Gb nic :

You can do a passtrough device if you want a dedicated nic to xpenology.
Otherwise just add a virtio network to vm which is bridge to this nic, like this it can be used by several vm.

If you had the hotplug stuff working please share. :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello, after restore i start the vm went to find.synology setup the account then try update but always get corrupted file... is that normal?

I don't pretend keep the vm online, should i change mac and serial number, vid/pid?

@arkilee how can i know the vid/pid after the backup restore?

Thanks

Edited by codedmind

On 11/21/2020 at 6:23 PM, codedmind said:

Hello, after restore i start the vm went to find.synology setup the account then try update but always get corrupted file... is that normal?

I don't pretend keep the vm online, should i change mac and serial number, vid/pid?

@arkilee how can i know the vid/pid after the backup restore?

Thanks

Well I not really knows for bootloader as sata disk, maybe it works the same as usb ... but with bootloader as usb disk, you will need to change vid/pid to match the usb disk bootloader to be able to get the update working.

You can find instruction how to change to usb disk bootloader, or how to change vid/pid and SN in this website:
https://www.uxora.com/other/virtualization/55-install-xpenology-dsm-6-2-x-on-proxmox

10 minutes ago, arkilee said:

Well I not really knows for bootloader as sata disk, maybe it works the same as usb ... but with bootloader as usb disk, you will need to change vid/pid to match the usb disk bootloader to be able to get the update working.

You can find instruction how to change to usb disk bootloader, or how to change vid/pid and SN in this website:

Well i'm using as sata... but using sata or usb in proxmox how can i identify the vid/pid that i have?

12 hours ago, Erik29gamer said:

@arkileeAny advice  troubleshooting virtio issues? I'm using your 918+ img with virtio drivers. It functions, but caps out at 63Mbps. E1000 and vmxnet max out my nic, and the realtek nic doesn't work at all. I'm looking to upgrade to 10gb soon and was hoping virtio would help there.

As I said in my posts before, I cannot run a 918+ vm with my hardware ... so i wasn't really able to test or troubleshoot this one.
So i dont know for ds918+ vm, but I know virtio works pretty good on ds3615xs.

But to check if virtio network speed, you can test with iperf3 between the host and vm.
You can find iperf spk here: http://www.jadahl.com/iperf-arp-scan/DSM_6.2/iperf_geminilake-6.2_3.9-1.spk

23 minutes ago, codedmind said:

Well i'm using as sata... but using sata or usb in proxmox how can i identify the vid/pid that i have?

Maybe, try to read the article website I just gave you ... and you should find your answer for usb disk at least.
But sata disk, i'm not sure how to find vid/pid if it exists.

16 minutes ago, arkilee said:

Maybe, try to read the article website I just gave you ... and you should find your answer for usb disk at least.
But sata disk, i'm not sure how to find vid/pid if it exists.

Ok using the post and change it to usb then i'm able to upload with sucess.

Something weird is whit your image, virtio the dsm reports only 10/100Mbs connection