XPEnology Community

Quick Connect and XPEnology

Konfl1kt

Quick Connect is a combination of DDNS and remote proxy through a Synology server.  It uses outbound polling to determine whether a connection request is pending.  Therefore it does not need any ports opened on your firewall/router.  But you are 1) using their cloud service and not paying for it (hence the negative recommendation), 2) providing them your access passwords and 3) giving them access to whatever data you are transferring.  You are also trusting their security model with your access and your data.

You can get the same access by opening ports on your firewall/router for the services you want to consume.  There are any number of free DDNS services that will resolve your home IP if you do not have a static address.  This is what most folks do and there is even a Synology feature you can invoke (External Access | Router Configuration) where it will modify your firewall/router configuration for you, either via uPNP or actually editing the port configuration on your behalf.

Personally, I don't like the security implications of either of the above.  Instead I use Guacamole, an open source remote proxy, for remote RDP access to my PC (and therefore to the NAS as necessary), or SSH directly to the NAS/firewall/ESXi/whatever consoles. It runs on a VM or a Pi-type Linux device, and I am able to 2-factor to my phone for free using Duo Mobile.

Depending on what you want to achieve, or what you want to do on your NAS while away from home, 

there is also the option to install TeamViewer, giving you a "Remote Desk Top" to your NAS.

But if you want to ie. stream your homevideos using Plex (or any other mediaserver), you will have to "loosen up your security" and use portforwarding and DDNS.

@flyride: how would services like that, or DS Photo etc. work with your Guacamole setup?

57 minutes ago, bearcat said:

Depending on what you want to achieve, or what you want to do on your NAS while away from home, 

there is also the option to install TeamViewer, giving you a "Remote Desk Top" to your NAS.

But if you want to ie. stream your homevideos using Plex (or any other mediaserver), you will have to "loosen up your security" and use portforwarding and DDNS.

@flyride: how would services like that, or DS Photo etc. work with your Guacamole setup?

TeamViewer is a PC app which would give you the same functionality as RDP.  So nothing to be gained there.  I don't think you can TeamViewer the NAS console itself (all you will see is the boot screen).

The whole point of using Guacamole is NOT to open ports for remote access (aside from SSL to the proxy device which is separate from the NAS). In order to stream media (Plex, DS Video) to Internet devices, you will need to open ports - there is no other option.  This is also well outside the scope of OP's question about Quick Connect remote access services.

Personally, I don't like the security implications of either of the above.  Instead I use Guacamole, an open source remote proxy, for remote RDP access to my PC (and therefore to the NAS as necessary), or SSH directly to the NAS/firewall/ESXi/whatever consoles. It runs on a VM or a Pi-type Linux device, and I am able to 2-factor to my phone for free using Duo Mobile.

Or simply open VPN required ports to the world only. That is pretty safe in my opinion.

@flyride The TeamViewer comes as a mobile app as well, both for phones and tablets.

Yes, it will only give you the "desktop experience", but as a tool to manage the NAS, and use the "basics" it works very well,

and is easy for most people to get working in regards to firewalls and routers.

I helped a friend to set up this, to avoid having a PC running 24/7 as a TeamViewer "host" at his cabin, now he only need to have his NAS running

to access the needed things from his phone :-)

Edited by bearcat