XPEnology Community

10GB nic support on 1.03b

andymiller6891

Yes, the card(s) detect the speed automatically. One thing to mention: depending on the switch you use I would do some research on the SFP modules. I had a HP 10GB NIC (Intel chip) with SFP+ and DSM failed to initialize a connection. The reason was the original HP SFP module. When I changed it to a compatible Intel SFP module it worked fine.

hi,

the only thing that comes close would be

"NETWORK DRIVERS LIST"

what card did you have in mind?

i'd suggest to use dsm 6.1 with loader 1.02b, if using 1.03/dsm6.2 and 3615/3617 you will be stuck with 6.2(.0) atm, 6.2.1 is only working with 1.04 loader and thats only available for 918+ and i have'nt done a extra lzma package for this yet

only if hardware transcoding and nvme is a thing then 918+ might be of interest atm

I have a poweredge r510 with an LSI 9211-8i flashed and im currently running 6.2.1-23824 on juns loader 1.03b for 3615, runs fine updates fine.

I ordered 2 connect-x2 single ports cards last night for my clients and have my eye on an intel x520-da2 for my xpenology box although I have been reading also that Mellanox cards are also working in xpenology.

Edited by andymiller6891

13 hours ago, jensmander said:

Not quite correct. 1.03b for the DS3615XS works well with DSM 6.2.1 U2 on several bare-metal systems. But - as always - it depends on the hardware.

ok i did not read here for a a few weeks but the problem with 1.03 and 6.2.1 was that it was only reading the original synology drivers, so it only works of nic and storage are close to the original hardware, even jun's driver that came with 1.03 were not working

not sure if that was because driver signing protection kicked in or different kernel compiling options with dsm 6.2.1

depends of how you define working, maybe call it semi broken?

6 hours ago, andymiller6891 said:

I have a poweredge r510 with an LSI 9211-8i flashed and im currently running 6.2.1-23824 on juns loader 1.03b for 3615, runs fine updates fine.

thats because mpt2sas is part of what synology delivers with dsm

I ordered 2 connect-x2 single ports cards last night for my clients and have my eye on an intel x520-da2 for my xpenology box although I have been reading also that Mellanox cards are also working in xpenology.

dsm comes with mlx_core, mlx4_core, mlx5_core and in theory that would support MT264xx aka ConnectX-2

the intel nic you mention is driver "ixgbe", synology delivers that driver as version 5.1.3 with dsm 6.2.1, if you look into the revision history of that driver you can find out if your version is supported (most of the cheaper card on ebay will be older so it very likely to work)

also if you look into the HCL from synology then there is a x530-da2 so that one should work (the ConnectX-2 is not in the list but the ConnectX-3/4 is)

https://www.synology.com/en-us/compatibility?search_by=category&category=network_interface_cards&p=1

Edited by IG-88

• 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

I've just built a new box and used an intel x550-t2 I had issues with the system crashing and had to trouble shoot in the end it was the firmware on the card. I updated to the latest and it works fine.

I tried with bootloader 1.02 and 1.03 I settled on bootloader 1.03 with ds3615 and it works well. 6 hdds in raid 6 for large files I get 540Mbps unencrypted share and 480Mbps with encrypted. I think the x540 is just plug and play. I'm not using a switch I have a peer to peer connection had to amend the mtu to 9000 to match my pc to get the full speed.

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/27/2019 at 9:38 PM, kazuni said:

HP NC523SFP does not work.

that depends :-)

that would be be QLogic cLOM8214 as chipset wanting qlcnic.ko as driver

if it runs with the driver present in kernel 4.4.59 then it will run in a few days, its part of the new extra.lzma i'm doing for 918+

3615/17 might be more of a problem as its using old kernel 3.10.x, if this old driver in the kernel do than its ok but if it needs external source then it might be a problem (i'm using broadcom bnx2x based and tehuti myself so thats what i can really test)

i also have latest ixgbe and i40e drivers for intel 10G nic's integrated  (that needs testing)

if the initial release for 1.04b and 918+ is out i'm open to insert new drivers (will also look for 3615/17 but not do that much as it will run out and has older kernel with less supported hardware)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

What's the cheapest 10GB nics that I can add to a HP MicroServer Gen8 to use as an adhoc network with another ESXi server that will work with both bare metal (what I will probably migrate to) and via ESXI (where I have my XPenology today) that's compatible with XPEnology running latest DSM?

One port and two port options would be awesome!

Edited by jjlolo

• 1 year later...
9 hours ago, SodaPoPDima said:

Does anyone know if Synology's own native 10GB cards will work?  They have become somewhat affordable now.

if replacing a synology driver its usually a newer driver supporting more hardware, so synology branded hardware should always work

(like the tehuti 10g nic driver, synology only supports one phy they use but the replacement driver supports all)