XPEnology Community

2FA authentication fail - can't get in

milosv

Question

Hi guys,

I used 2FA authentication for DSM access for 2 years. last few months my 2FA codes stopped working properly and I had to use emergency email code - that worked fine.

I would then reset 2FA and it worked again until few weeks ago.

2FA codes don't work again and this time when I use emergency code via email - no email is received (waited for 2 weeks, tried many times, checked spam solder) - meaning email settings have stuffed up or Google has changed something in Gmail again.

In any case, I can't get the 2FA code to work. I can still access data via mapped drive but I can't get into DSM settings at all.

• I am on DSM 5.2 - can I just upgrade to 6.17 and password or 2FA can be reset?
  • Or do I reinstall fresh 6.17 and I can just restore data?

I have backed up essential data already but ran out of HDD space to back up non-essential data. worst case scenario I have all backups I really need but would like to avoid copying 5TB of data via usb 2.0 if possible.

any help or guidance is appreciated.

18 answers to this question

Can you connect via SSH? If the answer is yes try this:

sudo find /usr -name google_authenticator

The result should be:

/usr/syno/etc/preference/YOURUSERNAME/google_authenticator

Remove the entry with:

rm /usr/syno/etc/preference/YOURUSERNAME/google_authenticator

(replace YOURUSERNAME with your real username)

Reboot with „sudo reboot“ and try again to log in

4 hours ago, jensmander said:

Can you connect via SSH? If the answer is yes try this:

sudo find /usr -name google_authenticator

The result should be:

/usr/syno/etc/preference/YOURUSERNAME/google_authenticator

Remove the entry with:

rm /usr/syno/etc/preference/YOURUSERNAME/google_authenticator

(replace YOURUSERNAME with your real username)

Reboot with „sudo reboot“ and try again to log in

When I use Putty after entering my correct username and password putty just shuts down without any further prompts. I tried multiple times.

2 hours ago, bearcat said:

Does your NAS have the correct date and time ?

I believe so, I have entered the new website and tested it and updated it. I do know what you mean and that's the most likely culprit but since I can't get in I can't do anything about it.

1 hour ago, milosv said:

When I use Putty after entering my correct username and password putty just shuts down without any further prompts. I tried multiple times.

I think that you're trying to login with a standard user, not an account which belongs to the admin group. Only users which are members of the admin group can login via SSH. You should try the admin user which was created during your setup/install.

Edited by jensmander

12 hours ago, jensmander said:

I think that you're trying to login with a standard user, not an account which belongs to the admin group. Only users which are members of the admin group can login via SSH. You should try the admin user which was created during your setup/install.

I did use the admin user, I disabled the default admin and created my own. but SSH crashes after login details are entered so not sure SSH was setup correctly.

grrrrr...damn you 2FA :)

22 hours ago, milosv said:

I believe so, I have entered the new website and tested it and updated it. I do know what you mean and that's the most likely culprit but since I can't get in I can't do anything about it.

You could enter the BIOS, and check/adjust time and date, unless your NAS is configured to sync with a "wrong" NTP server?

9 hours ago, milosv said:

n. but SSH crashes after login details are entered so not sure SSH was setup correctly.

grrrrr...damn you 2FA :)

You‘re sure about the admin user AND that SSH is enabled in DSM? Another approach would be a live Linux boot, mounting the hdds and running the above mentioned commands.

Edited by jensmander

Hello,

I am in the same situation.

2FA enabled, phone lost and its saying that email service notification not enabled.

Tried via putty but its saying connection refused, tried both 22 , 50 port. I have r3seted the served, same issuse. I dont kown if ssh is enabled, for this server i never used.

Is the any way to rezolve?

Ive seen on juns loader in boot is a option for command promt, is there a command line to reset 2PFA? 

Thank you in advace.

@milosv : Some users have been able to "reset" their configs, by doing a "migration" install.

If you create a new USB stick, using another "base" than you currently have, ie. using DS3617 if you now are using DS3615, 

you wil be "fooling" you system to think your moving your HDD's to another NAS, and you will get the choice to keep data and setting, or just data.

If you keep just that data, all your old settings and apps will be "lost", and you need to configure a new admin user with a new password.

The same might be done using the same base, but a different DSM version, forcing a reinstall of DSM, keeping the data.

But be warned  I give you NO guaranty that it will solve your problem, and loss of data may occure! (and your house might burn down and your cat run away ;-) )

• Like 1

@bearcat that was a great idea, and it almost worked until I stuffed up and instead of manual install PAT file I downloaded I clicked on install thinking it would ask me later...it didn't. It installed the latest 6.21 so now I am trying to downgrade the unit.

but the idea was brilliant, my execution was poor :)

thank you all, I'll try and downgrade to 6.1 and see if it works.

hi all, I have managed to install 6.2 on a blank HDD and then re-introduced NAS HDDs and after a repair I have all my data and 6.2 installed. thank you all. I have re-enabled 2FA and hopefully this time there won't be any issues.