XPEnology Community

error detected, all volumes have been removed

ScottVega

Hello everyone

I'm in a bit of a mess here. I have two identical HP EX490 MediaServers. I was running XPenology with 6.1.6 15266 ds3617xs just fine on one until tonight, when I accidentally unplugged the power cord. since then the server comes up, but says: "Error detected, all volumes have been removed" (in German: "störung erkannt auf NAS alle volumes wurden entfernt). I've tried several "Clean" shutdowns but it won't recognize the volume.

So since I have an identical EX490 around, i decided to use different drives of the same size and reinstall XPenology there with the same boot stick. But... nothing, it boots, shows the drives in Bios (got the VGA adapter) goes into the 1.02b loader and then nothing, no ping no ip. when i boot the server with a live linux or a WinPE the network works just fine. So i tried removing the drives with the data and set the spare drives into the once working one, with the same boot stick and again, nothing. no ip, no ping.

When i switch the drives back to the way they were, everything boots except for the volume.

In the meantime I've also tried different loaders 1.02b through 1.04 with different ds3617xs images. it always shows up once for installation and after reboot nothing...

does anybody have a hint for me what else to try?

thanks

HI DraconPern

Yeah, the thing is, when i boot the rig with Ubuntu i can access the volume. So i backuped all necessary data and inserted an empty disk with the same USB Bootloader attached. ...and nothing. find.synology.com won't find it, it doesn't aquire an IP address nor is it pingable. When i boot back into ubuntu everything is working fine.... i really don't know where to start looking.
Bios reset has been done on both machines.

Thanks for your help

Have you tried loading w/o any disks?  If your loader is really working you should at least get ip and ping.

Since you have at least one usb bootloader that works, you can boot it and enable ssh. Then login via ssh and then mount the working grub.cfg file to copy the working vid/pid/mac1.  May be the usb stick is having problems?  When I used rufus, I had to manually delete partitions off the usb stick for a write to be successful.

sudo mount -o rw,offset=1048576 /dev/synoboot /mnt

Some thoughts to try.  Have you tried 1.03b and ds3615 image?  Since your hardware is not that new that combo may work better instead of the ds3617 image.

Edited by DraconPern

Hi DraconPern

That's the weird thing. If I boot my "old" disks which doesn't recognize the raid volume it works, if I remove the disk, replace them with new ones (completely wiped according to ubuntu), the system boots, but doesn't get an IP address, still using the same usb stick. I've also tried different loaders from jun (1.02b, 1.03, 104) with various DSes (3617, 3615, 916, 918+), all of them don't get an IP. Also I've tried different USB Sticks from different vendors (also changing the IDs in grub.cfg) to no avail...