XPEnology Community

DSM 6.x Proxmox Backup Template

timonych

thank you for this!  super awesome.

A few good notes after I messed around with it.

• DS918 I was unable to get working on Proxmox 6.2
  • Must use SATA for the drives when adding (virtio or scsi do not work)
  • E1000 works best for the network card configuration

Anyone able to get virtio networking to work?  If so, able to get > 1gbit NIC to be found?

This week end I tried to get virtio network working.

I added modules (virtio, virtio_ring and virtio_net) from the following topic :

On a working dsm 6.2.2 with 1.03b bootloader for DS3615.

VM had 3 nics : 2 e1000e and 1 virtio.

The modules were loading fine, but ifconfig only listed e1000e interfaces :(

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Thanks a lot, it's very good.

Be carreful with Promox 6.2.4, you must rename backup template filename's with this format "vzdump-qemu-xxx-yyyy_mm_dd-hh_mi_ss.vma.lzo" !

Else you will an error "TASK ERROR: ERROR: couldn't determine archive info from '/var/lib/vz/dump/vzdump-qemu-xpnology-ds918-62.clean.vma.lzo'.

I think it can help you

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
В 01.02.2020 в 21:13, rostigue сказал:

Please, I installed the vzdump. How do I change the serial number ??? Thank you

Hello,

You can do it as standard manual 

Boot image is 60 MB image. But for what do you need change serial number?

В 19.05.2020 в 12:47, Takolag сказал:

Thanks a lot, it's very good.

Be carreful with Promox 6.2.4, you must rename backup template filename's with this format "vzdump-qemu-xxx-yyyy_mm_dd-hh_mi_ss.vma.lzo" !

Else you will an error "TASK ERROR: ERROR: couldn't determine archive info from '/var/lib/vz/dump/vzdump-qemu-xpnology-ds918-62.clean.vma.lzo'.

I think it can help you

Will write this information on Proxmox forum. 

I think it's a bug because before there was no such error. I have some backups with such naming (it more usefull for clean backup)

• 1 month later...

I have just installed DS918+ with your template on proxmox and it is working like a charm, thanks for that!!!!

Question1:

Current version is now: 1x care updated the DSM: DSM 6.2.3-25426

Now i see on the update page DSM 6.2.3-25426 update 2 is available, it downloads that but can't update that, it says downloaded file is corrupt..

Question2:

What about Serial nr. etc. Can i create a new serial nr. and create quick connect account? (I have the possibility to use own geniune serial nr of synology) is that possible?

Qustion3:

What about safety to use this template? Are there any username or like that branded on the installation image?

3 hours ago, tronba said:

Question1:

Current version is now: 1x care updated the DSM: DSM 6.2.3-25426

Now i see on the update page DSM 6.2.3-25426 update 2 is available, it downloads that but can't update that, it says downloaded file is corrupt..

Hello everyone,
I have the same problems with the installation of the update. I also tried to install the update manually, unfortunately without success.
Can anyone help us?

I did not use the template, as I did not learn this thread when I prepare my migration.

I confirm that PVE 6.2 can run 6.2.3-25426 update 2, but I installed straight from the pat file.

vmxnet3 as network card is much faster than E1000, although both are rated at 1Gbps, but will go beyond 1gbps connection.

with 1000E, the speed is like 160MB.

with vmxnet3, the speed is up to 350MB.

quickconnect works if you own geniune serial number with associated mac address.

I used the loader only.. (synoboot.img), nothing else. you need to modify the img so that the serial number and mac address changes with the genine serial you got.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/29/2020 at 10:53 AM, mcdull said:

I did not use the template, as I did not learn this thread when I prepare my migration.

I confirm that PVE 6.2 can run 6.2.3-25426 update 2, but I installed straight from the pat file.

vmxnet3 as network card is much faster than E1000, although both are rated at 1Gbps, but will go beyond 1gbps connection.

with 1000E, the speed is like 160MB.

with vmxnet3, the speed is up to 350MB.

quickconnect works if you own geniune serial number with associated mac address.

I used the loader only.. (synoboot.img), nothing else. you need to modify the img so that the serial number and mac address changes with the genine serial you got.

How did you manage to install 6.2.3-25426 update 2? Could you explain more in detail I am quite new and it always errors for me when I click update.
Thanks in advance for your time!

