XPEnology Community

Virtualbox - DSM 6.2 DS3615Xs - config

renegadeBE

Hi,

Dsm 6.2 (DS3615XS) WORK to Virtualbox.
I managed to run dsm 6.2 (ds3615) on Virtualbox, be careful that version 6.2.1 does not work). It will be necessary to download the good spk on the syno download center.

You must first configure grub (the mac address must match the one entered in the vm), then convert the .img file to .vdi (VBoxManage convertfromraw --format VDI "source file path" "target file path" ).

In the settings of the VM, you have to use as storage manager: SATA (override all others). In first pausition put the IMG file converted to VDI, then all other virtual disks.

In the system settings of the machine (tab motherboard), choose the number of processor and memory allocated (2 processors for me and 2048MB of RAM) and especially used chipset ICH9 (otherwise does not start correctly).

In the network card part, enable card, bridge access, advanced settings, choice of Intel PRO / 1000MT Desktop card.
Be careful to fill in the correct mac (same as grub).

Usb: default (use usb 1.1)

Serial port: enabled (COM1 - disconnected)

When starting the machine, choose baremetal option.

Good fun :-)

confvirtualbox.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi All

Newbi here, tried to follow the above configuration to have DSM6.2 but first thing is to

You must first configure grub (the mac address must match the one entered in the vm

But I cannot find any how to for the first step.   Please help.. 

I have got 6.1 working on virtualbox before, but I don't have to do that just configure the MAC address on the VM configuration.  Please help.

Oliver

• 2 months later...

Hi. Same issue as Olivier. I used to be able to run DSM 6.1. But here, I am stuck on the network configuration. No idea what means "configure grub". If I boot the VM and run the Synology Assistant, this one does not find the VM.

NB.: VirtualBox is running on my Windows PC! Isn't grub file only for Linux ?

Edited by vletroye

Il y a 15 heures, vletroye a dit :

Hi. Same issue as Olivier. I used to be able to run DSM 6.1. But here, I am stuck on the network configuration. No idea what means "configure grub". If I boot the VM and run the Synology Assistant, this one does not find the VM.

NB.: VirtualBox is running on my Windows PC! Isn't grub file only for Linux ?

OK, I got it, reading  this

Citation

You MUST edit this IMG file with OSFMount image mounter (Win, free). If you don't have Windows, download and install Windows 10 into VM on ESXI. You can use evaluation version for free.You need to edit IMG file to set the correct Serial Number (SN) and MAC address.

SN gives your a Synology a unique identity, and allows you to create an account with Synology, so that you can access your Synology drive over internet. It seems you are well-versed in porting. You can ignore SN. You are right, you will have better speeds and privacy with your own VPN.

MAC allows you to find synology drive on your own network, when you type http://http://find.synology.com/ in your browser. You can manually set MAC address (any address really), but you must insure you specify the same address in your VM setting under "Network Setting". If your http://http://find.synology.com doesn not find synology, this is number one reason why this happens. 

Don't worry about PID and VID.

After you edit this file save the changes.

• 1 year later...

Hello,

I've downloaded 1.03b loader for ds3615xs but when i want to convert synoboot.img to synoboot.vdi the command prompt say that :
image.png.4606d7a7d3301746b98bec0a6151b93b.png

Synoboot.img is damaged, why ?

I've dowloaded the loader with XPEnologyTool.

In advance, thank you for your answer,

Best Regards,

commands : 

cd "C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\"

VBoxManage convertdd synoboot.img synoboot.vdi

OR

VBoxManage convertfromraw --format VDI synoboot.img synoboot.vdi

On 6/17/2021 at 8:35 AM, VologZ said:

Hello,

I've downloaded 1.03b loader for ds3615xs but when i want to convert synoboot.img to synoboot.vdi the command prompt say that :
image.png.4606d7a7d3301746b98bec0a6151b93b.png

Synoboot.img is damaged, why ?

I've dowloaded the loader with XPEnologyTool.

In advance, thank you for your answer,

Best Regards,

commands : 

cd "C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\"

VBoxManage convertdd synoboot.img synoboot.vdi

OR

VBoxManage convertfromraw --format VDI synoboot.img synoboot.vdi

Use StarWind V2V converter. Convert to VMDK file. Youll create your vdi (Dive to install dsm to) manually

Le 24/06/2021 à 04:06, syno406 a dit :

Use StarWind V2V converter. Convert to VMDK file. Youll create your vdi (Dive to install dsm to) manually

Okay, thanks for your answer, i tried it with my friends (he is on VMWare) but when he install DSM, the installation is stuck at 56%.

Do you know why ?

• 6 months later...

@syno406

It's been a long time now :-).  It only worked on a much earlier version (dsm 6.2-23739), during installation you must import the correct installation file: (see link)

https://global.download.synology.com/download/DSM/criticalupdate/update_pack/23739-2/synology_bromolow_3615xs.pat

Don't update.

I don't know if this information will still be useful to you... ne sais pas si ces informations te seront encore utiles...