On 8/29/2020 at 10:53 AM, mcdull said:

When used the Template, where can i put the new mac address and change the serial number?

On 9/10/2020 at 11:17 PM, thierrybla said:

How did you manage to install 6.2.3-25426 update 2? Could you explain more in detail I am quite new and it always errors for me when I click update.
Thanks in advance for your time!

I need also to Update 2? How can we do that?

45 minutes ago, tronba said:

When used the Template, where can i put the new mac address and change the serial number?

I did not use the template. I just use the raw loader.  mount the first partition in r/w mode and there is a file under grub folder. 

You need to modify the below "TWO" files.

grub.cfg

grubenv

Edited by mcdull
more info

В 18.09.2020 в 12:26, maxime сказал:

In which folder did you upload the file .lzo?

You should upload it to folder with backup.

By default, Proxmox creates "local" Storage which is located in /var/lib/vz.

By the way, For information for All

I have successfully update XPenology to DSM 6.2.3-25426 without modifying anything. Just Press button in WEB Interface to Download new version and after it to Update. After reboot by XPenology was available by internet.

You can try to restore Clean XPenology from my backup and try it by yourself to experiment.

Hardware: AMD Ryzen 7 2700 / Asrock B450M Pro 4 and Proxmox 6.2.1 (proxmox-ve: 6.2-1 (running kernel: 5.4.60-1-pve))

P.S. but no success with Update 2 at this point.

image.thumb.png.cf6a65ffb3a5b7cf0456c1388beaee15.png

Edited by timonych
  • Like 1

On 9/15/2020 at 5:50 PM, mcdull said:

I did not use the template. I just use the raw loader.  mount the first partition in r/w mode and there is a file under grub folder. 

You need to modify the below "TWO" files.

grub.cfg

grubenv

Which RAW loader can i use on proxmox? Which one is it can you please send me a link???

Also can we edit this files also for dsm 5.2 and upload to vhd which is working under hyperv as VM.?

Edited by tronba

NEWS!

I have made clean version of ds3617xs, dx3615xs, ds918+ and have uploaded to mega.co.nz. 

Download Link:

Dowload link can be found in 1 Post.

Also this -> MEGA.CO.NZ

Works without modifying boot Image or custom QEMU configuration (not need e1000e in vmid.conf)

Works with old CPU (Tested on CPU(s) 8 x Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1245 V2 and FCLGA1155, so I think it will work on old platforms)

HOW TO install from Backup:

Video by Geeked on Youtube

Do not try to Update 2 as described in this post  (it fails and maybe break your system) -> 

Configuration default as image.

image.thumb.png.aaedf29ebc7825d6a50c6e1a3514d2ff.png

Edited by timonych

This has been a great thread to read and very timely for my circumstances.  Anyone had any success in taking this template a step further by editing the Jun loader within the dump file? I would like to edit the SataPortMap in the grub.cfg to go beyond the single disk limit in the template and use the pass through M1015 controller I have with 8 disks attached.  Using timonych's DS3617 file all I needed to change was the machine type from i440fx to q35 to see the PCIe card.

I see a lot of users in this thread asking for help to edit the same partition to change the serial number and MAC address.  So I guess we are all looking for steps to achieve the same thing!

Are the steps simply to download Jun's synoboot 3617_6.2 image file, make the changes to grub and somehow convert it to an lvm disk image to replace the 55MB one in timonych's restore file? maybe there is a much simpler way..

• 2 weeks later...

I created a proxmox backup template for ds3615xs with virtio drivers added and based on timonych's one.

It can be downloaded here:
https://mega.nz/file/XZwAwYAC#3kIcZ8C3heA9UBTAUKdora74I7qes6kUVTrXkla3e9w

This is the configuration of this backup:

CaptureXpenoDs3615xsProxmoxConfig.JPG.90f1aa368748e9a910e04f2430d7dd8f.JPG

Virtio_net network seems to work fine and it can reach 13Gbits/s on my host rig.
Virtio_blk seems to work as well, but disk are not recognised by dsm ... and it doesn't really matter because up to some test( on ssd drive) sata disk are as fast as virtio disk.

I haven't tried pci/disk passtrough, but it should work with "q35" conf.
Well let me know if this has issue.

@timonych Please feel free to add this backup to your mega repository.

• Like 1